I've been teaching and tutoring sciences for over 20 years, from general science Key stage 2 to 4 and specialising in Chemistry post 16 and also proofreading academic papers.
I also assist students with academic study skills and exam and school entry coaching and to date have helped over 150 students achieve their learning goals.
My teaching style is based on working with the student to find out what their weak points or areas for improvement are and working together to find a fun, engaging and memorable way to overcome that problem area.
I've taught overseas students science by Skype lessons, and given lessons in a range of unusual places from museums to farms, complete with animals disrupting the lessons!
My teaching style is based on patience, flexibility, and, sometimes, approaching a topic from a different way to the textbook, yet not loosing sight of the goal.
Proof reading and correction £20 per hour.
Key Stage 2 £10 per hour.
MA Education & Society 2020 - present
University Of Chester
Post Graduate Diploma TESOL 2008 – 2009
University Of Leeds United Kingdom. Pass With Merit
BSc. Qualified Teacher Stratus (QTS) Secondary Science Teaching (Chemistry Specialism) With Education 1996-1999
Sheffield Hallam University 2:2 with Honours.
Professional Work Experience
Science Teaching 1999 - Present
• Teaching Secondary School Science and Chemistry programmes including A-Level and GCSE ; International Baccalaureate ; and International GCSE and A level ;
• Specialising in Chemistry for upper school and A level equivalent aged students.
• Coaching students for university interviews and university entrance exams.
• Writing and administering mock tests, entry tests and rubrics.
• Coaching students in experimental techniques and writing experiment papers
• Working within health and safety guidelines.
• Advising and training new teachers on experimental procedures.
• Assisting students with their exploration and choices for domestic and/or international universities and colleges.
• Counselling high school students with college related questions and advice.
• Assisting high school students with college applications. That includes helping them prepare personal essay topics and filling out applications questions.
• Offering additional support outside of office hours for any student in need of support.
• Facilitating a classroom atmosphere that allows for peer assisted learning.
• Home schooling 2 returnee students in IGCSE science short term stay.
• Preparing on line materials for engaging lessons via Skype, including quiz and testing materials.
• Keeping clear records of attendance, work completed and class and homework grades in line with current examination and coursework grading systems.
• Supervising and guiding students in Special Project Research and Presentations.
• Providing extra support to students who are non-native English speakers.
• Proofreader to post graduate science and engineering students prior to publishing academic papers.
• Editor of scientific, environmental and pharmaceutical journal articles from academics and doctorate students prior to publication.
• Working to strict deadlines, word counts and editorial requirements.
Member of STEAM and WISE, work with both agencies promoting science at public events and in a variety of locations to both students, schools and members of the public.
Participate in a range of Citizen Science projects within the local area and nationally.
These interests,have both helped me to develop simple experiments and procedures that can be used in science tutoring without a school laboratory.
physics lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest chemistry lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, organic chemistry lessons for all!
Taking natural sciences lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£15||£15|
|5 hours||Not available||£70||£75|
|10 hours||Not available||£130||£150|