First, I believe lessons should be friendly and fun. If you're not enjoying getting better at English, I'm not doing my job properly! At the start, we'll identify your goals and areas for development. I will then create an individual learning plan with SMART targets to help you improve. Depending on your learning goals, I use videos and newspaper articles for reading and comprehension, along with a lot of conversation. We can also cover grammar, listening skills, and writing. I always set homework, but if you lack time I understand!
If you need help for a job interview, please consider my Masterclass, which is aimed at helping you succeed in the recruitment process.
I've been a teacher since 2004. After my BA (Hons) and MA, I gained my PGCE (official British teacher training qualification) while working in the UK college system, before moving to Hungary. I currently teach private students as well as those from multinationals banks through an agency. I have many happy and successful learners who have gone on to pass IELTS, get better jobs and emigrate to English-speaking countries.
Cancellation policy: a student may cancel the class with 24 hours' notice without incurring financial loss. If a student cancels on he day of the lesson, I will unfortunately have to charge the whole lesson fee for that class, as I'm unable to fill the slot at short notice.
Please note: the first lesson is 20 minutes long and is free.
Christopher Long BA (Hons), MA, PGCE
• A highly experienced native British English language teacher.
• Over 16 years of teaching experience in State education and private language tuition
• Excellent track record for student exam success, emigration, career development and general Business English development.
WORK EXPERIENCE – References available upon request –
English Language Tutor Budapest, Hungary 2013-2020
• One-to-one private ESOL tutor, working with a range of different learners, from schoolchildren to university students, lawyers, doctors and project managers, in person and via the Internet. Have taught students from Europe and Asia.
• Cambridge exam preparation assistance
• Job promotion assistance
• English development for emigration
• CV/Resume development
• Proof reading
• Results: Students have passed exams, secured promotions and successfully moved abroad due to improved English skills. Many long-term, satisfied students.
Subject Lecturer Reading College of Further Education, UK 2011-2012
• Responsible for delivering courses in a large, urban British college
• Involved in course planning, grading work and feedback
• Strong use of IT and ICT in delivering lessons to learners
• Results: 100% pass rate for all students on courses.
Senior Lecturer, Media Guildford College of Further and Higher Education, UK 2004-2010
• Responsible for the design, planning and implementation of a range of FE and HE courses up to BA (Hons) level.
• Program Manager for National Certificate course with management responsibilities for a team of 4 teachers
• Awarded a Grade 1 (Excellent OFSTED) mark for teaching excellence
• Personal Tutor to 20 students
• Results: Successfully brought the Department through a Government Inspection when the College was failing. Excellent exam results for students, many of whom are now working in the media industry.
Teacher Langleywood School/ East Berkshire College, UK 2001-2003
• Dyslexia tutor at a large FE College
• Exclusions Manager, working with students excluded from normal classes due to behavioural issues
• Results: Provided learning support to student who would otherwise have failed their courses to due English language problems.
Post Graduate Certificate in Education Greenwich University 2007-2010
Government approved official teacher training program to gain Qualified Teacher Status in the UK.
City and Guilds 7407 Stage 1 2004
Basic level teacher training course, recognised by the UK Department of Education.
MA, Video Production Bournemouth University, UK 1996
BA (Hons) 2:1 Humanities University of Glamorgan 1991-1994
Arts subjects degree, majoring in English Language
TOOLS & SKILLS
Office software : Word, Excel, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, PowerPoint, Keynotes, Libre Office, Zoom, Skype, Hangouts, Google Drive, Dropbox.
Operating systems: Windows, Apple OSX
Excellent people skills, business experience
• English: Native
• Hungarian: Elementary
Excellent! Nice and very kind coach!
I'm sure I will progress a lot with him :)!
Nazanin's pronunciation is clear. She expresses her opinions intelligently and is eager to further develop her spoken English. I commend her on her positive attitude and hard work!
Perfect! I really enjoy my lessons with Chris. He's very attentive to my goals and has lots of resources to make the lessons varied and interesting.
This was an introductory lesson to ascertain Lasha's learning needs. He speaks clearly and intelligently, and uses grammar well. Our conversation flowed well, with few hesitations.
Perfect! Christopher is a friendly and enthusiastic person who teaches all ages and levels. He has great skill, and is quickly able to grasp the focus of the students' needs. He is an inspirational, well-prepared person who has a sensitive teacher heart and the ability to adjust the student to the right path. He is eager to fine tune grammar and listening skills, too.
His portfolio is not just a list. He has a rich, elaborated and well maintained knowledge!
I'm a tutor too - I know!
I would highly recommend him!
Petros is enthusiastic about English and is keen to develop his already good skills. We're going to be working on grammar, formal speech and writing. I'm looking forward to working with him, and I believe he will develop his use of the language over the coming months.
Chris is a great teacher, I was looking for a native English teacher to practice speaking and he was the perfect choice! He found great topics for our classes and was really fun to talk with him about different topics. He is a professional and I would recommend him to anyone who would like to improve their English.
Chris is the best teacher for English language that I can imagine. He can motivate and spot your weak points and make you work on them in a very polite and nice way. He can explain clearly and is extremely patient. He selects the topics for each lesson deliberately. He never gives up on his student.
Christopher is a well trained teacher. I've been his student in a last 2 years. His lessons are friendly and personalized. He is really good for those students whom want to be more professional in writting and pronountiation.
Thanks to Chris' English classes, I improved my English and I was able to deal with several job interwiews. I highly recommend Chris, his classes were creative and never boring.
Choose him with your eyes closed, you will not regret!!!
Christopher is really skilled and patient. He was a big help when I prepared for my job interview.
Chris has been teaching me and my 10-year-old son. We both enjoy his lesson and we improve our English skills a lot! Thanks for his passion and talent in teaching English, we would love to recommend Chris in teaching English for different level students
Chris has all what it takes to be a good teacher. Passion, kindness, and most importantly, an all-around professional knowledge of English language. I always enjoyed the time we spent together. Highly recommended for everyone!
esol (english) lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest vocabulary - english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, business english lessons for all!
Taking IELTS lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||£20|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||£100|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||£200|