I have a passion for teaching and am always looking to develop creative methodologies to enrich the learning experience of my students in their respective levels and individual goals. From my own background as a performer, I strongly believe that music transforms ourselves from the moment we embrace it in our lives and perform it. I love working with others, playing, teaching and creating. With students and professional musicians in Chile, I published the award-winning book New Music for Recorders by Chilean Composers. I have also done numerous community projects with students of different levels of recorder playing. I am looking forward to accompanying you and your children in that process.
Master in music from the Musikhochschule Köln (2002) and PhD candidate in performance (VIVA scheduled for December 2019) at the University of York, I have vast teaching and performing trajectory of more than 25 years, working at schools, universities, conservatories, and privately. As a performer, I integrate baroque and contemporary music ensembles, play as a soloist with orchestras, and work collaboratively with composers and artists in the development of artistic projects.
I have a 48-hour cancellation policy for my lessons.
I charge £30 for the one-hour individual lesson (£15 each on a duo, £12 each on a trio and £10 each on a quartet).
Children having a 30-minute lesson:
Group of 4 - £4.50
Group of 2 - £7.50
Individual - £15
A solid, autonomous and adaptable recorder performer, practice researcher and educator, interested in generating academic and artistic publications, motivating and supervising students, and creating collaborative and interdisciplinary performance projects.
University of York, UK
PhD in Music, Performance (2015 – present)
Thesis and portfolio of new performances and works for recorders, examining decision-making processes of and criteria for choosing the instruments and the creative implications of those choices. Supervisor: Dr Catherine Laws.
Musikhochschule Köln, Germany
Master of Music (1999 – 2002)
Modules included historically informed performance, contemporary recorder practice, recorder consort and recorder pedagogy. Supervisor: Manfredo Zimmermann.
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
Bachelor of Music and Musical Performer with Mention in Recorder (Hons) (1990 – 1997)
Keys Skills developed include: music theory, harmony, analysis, chamber music, music history, and recorder.
Master Classes (between 1992 – 2001)
Rodrigo Tarraza (Chile), Christine Gevert (Chile), Martin Heidecker (Chile), Paul Leenhouts (USA), Marion Verbruggen (Germany), Dorothee Oberlinger (Germany), Kees Boeke (Germany), Agnes Dorwarth (Germany), Carsten Eckert (Switzerland), Karsten Erik Ose (Germany).
Escuela Moderna de Música (Conservatory of Music), Chile
Recorder performance (1978 – 1985)
Since 1996, I have delivered teaching and tutoring sessions on the recorder, chamber music, aural skills, instrumental pedagogy and practice research. Also, I have assisted with programme development and student’s assessment strategies and assessing students at the following institutions:
• Universidad Academia de Humanismo Cristiano. Professor, Santiago, Chile (2009 –- 2015).
• Universidad Alberto Hurtado. Lecturer, Santiago, Chile (2012 – 2015).
• Les Chemins du Baroque, French Government Project. Recorder tutor, Chile and France (2006 – 2008).
• Universidad Nacional Andrés Bello. Lecturer, Santiago, Chile (2005 – 2015).
• Universidad Tecnológica de Chile INACAP. Professor, Santiago, Chile (2005 – 2013).
• Instituto Profesional Escuela Moderna de Música. Lecturer, Santiago, Chile (2003 – 2005).
• Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Villarrica. Recorder tutor, Santiago, Chile (summer courses 2003 – 2009).
• The Grange School, Santiago. Recorder tutor, Chile (2003 – 2006).
• Giordano Bruno School, Santiago. Recorder tutor, Chile (2002 – 2004).
• Musikhochschule Köln campus Wuppertal. Recorder tutor, Germany (2000 – 2002).
• Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Santiago. Recorder tutor, Chile (1996 – 1999, 2002 – 2004).
• Universidad de Chile. Recorder tutor, Chile (1996 – 1998).
Professional activity as a performer
As a recorder performer, I have commissioned, co-created, released and recorded more than 30 works for recorders in different instrumental settings. Also, I have researched and performed early music addressing medieval, renaissance, European and Hispano-American baroque repertoire as well as contemporary music. Core elements of my practice include developing interdisciplinary projects with theatre, dance and literature and the juxtaposition of epochs and styles in creative ways.
As a soloist, I have been invited by several orchestras such as The University of York Chamber Orchestra, the Classic Orchestra of Universidad de Santiago de Chile, the Philharmonic Orchestra of Temuco-Chile, the Chilean Philharmonic Orchestra, the String Orchestra of Universidad Mayor of Santiago, the Chamber Orchestra of Universidad Mayor de San Simón of Cochabamba-Bolivia, the String Orchestra of Universidad Católica de Valparaíso-Chile, the String Orchestra of Instituto Profesional Escuela Moderna de Música of Santiago-Chile, the String Orchestra of Musikhochschule Köln-Germany, the Santiago Philharmonic Orchestra of Chile and, the National Symphony Orchestra of Chile.
I have also participated in the following ensembles:
• Troncoso-Quek Duet, electroacoustic music, 2016 – 2019.
• Project (concealed information) 0, Opera commissioned by Shubbak, Abu Dhabi Festival, The Royal Opera Hause, Snape Maltings and PRS, 2016 – 2017.
• The Assembled, experimental music ensemble. University of York, 2015 – 2018.
• La Compañía de Céfiro, recorder ensemble, 2004 – 2015.
• Ensemble Terra Australis, dedicated to the research and performance Hispano-American baroque music, 2007 – 2015.
• Dúo Divertimento, Recorder & Guitar, 1997 – 2015.
• Arcadia Trío, Recorder, Soprano & Harpichord, baroque music ensemble, 1999 – 2000.
• Estudio Musicantigua, early music research and performance, 1995 – 1997.
Conferences, Lecture-Recitals, Workshops and Presentations given
• Concerts and conferences, Project ‘Voices: Works for Recorders and Digital Media created between 2016 – 2018’, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México and Mexican Centre for Music and Sound Arts (CMMAS), Mexico, 2019.
• Presentation, ‘The Coppel Project’, exploring the creative potential of instrumental agency and affordances, PG forum, University of York, 2018.
• Performance-Installation, ‘Audiovisual Afternoon at Shandy Hall’, showcasing film and audio works for recorders linked to poetry. The Laurence Sterne Trust at Shandy Hall, Coxwold, 2018.
• Conference, ‘Between old and new repertoire, instruments and styles’, new works for recorders and electronics. ‘Music, Medievalism, And Modernism; Between Old and New’, University of Huddersfield 2018.
• Presentation and Demonstration, ‘Double Pipes, Antique et Moderne,’ Composition Seminar, University of York 2018.
• Presentation and Electronic Music Concert, ‘Composer/Computer/Distance!’ Audiovisual Recordeur and Macrofistulus: An Audiovisual Narrative, DEGEM, Computer Music Conference, University of Sheffield 2018.
• Performance talk, ‘Joint Compositions: Concerto for Recorders and Chamber Orchestra,’ PG forum 2018, University of York, 2018.
• Presentation and audio-visual screening, ‘Macrofistulus, Interaction of Large-Size Instruments,’ Postgraduate Musicology Seminar, University of York 2018.
• Presentation and audiovisual screening, Audiovisual Recordeur I-II, ‘Activating Inclusive Sound Spaces Conference’, University of Huddersfield, 2017.
• Lecture Recital, ‘RECORDARI: exploring a non-linear juxtaposition of old and new repertoire’, The Arts & Philosophy Conference, University of York 2017.
• Presentation and audiovisual screening, ‘Audiovisual Recordeur I-II,’ Festival of Music and Sound Research, Composition, and Performance, Centre for Contemporary Arts (CCA), University of Glasgow 2017.
• Research poster presentation, ‘The Birth of a Hybrid,’ HRC PhD Research Poster Competition, University of York, 2017. Awarded an ‘Honourable Mention’ due to ‘challenging the scope of presenting a performance-led research project’.
• Lecture Recital, ‘Collaboration-based New Repertoire for the Electroacoustic Modern Alto Recorder: Oiseaux Métamorphique and Recordeur I-II,’ PG Forum, University of York, 2017.
• Presentation with live demonstration, ‘Early stages within the Recordeur project,’ Research Forum, University of York, 2017.
• Presentation, ‘The Recorder and Its Manufacturing,’ Research Forum, University of York, 2016.
• Lecture recital, ‘For Which Recorder Model Do You Want to Compose? Copiú 2015, Universidad de Chile, 2015.
• Workshop, ‘New music for recorders by Chilean composers using new techniques’, 31st ISME World Conference on Music Education, Porto Alegre, Brazil 2014.
• Conference, ‘From Exploration to Improvisation: Creative Practice with Recorders’, 31st ISME World Conference on Music Education, Porto Alegre, Brazil 2014.
• Conference, ‘Analysis of the Recorder School Teaching: Current Proposals’, ‘II Conference – Strengthening Musical Education: Areas of Teacher Development’, Universidad Alberto Hurtado, Santiago, Chile, 2013.
• Workshop, ‘Technical Principles for a Correct Recorder Playing – Methodological and didactic suggestions for the Instrument Teaching’, ‘II Conference – Strengthening Musical Education: Areas of Teacher Development’, Universidad Alberto Hurtado 2013.
• Lecture recital, ‘The sonic universe hidden in the recorder: a didactic proposal’, IV Music Conference: ‘Towards a Creative Musical Didactics: Contributions and impact for innovative musical teaching’, Universidad Mayor, Santiago, Chile 2013.
• Workshop, ‘Sonic Possibilities of the Recorder’, II conference of Music Teaching, Universidad Academia de Humanismo Cristiano, Santiago, Chile 2013.
• Lecture recital, ‘The sonic universe hidden in the recorder: a didactic proposal’, Conference ‘Music from the beginning’, Chilean-German Association, Santiago, Chile 2012.
• Conference, ‘In-ventando Project: presentation of Troncoso’s book New Music for Recorders by Chilean Composers’, Conference in Music Education, Universidad Andrés Bello, Santiago, Chile 2012.
Awards and Funds
• IBERMÚSICAS: Programme for the Promotion of Ibero-American Music, tour and research trip fund, Mexico, 2019.
• Trip Research Funds by the University of York. 2015 (England), 2016 (France and Scotland), 2017 (Germany), 2018 (France) and 2019 (Belgium).
• Conicyt Chilean Scholarship, for PhD studies at the University of York, 2015 – 2019.
• President of the Republic Award (Chile), for the Musical Edition of the book New Music for Recorders by Chilean Composers, 2014.
• Chilean Ministry of Culture grant, for recording the Chilean recorder concertos, 2013.
• President of the Republic Scholarship (Chile), for postgraduate studies at the Musikhochschule Köln, Germany, 2000.
• DAAD German Academic Exchange Service Scholarship, for postgraduate studies at the Musikhochschule Köln, Germany, 1999 – 2002.
• Oiseaux Metamorphique von Desmond Clarke. Review in Windkanal: Das Forum für die Blockflöte, 2019 Nº1.
• Sonata for Flute/Recorder and Piano by John Frith. Review in Windkanal: Das Forum für die Blockflöte, 2018 Nº2.
• Beyond (compact disc), recorders and electronics works, 2018.
• Concertos for Recorder and String Orchestra by Chilean Composers (compact disc), 2013.
• New Music for Recorders by Chilean Composers (book and compact disc), 2012.
• A Lágrima y a Fuego, Santísimo Sacramento en la Música de la España Virreinal (DVD), Terra Australis Ensemble, 2009.
• The Language of the Birds, Confabulations of Music and Poetry (compact disc), La Compañia de Céfiro Ensemble, 2009.
• ¡Cuándo, Mi Vida Cuándo! (compact disc), Terra Australis Ensemble, 2008.
• .CL (compact disc), Dúo Divertimento, new music by Chilean composers, 2008.
Other Professional Activities
• Creator of the In-ventando project for the performance, composition, recording and publishing of Chilean music for recorders, 2003 – 2012.
• Creator of the Incontri project, juxtaposing old and new music works and dance, 2004 – 2006.
• Creator of the Recordari project, exploring criteria for instrumental selection drawing on historical and etymological sources.
• Research Trip, ‘Residence with recorder performer Pierre Hamon: research into medieval music and double recorders’, Paris, 15-17 April 2016.
• Research Trip, ‘Residence with recorder maker Philippe Bolton: exploration of Bolton’s electroacoustic recorder and double recorder’, Villes sur Auzon, France, 18-21 April 2016.
• Research Trip, ‘Exploration of in-mic systems and research into the Paetzold recorder,’ Mollenhauer and Kunath workshops in Fulda, Germany, 20-23 June 2017.
One of the best recorder players AND musician that I know. With a huge experience in teaching. Very dedicated and caring with her students, every lesson is well and individually prepared.
I had the great oportunity to make music with her and watch her preparing lessons and teaching at a sommer academy we worked together as teachers.
Concert and Opera Singer
I have known Carmen for many years as an outstanding instrumentalist and teacher. Supported by a scholarship, she studied for 2 semesters with me at the Musikhochschule Köln/Wuppertal. As a lecturer I can recommend her without restrictions
Carmen is committed and passionate to her craft of performing the recorder. She is patient and fun to be around, and would be an excellent tutor!
Carmen is a wonderful and versatile recorder player and a very kind person. I’ve really enjoyed playing music with her for the last few years, and I highly recommend her as both a performer and teacher.
recorder lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£30||£35||Not available|
|5 hours||£130||£155||Not available|
|10 hours||£280||£330||Not available|