Fun, focussed, clear, engaging, creative. My students need to have access to their instrument to practice. I like using my material when studying at Drummers Collective in New York but am open to suggestions. I am particularly strong on Latin Jazz, Afro Cuban Rhythms, West African Rhythms and exploring polyrhythms on drum kit, percussion and even a combination of the two i.e. congas and bells and Bass drum patters.
Professional player with academic ethnomusicology background. I have travelled to and worked in Africa and Latin America and have played professionally in London for 20 years. Please have a look at my CV for more detail.
I am particularly interested in teaching intermediate and advanced players who which to approach drums and percussion in a creative way and diversify their playing.
Name Tobias Stürmer
Personal Profile: I am a musician, music teacher, workshop facilitator and cultural promoter. I am passionate about encouraging positive social change through music making in different communities. I specialise in community music, schools, adult education and Family Learning. I teach inspiring and fun workshops on musical creativity, self-expression, team building, leadership skills and social interaction.
I am passionate about bringing people together as equals through music making. I seek to inspire new levels of dialogue and understanding, as well as tolerance and appreciation of differences. Through music, I promote integrated ways of learning leading to an inclusive, structured and dynamic artistic environment.
• Highly creative musical practitioner.
• Professional multi-instrumentalist specialising in percussion, tuned percussion and guitar.
• Experienced artistic director and associate artist.
• Cultural awareness, understanding and appreciation.
• Ability to inspire others to engage deeply.
• Peoples’ skills and confidence.
• Team Building, Leadership Development and Coaching.
Experience Facilitator of rhythm based music workshops for:
• Royal College of Music community research projects, 2014.
• Royal Opera House, London, 2012.
• Goethe Institute, London, 2013.
• NAME (National Association of Music Education) 2012
• Gate Theatre, London, 2010.
• Akademy, South Asian Dance 2011
• Imperial College, London, 2010.
• Wandsworth Schools Music, London, 2011.
• Centre for Young Musicians (CYM), London, 2005.
• City Literary Institute, London, 2006.
• Laban Centre of Dance and Movement, London, 2005.
• Live Music Now! London, 2002.
• THAMES Music Services, Tower Hamlets, 2012
• Dance United, since 2010
• City University, 2003
• Musicbox, Oxford since 2015
• West Oxford Community Association since 2018
• Brookes University, Oxford 2019
• African Dance Oxford, since 2016
Facilitator and artistic director for corporate music and team building workshops for:
• Sewa Beats, Switzerland, UK, France, 2005.
• Drum Café, UK, 2001.
• Drum Café, Germany, 2009.
• Rhythm Coaching, Germany, 2009.
• African Dance Oxford, since 2016.
Initiator and director of percussion school Djembe Kreativ Cologne, Germany 2006-2009
• African Drumming courses (all levels)
• Family Learning
Composer of music educational modules for primary school for:
• STEP UP Project for Wandsworth Schools Music, London, 2010.
• SOUNDBYTES for A&C Blacks Publishers, London, 2006.
• Music Express for A&C Blacks Publishers, London, 2006.
Creator and director of Yaaba Education 2010-14. Planning and delivery of music workshops for:
• Akademi, London, 2011.
• Spark Festival of Arts for Children, Leicester, 2012
• Symphony Hall, Birmingham, 2013
• Royal Opera House 2013.
• Defcon Workshops, UK, 2010.
• Wandsworth Schools Music, 2010.
• Clod Ensemble, 2013
Social Entrepreneur Initiator, producer, artistic director, and project manager of musician support schemes in Casamance, Senegal, 2004.
Artistic director, and producer of musician support initiative in Luwero, Uganda, 2003 with the London based church St Mary’s.
Artist Composer and producer of the CDs:
• Afrobeast, Yaaba Funk, London, 2009.
• Brixton Beach, Émigré, London,2002.
• Porzellan Musik, Germany, 2006.
• La Musique Diola, 2006.
• The Music of Kiwoko, 2001.
• Beautiful People, with Azul, 2000.
• Sodium and Neon, with Jason Lyon Quartet, 2001.
• Sindoola, Oumar Sagna 2009.
• My Vote De Count, Yaaba Funk, 2013
Development of porcelain musical instruments with father Walther Stürmer, Germany, 2006. Coordinator and composer for the multi media porcelain exhibition Bild Ton Objekte (music, art and video installation) at the Keramikmuseum Westerwald, Höhr-Grenzhausen, Germany, 2008.
As professional musician performed with:
Yaaba Funk, Bollywood Brass Band, Gate Theatre, Unicorn Theatre, Cholomenleys Dance Company, Baka Beyond , Badejo Arts Dance Company, Frititi Dance Company, Roberto Pla, Mosi Conde, Moropa Drum Orchestra, Songlines International Choir, Ran Kan Kan, Horns of Plenty, Oxford Improvisers, Seby Ntege, Papa Nui, African Dance Oxford, Bamako Overground, Gerardo y su Rumbache.
Collaborations with Choreographers: Amaara Raheem (since 2010), Sally Dean (2008), Florence Peake (2008), Nuno Silva (2009), Genevieve Grady (2005), Preethi Athreya (2007)
Musical instruments played:
Drum-kit, Cajon, Congas, Bongo, Timbal, Guitar, Kalimba, Marimbula, Trumpet, Bass, Voice, Djembe and Dun Duns.
Education • Currently enrolled in Permaculture Diploma, UK Permaculture Association, 2018
• Level 2 Certificate in Practical Horticulture, Abingdon &Whitney College 2016
• Numerous horticulture, gardening and food-growing workshops 2016-present
• Step Change Professional Development Programme, National Theatre, London, 2010.
• Professional development seminars with
- Music Leader, UK,
- Wandsworth Schools Music,
- Goethe Institut London, 2010.
• Regular training sessions on special music education topics at Wandsworth Schools Music.
• Apprenticeship with many African musicians performing in London:
- Peter Badejo (Nigeria)
- Nana Tsiboe (Ghana)
- Nii Tagoe (Ghana)
- Thebe Lipere (South Africa)
- Baba Kone( Bourkina Faso)
- Landing Mane (Senegal)
- Ndiaga Isa Mbaye (Senegal)
- Richmond Kessie (Ghana)
• Workshops with Famoudou Kounate (Masterdrummer from Guinnea) in Germany in 2006 and in 2009.
• Mmus in Ethnomusicology, SOAS, London, 2002.
Focus on African music in society.
• Jazz Diploma, Mannes College of Music, New York, 1993.
• Extensive Private study with Kim Plainfild, John Amira, Billy Hart, Bobby Senabria, Bob Weiner, Frank Malabe, 1992.
• 2 year course at Manhattan Drummers Collective, 1991.
International Countries visited professionally:
UK, Germany, France, Switzerland, Venezuela, Senegal, Uganda, USA,
German (fluently), English (fluently), Spanish (fluently), French (conversational)
drum lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest percussion lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, jazz drumming lessons for all!
Taking djembe lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£30||£30|
|5 hours||Not available||£25||£150|
|10 hours||Not available||£25||£300|