I aproach each topics by delivering the key facts/main points first and then build up on each topic with challenging questions which will require the application of the knowledge learned so that the students fully understand the topic. Additionally, I like to start with the basics and build up the difficulty level to push a students ability.
I am a recent chemistry graduate, I have just completed my integrated masters at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh and I have obtained a First class honours. I am new to tutoring however I have extensive experience in dealing with maths and chemistry problems and have a good foundaion of knowledge in both subjects.
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh (2013-05/2018)
MChem in Chemistry
My degree offers a blend of theoretical and applied chemistry and covers a broad range of inorganic, organic and physical chemistry. Whilst studying at Heriot-Watt I have learned a lot of important aspects of chemical theory and I have also studied analytical and materials chemistry and maths as elective courses. I consistently achieve high grades with an average of over 70%, therefore I have achieved a 1st class degree. During my degree I have gained knowledge in a wide variety of chemical theory, gained experience in analysing data and participated in laboratory based projects.
• I have studied courses in inorganic, organic and physical chemistry throughout each year of my degree involving courses ranging from statistical thermodynamics to sustainable chemistry.
• My degree has significantly improved my analytical and problem-solving skills by regularly applying my knowledge to solve problems. An example of when I have used these skills is when I have had to solve an unknown compound from spectroscopic methods or my knowledge of reactions.
• I recently worked as a part of research group whilst completing my MChem research project in physical chemistry, I chose this research area as I particularly enjoy analysing data in order to figure out trends.
• My project involved using a laser system to measure the fluorescence and absorption of acetone, each experiment results in the production of over 150000 data points which require analysis using MATLAB in order to analyse the results.
• Additionally, I participated in a group project, working with three others, in my previous academic year designing the synthesis of target compounds by researching published scientific papers and using chemical knowledge.
• Once the experimental part was complete, we shared our results between all members of the team, I analysed the data and produced an individual written report.
• Additionally, we presented our findings and opinions on the project as a group to colleagues on our course.
• Analysing data is a key aspect of my degree and is required during both practical and theoretical aspects, from analysing output from machines in the laboratory to solving provided data for assignments.
• Last semester for one of my courses, advanced instrumentation techniques, I had to deduce the geometry of a molecule from various spectra of the compound. This involved careful interpretation of the data and linking information I found from each spectra in order to solve the geometry successfully.
Queen Alexandra 6th Form College, North Shields (2011-2013)
• Three A-levels achieved: Chemistry (C), Business (B) and Maths (B).
Burnside Business and Enterprise College, Wallsend (2006-2011)
• 11 GCSEs achieved, including the following: Science (A), Additional Science (A*), Math's (A) and English (B).
• I have achieved my bronze and silver Duke of Edinburgh Award, I really enjoyed this experience as I got a chance to really develop my team work and communication skills.
Barista-Costa, Edinburgh/Newcastle (6/2017-3/2018)
• Working at Costa I have learned how to make drinks at brand standard quality, always listening to individual’s requests to tailor drinks to customers individual needs.
• Team work and communication is a vital part of working as a Barista to ensure the customer receives the correct order and waste is kept to a minimum.
• I also always work with healthy and safety in mind in order to ensure colleagues, customers and myself do not acquire avoidable injuries such as burns.
Sales Assistant- Primark Stores Ltd, Edinburgh/Metro Centre (11/2011-10/2016)
• I joined Primark as an employee in 2011 at their Metro Centre store and transferred to their Princes Street store in 2013 before commencing my degree.
• Through working in one of the UK’s largest retail stores I have gained experience in building relationships with my colleague’s and customers and am able to work as part of a team in order to ensure that all tasks are completed and the customer’s needs are met.
Sales Assistant- Sports Direct, Eldon Square Newcastle (07/2011-11/ 2011)
• My main hobby is hiking, throughout the recent summer I went on many camping trips, climbed Ben Nevis, hiked around Loch Lomond and the Pentland Hills. I love the challenge of being able to navigate and complete hikes and feel a sense of accomplishment when I have completed a route.
• I have a keen interest in dancing, I attended to Tyne Theatre Stage School for 8 years where I participated in many shows and competitions performing in front of large audiences. As a consequence of this I have built up my confidence which now allows me to present in front of people and contribute in group discussions.
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking chemistry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£40||Not available|
|5 hours||Not available||£180||Not available|
|10 hours||Not available||£340||Not available|