I have over 5 years of professional sewing experience, with a degree in Fashion Design from Kingston University. I currently work as a self employed seamstress with clients in bridal, lingerie, Menswear, womenswear and graduates. I teach sewing and garment construction at an independent fashion school in South West London.
I have an industrial machine, overlocker and iron at my home studio, and would be happy for students to learn in my home, or can teach on domestic machines in the student's home. I've detailed a list of a few things I can help teach!
- Professional seam finishes
- Drafting a basic block
- Altering ready made garments
- Hand sewing techniques
- Basic embroidery stitches/cross stitch
- Tops/dresses/skirts/jackets/coats etc
I've been teaching since July 2015, having taught well over 300 students from children aged 6 all the way up to adults! I've covered class sizes from one to one, to as a big as fourteen students, so am comfortable teaching individually or with your friends.
I regularly have the same students booking, recommendations from their friends, and repeat customers who have a set class each week. I'm very patient and methodical, and I teach in a very visual way so that everyone can learn and understand in a way that works for them.
Additional rates incurred if the student wishes to use fabric other than that which is provided or requires me to come with them to advise on sewing projects, or if the student lives outside of zone 4/5 of London.
EMPLOYMENT – FREELANCE
July 2016 – Present Alterations Assistant
Fielding & Nicholson Tailors
• Prepping bespoke suit garments ready for alterations
• Hemming, basting, reattaching sleeve and cuff linings.
• Hand sewing buttons, tapes, finishing edges.
• Organising alts schedule and carrying out multiple alterations under tight deadlines.
July 2016 – Present Teaching Assistant
Sew Pretty – Sewing school for home dressmakers and childrens sewing classes.
• Assisting during beginners learn to sew classes involving setting up machines, preparing fabric choices, advising on fabrics for skill level and purpose.
• Teaching the process of making a simple garment and demonstrating the finishings and techniques used.
• Working with home dressmaking patterns, teaching them how to alter the patterns for their body shape, and helping them develop an understanding of garment construction.
May 2016 – Present Teaching Assistant
Fashion Antidote – Sewing school for dressmakers, fashion students and industry.
• Drafting patterns for simple garments, creating lining and facing patterns, stack grading sizes.
• Assisting with learn to sew classes, advising students on sewing techniques and teaching them correct procedures, giving demonstrations on garment construction.
• Creating mood boards, researching inspirational themes for classes, sewing samples for website photography, and filing invoices.
Nov 2015 – Present Freelance Seamstress
Prim & Clover - Online Bridal company specialising in customisable, modern dresses.
• Cutting out patterns on silk, organza, satin, and wool.
• Making final sample garments, finishings, fusings, binding.
• Quality control and pressing.
• Advising on fit issues, fabric choices, and styling.
May 2016 – June 2016 Alterations Assistant
Sewn Right – Alterations company specialising in bridal and luxury trade accounts e.g.
Whistles, Luella’s Bridal, Sophia Webster – B2B and B2C (6 week Fixed)
• Prepping bridal and couture gowns, marking, pinning and unpicking.
• Covering bust cups, shortening hems, taking in side seams, sewing finished garments.
• Assisting in fittings for clients, and organising notes for each fit.
• Working with embellished pieces, using embroidery machines, felling machines, overlockers etc.
Feb 2016 – April 2016 Freelance Seamstress
Kingston University – Helping final year students produce graduate collections
• Drafting basic blocks from measurements, manipulating basic blocks, adding in details, zips, darts, panels, style lines etc.
• Using technical drawings to draft accurate flat patterns
• Teaching final year students pattern cutting language and techniques
• Toiling and correcting garments, tracing off source pieces
• Sewing final garments in leather, chiffon and velvet.
July 2015 – July 2016 Freelance Seamstress
Lingerouche – Online lingerie company specialising in exotic underwear.
• Making lingerie patterns in various sizes, tracing off toiles.
• Checking fit on mannequins.
• Sewing final garments, finishing seams, pressing, fusing, binding, working with satins, silks and cottons.
June 2015 - July 2015 Seamstress Intern
Ashley Isham – Womenswear brand specialising in couture, bridal and swimwear.
• Sewing first and second toiles, altering and cutting out patterns.
• Checking fit on mannequins.
• Steaming, pressing, finishing toiles to correct specifications.
• Mostly swimwear/jersey fabrics sewn as final garments, smocking and pleating experience.
July 2013 – May 2015 Contributing Editor
The Greatest Magazine - Italian Menswear Magazine based in Milan, Italy.
• Reported to Matteo Greco, Editor in Chief.
• Responsible for editing articles for editorials.
• Required ability to work individually and with initiative as company is based internationally.
EMPLOYMENT - CONTRACT
Aug 2015 – Nov 2015 Menswear Design Assistant
• Extensive CAD drawings, technical packs and specifications for designs, internals and accessories.
• Artwork/graphics for accessories and branding.
• Colour palettes, fabric research, theme research, mood boards, garment alteration.
• Supporting other design staff, production codes for matrixes, linebook cads, creating range plans.
• General admin duties – post, emailing suppliers and vendors, tidying the studio, photocopying/scanning, maintaining fabric and trim library.
• Supporting design staff, managing multiple projects at any one time.
• Pre-season research, online and around London, creating presentation boards, image sourcing and brand bible compilation.
• Comments to suppliers, alterations on samples.
• Main responsibilities in outerwear and accessories.
• Solid skills in Adobe Suite – Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign
fashion design lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest sewing lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, embroidery lessons for all!
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£18||£23||Not available|
|5 hours||£75||£100||Not available|
|10 hours||£140||£190||Not available|