My teaching method is tailored to you and is highly collaborative. I get to know you as a person - your passions, interests, learning methods - and design classes WITH you to make sure that they are the most productive and useful. I structure my classes clearly so they are easy to follow and efficient. I am a highly energetic and passionate person - I used to be a Debate mentor for both primary and secondary school kids - so will ensure that you stay awake in my lessons!
Hi! My name is Tania and I have been a tutor for the past five years, teaching English, History, Sociology and other humanities at GCSE & A-level grade. I have taught over 10 different students and all have received A*-B grades in GCSE/A-level. On average, most students have improved at least two grades above their original starting point due to my teaching.
Beyond tutoring, I currently work as a human rights policy officer. Before this, I finished my Masters in Global Thought from Columbia University in the City of New York in May 2020. Prior to that, I completed a graduate internship at the Foreign Office, working in European politics and Brexit. I graduated with a BA in International History from the London School of Economics in 2018.
As a result of my career and educational background, I am happy to provide advice on how to write an outstanding personal statement for university as well as effective interview techniques and job application tips.
My rates are based on students studying for A-level. I am happy to offer GCSE Students £20 an hour for in person and £15.00 an hour online.
Education and qualifications
MA Global Thought at Columbia University in the City of New York (2019 - 2020)
• Classes taken include: Global Economic Governance, Culture and Identity, Gender and Development in South East Asia, Race and the Articulation of Difference, Crowdsourced Storytelling for Policy Makers.
• Worked as a rapporteur for ‘Culture, Power and Boundaries’ University Seminar.
BA International History at the London School of Economics and Political Science (2015 - 2018)
• Grade achieved: Upper 2:1; completed modules ranging from Islamic Empires, Anglo-American Special Relationship to the political history of East Asia.
• Founded and ran the LSESU British People of Colour society which won ‘Campaign of the Year’ at LSE in 2018. Projects included a photo exhibition highlighting migrant journeys of LSE students and a panel discussion with ‘The Good Immigrant’ author Nikesh Shukla.
City and Islington Sixh Form College, Islington (2013 - 2015)
• A-levels: Four A*s, One A – AS Sociology (A), History (A*), English Literature (A*), Economics (A*) EPQ (A*)
Europe Cross-Cutting Projects Officer , Foreign and Commonwealth Office (September 2018 – August 2019)
• Reverse mentored senior colleagues and heads of departments on diversity issues in the corporate workspace.
• Led and project managed the UK-Spain Joint Diplomats Training Programme which focussed on digital diplomacy and using social media such as Twitter to promote the ‘Great Britain’ brand.
• Wrote daily ministerial briefings on evolving issues such as Brexit and worked to advance UK bilateral relations with Slovenia, Croatia, Bulgaria and Romania through various projects and diplomatic initiatives.
Projects Officer, Foreign and Commonwealth Office (July – August 2018)
•Managed a recruitment process evaluation project as part of the Strategy and Network Consular Directorate team.
•Led the overhaul of the online e-learning module for the Forced Marriage Unit which is used by entire UK police force.
•Raised £250 collectively in a team of interns for charity Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM).
Marketing Work Experience at Rothschild Private Wealth, London (August 2017)
•Advised HR on how to improve inclusivity at Rothschild through an intersectional understanding of diversity.
•Led on the research which determined the specifications for the Rothschild Bursary Scheme which benefits disadvantaged students in east London.
Sales Assistant, Lush UK, Oxford Street (October 2016 – January 2017)
• Conducted consultations in flagship store to assist range of customers in making the right purchase.
• Encouraged add on sales through tailored pitches and provided animated demonstrations of products.
• Replenished stock to help maximise sales and efficiency.
Internal Audit Intern, Tokio Marine Kiln (August 2016)
(Leading international provider of specialist and corporate insurance)
• Led on the fieldwork process of an internal audit project and developed relevant project management skills.
• Completed sampling and testing of different controls for the audit.
• Led meetings with various teams and assisted with report writing for audit project.
Debate Mentor, DebateMate (October 2015 – July 2016)
• Taught primary and secondary school classes the basics of debate and how to formulate arguments.
• Created engaging lesson plans tailored to the needs of different groups and abilities.
• Facilitated the building of confidence and public speaking skills of underprivileged children.
Central Processing Operations Intern, Tokio Marine Kiln (June – September 2015)
• Worked in a team of 20 for the “Mobilising for Growth” project and conducted data cleansing tasks.
• Utilised specialist software such as ‘Genius’ to process large corporate insurance policies.
• Liaised with underwriters and other teams in the company to ensure high data quality and efficiency.
• Debating – Competed in debates both nationally and internationally, coming third in the Slovenia World’s Schools’ Tournament 2013 with an international team.
• Volunteering – Fundraised £800 for LSE charity week by climbing Scaffel Pike and bungee jumping.
IT Skills: Proficient use of Microsoft Office including PowerPoint, Word, Outlook and Excel.
Languages: Fluent in English and Bengali. Intermediate Spanish.
Communications: Public speaker and debater; high level writing and policy skills.
history lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest sociology lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, current affairs lessons for all!
Taking politics lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|