You're in good hands because you will learn from someone who loves to learn and knows how to create engaging learning experiences, so you will gain filmmaking knowledge and practical skills. I will focus both on technical aspects as well as artistic, helping you go beyond the basics into the advanced so you can excel as a creative and independent filmmaker.
I take students of all ages and experience levels and adapt my style to suit your needs.
You can choose how you want to learn:
1) 10 hour beginners course in practical filmmaking. I have a plan that will take you from nothing to finished short film.
2) Tailored coaching sessions based on your questions, challenges and curiosities, where we take one session at a time.
3) Some combination of both these options - I will share the course content guide and you can say what aspects you want to focus on.
Whichever you choose, you will gain practical skills and artistic insights in the areas of filmmaking you're interested in. We can go wide and learn about everything, or we can focus on just one or two skills and hone that craft, whatever you wish.
My sessions will be focused on technical and artistic aspects of film with a strong bias towards practical projects. I answer questions, give feedback, teach with slideshows, share useful links and can guide you through a whole film project.
Additionally, I am constantly learning and do not preach to be a guru of all knowledge in regard to filmmaking as it is a constantly evolving art form, so I hope to be a role model of learning and growth.
Finally, when you choose me as your filmmaking coach, I hope to provide a friendly, accepting and enjoyable learning environment. I do not expect anything from you except only that you wish to learn.
Thank you for your attention.
With much respect, Charlie
I have a degree in Film Production from the Arts University Bournemouth, and I've been professionally producing films and videos for clients for 13 years. I produced a feature length documentary and started self distributing it in 2018. It has been translated into 8 languages, bought, screened and seen in over 50 countries, will be shown on a TV channel this year and is making a positive impact in education around the world.
I have experience in various domains of film and video:
1) Professional documentary filmmaking
2) Client focused promotional video production
3) Artistic experimental filmmaking
4) Drama filmmaking
5) Comedy filmmaking and comedy sketches
And with a wide variety of film related skills:
- Editing (my professional expertise)
- Sound design and sound editing (my professional expertise)
- Producing (documentary)
- Self-Distribution (documentary)
- Production sound mixing (sound recording)
- Boom operating
- Cinematography and camera operating
- Presenting and hosting for videos
- Documentary interviewing
- Software: Adobe Premiere, Pro Tools, Photoshop, After Effects, Final Draft, Google Sheets & Google Drive (these last two are incredibly useful for producing and self distributing your films)
During COVID-19 I can only do online sessions and the rate is £25 per hour.
S U M M A R Y
- Independent filmmaker with 13 years of professional experience
- Producer, director, self-distributor
- Talented editor, expert in Adobe Premiere
- Sound design specialist
- Authentic writer with a passion to tell meaningful stories
- Experienced performer for theatre and indie films
E X P E R I E N C E
Producer, Director & Editor
School Circles documentary feature film | Jun 2017 - now
- Designed script & concept and collaboratively led the production
- Edited a 1h 28min film and 50min broadcast version
- Color graded and sound designed feature film
- Distributed the film worldwide (over 50 countries & 8 languages)
- Sold broadcast license to Brazilian TV channel (Canal Futura)
Wondering School | Aug 2016 - now
- Edited videos using Adobe Premiere and Adobe After Effects
- Directed and filmed short videos for YouTube channel
- Wrote short video scripts with educational themes
Filmmaker & Videographer
Freelancer | May 2010 - now
- Filmed and edited over 50 short films and videos
- Planned and wrote scripts with clients for promotional videos
- Directed clients and actors to produce desired outcome
- Color graded and sound edited these films and videos
Teaching & Facilitating
- TEFL Teacher: taught English to groups of teenagers through engaging activities and an entrepreneurial project
- Activity Leader: leading entertainment activities for teenagers
- Volunteer educator in an alternative school
- Facilitated workshops around group decision-making
Writer & Performer
Enthusiast | 2004 - now
- Wrote a feature screenplay, short film scripts, comedy sketches & poetry
- Occasional actor for short films, audio stories & comedy sketches
- Wrote and performed poetry to large audience (with standing ovation)
- Public speaking for community project
E D U C A T I O N
BA Film Production | Arts University Bournemouth
Sound design specialization | Sep 2008 - May 2012
- First class for final dissertation: How does sound alter visual perception?
- Wrote, directed and designed sound for university films
South Dartmoor Community College
A Levels & GCSEs | 2000 - 2007
A Levels: Drama (B), Media Production (B), History (D)
GCSE: Drama (A*), English (AA), Science (AA), Maths (A), + more
Further training | 2012 - 2020
- Producing Certificate | London Film Academy | 5 days intensive course
- Selling, Marketing and Distributing Film | London Film School | 2 days
- TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) Training | 2 days intensive
- Creative Writing | Exeter College | 20 classes
- Screenwriting Masterclass with Aaron Sorkin (online)
- Filmmaking Masterclass with Werner Herzog (online)
- Filmmaking Masterclass with Martin Scorsese (online)
- Filmmaking: Write, Direct and Distribute Your Feature Film (online)
- UnLtd Changemakers | 2 day Social Entrepreneurship training
Perfect! A very patient and friendly tutor who has really helped me to improve my personal film project!
Great student, great person :)
Charlie is an excellent and dedicated professional. His skills and international experience can be checked at School Circles documentary. This video is the result of a hard work, filming, editing and interviews at schools located in the Netherland. He is also able to work in multicultural environments. His work is well known in academic ambients in more than 50 countries and he just lived in UK, Portugal, Brazil, Spain and Netherland.
Charlie's knowledge of film making has been developed over a decade of involvement with the craft of planning, scripting, and realising a variety of projects to a highly professional standard. Most recently he has dedicated himself to documentary film making. This has required Charlie, after carrying out extensive research, to commit to months of highly immersive involvement in the subject of the film, carrying out extensive interviews and observations. Lately this has been in the world of the alternative practise taking place in the radically different from mainstream world of sociocratic schools in Holland.
Charlie's technical expertise covers, planning, scripting, filming, sound design, managing translation for subtitles, editing and distribution. His work is available on several platforms and is currently scheduled for broadcasting on a Brazilian TV channel.
cinema lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest production lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, script writing for film lessons for all!
Taking audio-visual arts lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||£25|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||£125|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||£250|