My teaching method is giving students time to discover things before explaining things to them. I enjoy building rapport with students so I usually start the lesson with small talks, while raising their interest in the topic that I am going to teach. Skills class and language class are both important in learning a language so I deliver them alternatively.
I am a qualified English teacher (ESL) based in Edinburgh. I have earned my Bachelor of Arts degree in English Studies and General Linguistics at the University of Hong Kong. I have been teaching for more than 4 years both privately and in a classroom setting to children, teenagers and adults of different English levels.
A qualified CELTA teacher. An enthusiastic linguist, polyglot and lover of languages with a passion for the arts and language education.
• 2015-2019 The University of Hong Kong — Bachelor of Arts, Majoring in English Studies and General Linguistics
• 2009-2015 Wa Ying College, Hong Kong
• English Teacher, British Study Centres (Edinburgh) — 2019 August–present
o Teaching General English classes and IELTS exam preparation classes to adult learners of several English levels
• Student Research Assistant, Faculty of Education, The University of Hong Kong — 2019 May–present
o Transcribing Cantonese and English audio files
• Freelance Translator, LINCUS Translation, Hong Kong — 2018 May-present
o Translating various types of texts from Chinese to English and English to Chinese
• Associate English Teacher & Curriculum Designer, Future Leaders Academy, Hong Kong — 2018 January-2019 June
o Conducting English Programmes focusing on Phonics, Speaking, Grammar and Writing for learners aged 4-12; designing and implementing the curriculum for the Explorer Programme: a project-based learning course specialising in critical thinking, writing and presentation skills
• Teaching Assistant, British Council, Hong Kong — 2015 September-2019 June
o Responsible for bilingual teaching, classroom management, the guidance of primary and pre-primary learners and interpreting exchanges between our team of teachers and our learners’ parents
• Cantonese-Mandarin Interpreter/ Student Helper, Faculty of Education, The University of Hong Kong — 2019 May
o Mainly responsible for simultaneous CantonesePutonghua interpretation in the training programme for the principals from Mainland China in seminars and visits to various local schools; supporting the logistics of the programme and facilitating the communication between local schools, HKU and Mainland principals
• Student Intern, Black Box at HKU — 2018 December-2019 May
o Front of House team for Black Box productions; Developing original research, creative design and technology-based vision and branding for a major international journal relaunched ahead, anchored at the HKU Black Box and HKU Guild
• English Tutor, Ka Fook Pentecostal Holiness Church — 2015 September-2019 May
o Providing after-school English education to secondary students in classes of up to twenty students
• Smoking Cessation Counsellor, School of Nursing, The University of Hong Kong — 2017 June-August
o Collecting data for research purpose and persuading people to quit smoking
• 2019 Reaching Out Award
• 2018 Faculty of Arts Student Mobility Fund
• 2017 Evergreen Scholarships for Student Enrichment
• 2014 Rev. Wong Tsok Memorial Scholarship
• 2009 Champion in Dramatic Duologue in Hong Kong Schools Speech Festival (English)
Competence & Interests
• Native languages: Cantonese Chinese and Mandarin Chinese
• English Ability: IELTS Test Overall Band 7.5
• Mandarin Chinese Ability: Putonghua Proficiency Test Level 2 Grade A
• Computer Skills: MS Words, Excel, PowerPoint
• Personal Interests: voluntary work, reading, singing, athletics, travelling, acting
Although she taught me in tgree weeks, i have learnt a lot from her. She encourges me to use new vocabllories as well as remindes me not to speack Arabic. I was lucky to have her as my teacher.
Chloe is a really friendly and enthusiastic tutor and she's helped me improve my English a lot! I feel motivated and encouraged in her class so I enjoy learning with her very much! I can now speak more fluently and confidently thanks to Chloe's help :D
esol (english) lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, vocabulary - english lessons for all!
Taking written comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£20||£17|
|5 hours||Not available||£98||£85|
|10 hours||Not available||£190||£170|