Friendly and successful Psychology tuition available: AQA A-Level and GCSE (have taught other exam boards as well, including OCR, WJEC and Edexcel)
1-2-1 (first session free then £25 an hour)
Small groups to me (max 4 students, combined charge £40 an hour)
NOW OFFER ONLINE TUITION USING SKYPE AS THE PLATFORM
ONLINE AVAILABLE TO ANY GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION WITH INTERNET
(Online 1-2-1 first session free then £25 an hour)
Preparation for University courses (psychology)
School/College Re-sits, Adult Education and Home Schooling, also available
Availability: Evenings, weekends and daytime slots available (prefer you to me in CT1 but will travel within CT1 and CT2 area) also ONLINE available to any location
Willing to travel: Home Only
Experience: I currently teach psychology at Christ Church University and intensive residential A-Level Psychology revision courses with Justin Craig Education and Hillcrest
I am offering AQA-A-Level and GCSE (also other exam boards) I have over 20 years experience of private tuition, adult education, home schooling and fast-track.
I have an up to date DRB certificate and can supply references
DBS (CRB) Checed
Have been teaching and tutoring psychology for over twenty years. Over this time have helped hundreds of students attain their potential (students references are available).
I enjoy teaching and I am equally happy teaching any level from GCSE Psychology, A-Level psychology through to Degree Level preparation.
I also specialize in many areas, however, it appears a problem area for many students is: Research Methods, Mathematics relevant to psychology and Statistics
My aim is to help the student relax and gain confidence in their ability.
First hour lesson is free (mainly to arrange needs etc)
Discounts can be arranged for bulk purchases (10%)
Andy McCarthy CPsychol
DoB: 19 / 11 / 54
DfES number: Nat Ins number:
98/00199 YZ 17 22 73 A
(Current Fully Enhanced DBS valid issued 2016)
• H.E. Psychology Sessional Lecturer, School of Sociology, Politics and Psychology, Canterbury Christ Church University, Course Tutor, Introduction to Psychology: Mind and Behaviour, Single Honours Social Sciences (appointed 1999)
• Course Director, Justin Craig Education, residential and day revision centres (appointed 2014)
• ‘amac edu’ – Psychology: A-Level & GCSE Private Tuition, Adult Education, Home Schooling, Virtual Teaching, CPD Days & Residential and Day Revision Conferences. (Provision from Sept 2009)
• Tutor2U, Tutor Hunt, Fleet Tutors, TTW (The Tutor Website), Hillcrest and Justin Craig, A-Level Revision Courses (since 2012)
• Subject Leader, Psychology, Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School, Faversham (Contract May to Dec 2014)
• Head of Psychology, Acting joint Head of Sixth Form and Year 12 Tutor: The Chaucer School Canterbury, Kent (2013-2014).
• Head of Psychology, Kent College, Independent School, Canterbury Kent. (Sept 2003-2013)
• Psychology Lecturer, Partnership Development Office, University of Kent (2008-2012) Access to HE and A-Level Psychology: Brompton Academy, Gillingham (UKC Partnership Project)
• H.E. Lecturer Politics & Governance (level 2): SPSS & Political Research Module. Christ Church University, Canterbury (2009-2011).
• A’ Level Psychology Subject Tutor/Lecturer, Canterbury College (1999-2010)
• Teacher (Psychology), Simon Langton Girls' Grammar School, Canterbury Kent (1998-2008)
• H.E. Visiting Lecturer, Cognitive Psychology, University of Kent (2000).
• H.E. Lecturer & Course Convenor, Lecturer and Personal Tutor, Year 1: Intro to Psychology & Intro to Statistics and Research. Lecturer/Course Tutor Part Two: Biological Foundations and Fundamental Processes in Psychology. Christ Church University, Canterbury (Sept 1999 to Sept 2003).
• Member of AQA Panel of Examiners, AS & A2 Level Psychology (appointed April 2001).
• EFL Teacher, EAC Summer Schools at Kent College Canterbury and St Lawrence College Ramsgate (Summer 2008, 2009 & 2010), Drama/ Poetry/Classic Literature, Advanced Workshops & Teaching spoken English to Chinese, Russian, Japanese & European students.
• EFL Teacher, Southbourne School of English (Summer 2011), Drama/ Poetry/ Classic Literature, Advanced Workshops & Teaching spoken English to European students.
• 2006-2007, Masters Programme, Staffordshire University.
• 1995-1998, Full time undergraduate, University of Kent.
• 1993-1995, Part time undergraduate, Canterbury Christ Church University.
Higher Education Qualifications:
• PgC: Teaching Psychology (Staffordshire).
• BSc (Hons) Social Psychology, 2:1 (Upper Second Class with Honours, Kent).
• HE Diploma in Applied Social Sciences (Year one, passed with merit), Canterbury Christ Church University.
• HE Diploma in Religious Studies (Year one, passed with merit), Canterbury Christ Church University.
• Chartered Psychologist, The British Psychological Society (#83757)
• National Committee Member: The Association for the Teaching of Psychology (ATP)
• Associate Member: European Federation of Psychology Teachers’ Associations (EFPTA)
• Member of the International Council of Psychology Educators (ICOPE)
• Member: Royal Statistical Society (RSS)
• A guide to ethics in practical research activities for pre-tertiary psychology teachers and students. ATP (2015): Morag Williamson with contributions from: Dorothy Coombs, Deb Gajic, Helen Kitching & Andy McCarthy
• 'Teaching Psychology in the United Kingdom'. Handbook and Abstracts / Ed. Prof Victor Karandashev. – Saint-Petersburg, Russian Federation. 2002. – 134p.
• AQA GCSE Psychology, Module One, Units 1-5: ‘A Complete Teaching Resource’. McCarthy & Lech (2012). Hamilton House & Classroom Resources Ltd (ISBN: 978-1-84671-498-6)
• AQA GCSE Psychology, Module Two, Units 6-10: ’A Complete Teaching Resource’. McCarthy & Lech (2012). Hamilton House & Classroom Resources Ltd (ISBN: 978-1-84671-507-5)
• AQA GCE Research Methods for Psychology: ’A Complete Teaching Resource’. McCarthy A.P. (2013). Hamilton House & Classroom Resources Ltd (ISBN: 978-1-84671-552-5)
• 'Towards a new understanding of Schizophrenia: An aetiological discussion, a case for two distinct disorders and a suggested revision of the ‘Dopamine Hypothesis’. (July 2004), Journal for the Teaching of Psychology (ISSN: 0305-7607)
• AS re-sits: To do or not to do, that is the question? (February 2007), Journal for the Teaching of Psychology (ISSN: 0305-7607)
• What is validity and reliability? (October 2007), Journal for the Teaching of Psychology (ISSN: 0305-7607)
• 'Familiarised voice recognition: intra-modal repetition priming, and a cognitive model of voice recognition processing' (reviewed 2010, European Journal of Psychology).
• Pre-pubic Anorexia as an addiction: a discussion document (June 2010), ATP Today (ISSN: 0305-7607) and online.
• Is Local before Global a Universal Scene Perception? Cross-Cultural Differences in Visual Organization (reviewed 2010: European Journal of Psychology)
• McCarthy, A. & Lech, A. (June 2011). The Matrixication of Reality. ATP Today (ISSN: 0305-7607) and online.
• McCarthy, A. (Feb 2012). Situational Factors, Social Influence and Extremes of Human Behaviour. ATP Today (ISSN: 0305-7607) and online.
• McCarthy, A. (Oct 2012). Milgram Revisited: The Maryland McDonald’s Strip Hoax. ATP Today (ISSN: 0305-7607) and online.
• McCarthy, A. (2013). ‘The Rubber Hand Illusion Revisited: A New Challenge to Perception’ ATP Today (ISSN: 0305-7607) and online.
Recent Book Reviews:
• Psychoanalysis and Education ‘Minding the Gap’ Bainbridge and West (2012) in: ATP Today February 2013 (ISSN: 0305-7607) and online.
• Psychology A Level, Year 1 and AS (Fourth Edition). “The Teacher’s Companion”. Michael Griffin, Rosalind Geillis; Consultant Editor: Cara Flanagan.
Oxford University Press
ATP Today: January 2016 (ISSN: 0305-7607) and online.
• CPD facilitator: How to teach evaluation for an essay style answer in A-Level Psychology: Watford Grammar School & ATP Training Day: 7th March 2015
• AS & A2 Revision Conferences held 20th & 27th April 2013 at Kent College; attended by local schools (including: Canterbury, Dartford, Thanet, Faversham and Ashford).
• AS/A2 revision conferences, collaboration between Kent College Canterbury College & Simon Langton Girl's Grammar School Canterbury Kent (2006-2010).
• Guest Lecture: St Petersburg University Polytechnic, Russian Federation: “Psychology of Language” (April 2006)
• Guest Lectures at University of Kent: Part Two, Cognitive Neuroscience: Visual Processing (March 2003)
• Presentation at the HEFCE (Sponsor: European Social Fund) Summer Conferences, Canterbury Christ Church University, 'Body language and The Mating Game'. (July 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005).
• Guest Lectures at University of Kent: Part One Module, ‘The Neuropsychology of Visual Processing’ (January - March 2000).
• Presentation at ‘Aim Higher’ Conference July 2006 and July 2007 Canterbury Christ Church University “Infamous Studies in Psychology”. (National programme run by the Higher Education Funding Council for England [HEFCE] with support from the Department for Education and Skills It aims to widen participation in higher education)
• “Swale, Compact Family Day” (University of Kent) July 2009. Presentation on ‘Body Language’: Is it a science or just fun? (Aka. Have you scored on your first date?)
• Talk to University of Kent’s “Psychsoc”: ‘What it’s like to teach psychology’. Feb 2010
Recent Conferences Attended:
• International Baccalaureate (IBO), Psychology Seminar/Workshop, Berlin Germany, July 2010.
• Annual Conference for the Association for the Teaching of Psychology (ATP), University of Leicester (2001, 2007), University of Bangor (2002), University of Exeter (2003, 2009), University of Wales, Swansea (2005), Manchester (2006), Keele (2013), Loughborough (2014), Lancaster (2015)
• ICOPE 2, International Conference on Psychology Education: Curriculum and Teaching of Psychology. 15th - 19th June 2002. Saint Petersburg, Russian Federation.
Conferences, CPD etc (2014-2016)
• European Federation of Psychology Teachers’ Associations (EFPTA): Biannual International Spring Conference, Berlin 11-13th April 2014
• Key Note ‘Panelist’: The 6th International Conference on Psychology & Education (ICOPE6), Northern Arizona University (Flagstaff AZ), August 3-5, 2014.
• Hosting: A-Level Revision Conferences. The Chaucer School, Canterbury Kent. April/May 2014
• CPD, Workshop/Facilitator: Annual Conference, Association for the Teaching of Psychology (ATP), Loughborough University, July 2014 and Lancaster, July 2015.
• CPD, Workshop/Facilitator: ATP training day for psychology teachers. March 2015. Watford Grammar School for boys.
• Vancouver 5th International Conference on the Teaching of Psychology, Vancouver BC, Canada: 23rd to 25th July 2015 (Presentation on ‘Distance Learning Techniques’)
• Queen’s College Taunton: CPD Facilitator, Teaching Maths for Psychology Teachers, March 2016
• European Federation of Psychology Teachers’ Associations: Biannual International Spring Conference, Prague April, 2016
• Vice President Boughton-u-Blean Kent, Cricket Club
• Supporter & Associate Producer: “Right between your ears (2015)”. Psychology Docu-Movie by Anika (Kris & Shelia)
I have been teaching psychology for almost twenty years and in this time my enthusiasm has grown, along with a desire to share my acquired knowledge and understanding with others.
I often arrange for A-Level students to attend one of my lectures at Christ Church; which includes private visits to various departments (alas, cannot coerce all to study psychology), I provide help with UCAS applications, keep a close eye on the progress of their applications and offer free ‘after-care’ as my former students progress through their academic studies.
One of the most pleasing aspects of teaching, is to introduce a new subject to students and enable them to reach their potential (whether it be an A* or a C). I feel that most students have the potential / capability to achieve a good pass and it is really motivating to see them achieving a higher grade than predicted potential (value added); it is an earned reward for their hard work and determination.
My experience covers successful teaching of psychology at all levels (GCSE, GCE, IB, and Access to HE and Degree Level) in various establishments (School, FE College and University) and more recently through one-to-one and small group private tuition.
I have a wide range of publications which include: articles, book reviews, research papers and resource publications (see CV). I have hosted and presented at many conferences including some recently for local schools in the Canterbury area and various locations national and international and have been a past examiner with the AQA Examination board.
As well as lecturing in psychology, I offer private A-Level Psychology tuition with many companies (including Justin Craig Education) and run my own private tuition service (amac edu, Psychology Tuition); details of which can be found on my website.
I love teaching psychology and always look forward to new challenges.
Full References from current and recent employment can be supplied.
Andy has been my psychology tutor since my A-Levels and always prepared me for exams and explained various different topics to me. Ever since i gained a great understanding of the subject as he knows everything in this area! He was always super helpful and i would always recommend Andy!!!
psychology lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£25||Not available||£25|