I have recently graduated with an MA from Leiden University, the Netherlands. I have a 2:1 BA English from the University of Exeter and achieved A Levels A*A*AA in English, Extended Project, History and French. I tutor History in South Cumbria, but willing to travel to Lancaster also. I have experience as a tutor and as a mentor, and am keen to teach History to years 7-11.
I gave informal French lessons for 6 months in sixth form. At university, I worked for almost 2 years as a tutor of critical theory to first year students. I have also served for a year as a pastoral mentor, for which there are many transferable skills with tutoring.
I am a postgraduate student with a 2:1 BA Hons in English from the University of Exeter, and have studied at Vassar College, NY, USA. I am currently studying for a Masters in North American Studies at Leiden University, The Netherlands. I have work experience that is focused on writing, editing and photography, and possess excellent analytical, organisational and communication skills.
2016-2017, Leiden University, Masters in North American Studies (to be completed in August 2017)
Courses: The American People and Their Constitution, 1776-1896 (8.2), American Radicalism: Challenging and Empowering U.S. Democracy (8), Major Issues in American History (8), The Rooseveltian Century: The Rise of the U.S. as a Global Power in the Twentieth Century, Thesis
(‘Rebels, Conservatives, and the Salem Witchcraft Crisis: Exploiting the Fragile Communities of Colonial Massachusetts’).
2013-2016, University of Exeter, 2:1 BA Hons in English (average 68.6)
1st year courses: Introduction to Creative Writing, Approaches to Criticism, Film Studies: An Introduction, Beginnings: English Literature Before 1800, The Poem, Academic English.
2nd year courses at Vassar College, New York: Early America, Native American Women, The Founding of English Literature, American Literature: Origins to 1865.
At the University of Exeter: Romanticism, Crossing the Water: Transatlantic Literary Relations.
3rd year courses: Hardy and the Women Who Did: The Coming of Modernity, ‘Reader, I Married Him’: The Evolution of Romance Fiction from 1740 to the Present, Citizens of the World, Dissertation (‘Daughters of Eve: How do madness and the supernatural function as vehicles to express and expose desires and anxieties around the deviant woman in nineteenth-century Gothic fiction?’).
2011-2013, Barrow Sixth Form College
AS Level Geography (A), A Level Extended Project (‘To what extent did the French Revolution (1789-1799) affect culture and society in England 1789-1850, and how far were the reforms of this period caused by the revolution?’) (A*), A Level English Literature (A*), A Level French (A), A Level History (A).
2006-2011, John Ruskin School
GCSEs: 5 A* grades and 6 A grades. Additionally, Distinctions in the OCR Level 2 ICT Awards of Creating Computer Graphics and ICT Skills for Business.
Employment and Volunteering Experience
● March 2017-Ongoing. Editor (part-time) for the blog of We Make Change, a London charity designed to match NGOs with proactive citizens.
● June-August 2016. Staff member (waitress/kitchen) at the Bluebird Café, Coniston, Cumbria.
● September 2015-May 2016. Residence Life Mentor. I worked for the University of Exeter as a pastoral mentor in university residences.
● March 2015-April 2016. Human Rights Update Editor, and committee member, with the University of Exeter Amnesty International Society. Role involved writing and editing the
society's blog and bi-annually editing and publishing the Human Rights Update magazine, for which I also wrote articles in 2013 and 2014.
● January 2015-May 2016. Volunteered for the University of Exeter’s PASS Mentor scheme, where second and third year students provide weekly academic meetings and support for first year students studying critical theory.
● 2012. Taught French to a GCSE student.
● June 2011. Volunteer for Madventurer, building sanitation facilities for a tribal village in Thailand.
● May 2010. Work experience in an interior design company (LMB Design). I was commissioned to redesign the exterior of a local school, a design that was successfully implemented, and to produce marketing photographs.
Additional Skills and Achievements
● Sept. 2015-May 2016. University of Exeter Evening Language Programme in Advanced French.
● 2014. Member of the photography staff at Vassar College’s newspaper, the Miscellany News, and had photography published in the University of Exeter magazine, Razz.
● 2014. I successfully auditioned for Vassar College’s Women’s Chorus, and was a member of two chamber choirs, Mahagonny and Camerata.
● September 2013-May 2016. Member of the University of Exeter Amnesty International
Society, Photography Society, Archery Club, Diplomatic Hub, DanceSport, Fencing Club, World Music Choir, Climbing Society, Dance Society and Gender Equality Society.
● 2013-2015. Member of Exeter Choral Society, performed with them in Exeter Cathedral.
● 2013. I auditioned and was accepted onto the University of Exeter Music Learning
Programme, for scholarship classes in singing.
● September 2013. University of Exeter Excellence Scholarship.
● June 2012. I was awarded a Barrow Sixth Form College Enrichment Certificate for physical activity, skill development and community work.
● June 2011. John Ruskin School: Butterworth Prize for Best Overall Performance at GCSE, and the Darbishire Senior English Literature Prize.
● December 2011. ABRSM Grade 5 Singing.
● May 2010-May 2011. Prefect and Reading Partner for younger children with reading
difficulties in John Ruskin School.
● 2007-2011. Took part in several school mountaineering and orienteering expeditions.
history lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£26||£8|
|5 hours||Not available||£125||£40|
|10 hours||Not available||£245||£80|