Lessons are geared towards the student goals, but emphasis is placed on playing with a good feel, developing strong technique, understanding the role of the drum kit in music and being a creative rounded musician.
During an hour lesson, I start with a warm up (usually a military snare drum piece or familiar song for younger students) and then working on key areas of playing including reading and improvisation.
Many of my students pursue graded exams (100% pass rate) with Rockschool and Trinity, I am able to prepare them for these milestone and help to establish a strong practise routine.
Most of all, lessons are fun with and challenging in equal measure.
I am an experience professional performer and tutor, having studied at Leeds College of Music and maintaining a busy gig schedule.
My current teaching posts include University of Nottingham (music degree students), Ockbrook Independent School (Derby), Play Jazz (Derby University Adult Education) and my own private practice (home studio).
I have prior experience with teaching primary age students drum kit and snare drum in schools, and feel comfortable teaching beginners through to mentoring aspiring professionals.
2017-Present: Drum Kit Tutor for University of Nottingham
- Delivering one to one drum kit tuition to degree level as part of the degree music programme
- Taking advanced ensemble groups, preparing students for ensemble recitals within the jazz idiom
- Interpreting text based and graphic scores for performance on the drum kit
2013-Present: Co-ordinator of Jazz Education for Lincolnshire 'Miles Ahead' programme
- Designing music education framework, syllabus and materials for flagship education programme
- Working with schools, promoters, musicians and teachers to bring the best local, national and international artists
to work with school children ages between 11 and 18
- Developing jazz music summer schools for Lincoln & Spalding, creating teaching resources and successfully
delivering the programme which has subsequently become an annual event now in the fifth year.
2012 - 2016: Nottinghamshire primary schools: drum kit and military drumming tuition
- Ruddington St Peters Junior School, Keyworth Primary School, East Bridgeford Primary School, Radcliffe on Trent
2011-2013; Nottingham Drum Centre: drum kit, Latin percussion and orchestral percussion tuition
2009-Present; Private Drum Kit and Theory Tuition
Specialist areas of delivery include:
- Improvisation, developing a unique voice on the drum kit
- Conceptual study, independence & interdependence of the 4 limbs as applied to the drum kit
- Transcription, learning the language of jazz & pop percussion
- Ensemble skills, the role of the drummer in various ensemble scenarios both notated and improved
- Professional development, industry skills such as interpreting charts, arranging, stylistic approaches
2008-Present; Andrew Wood Music Services
- Freelance live and studio music performance, establishing a reputation as a top UK jazz drummer
- Working alongside UK & International jazz artists including: Tony Kofi, Dave O’Higgins, Tina May, Dennis Rollins
- Performing with British Pop/Funk/Rap artists including: Harleighblu (2016 UK & Europe Tour) & Scorzayzee (2015
‘Peace to the Puzzle’ Album)
- Residencies as house jazz trio in hotel and club settings with touring artists
For performance videos & audio and for further information please see my website ((concealed information)
I studied learning drums with Andrew for 3 years, starting as a complete novice and eventually getting into a college to study music. Each lesson was the highlight of my week, because he individually tailored every session to push my drum playing while also keeping things musical and fun. He's a friendly fellow and all round good bloke. Being a professional drummer, he can also provide plenty of insights into the music world. Absolutely would recommend to anyone!
Andrew is an awesome dude, very adaptive to individual needs and will bring out the best in you, highly recommended!
I’ve changed drums tutor 3 times over the years and Andrew is definitely the best teacher I’ve ever had! I’ve only been training with him for a few months and I can already see the improvements, even though I have little time to practice. He always manages to put me at ease and explain things clearly so that I can follow, learn and execute. He’s always open to accomodate my requests and he makes sure he answers all my questions exhaustively. It doesn’t hurt that he’a a lovely guy! :) Andrew is a real professional, highly recommended!
Andrew is the epitome of what it is to be a good tutor. Combining a deep breadth of knowledge and experience with a friendly and highly accessible communication style, make studying with him fun and engaging - and very effective. Progress for students like myself is fast and quantifiable.
drum lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£34||Not available||Not available|