Voice - Classical training suitable for male and female voices.
Cello - All standards from intermediate (approx. grade 5 and up)
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I teach classical singing and cello from intermediate to professional level.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
Royal College of Music (cello) 2000-2004. Bachelors degree
Royal College of Music (voice) 2000-2006. Postgraduate Diploma
Hanns Eisler Hochschule fÃ¼r Musik, Berlin (voice) 2006-2007, DAAD scholarship
Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy HochschÃ¼le fÃ¼r Musik und Theater, Leipzig (voice) 2007-2009, Diplom
International Opera Studio of the ZÃ¼rich Opera House (2009-2011)
- How much do you charge?
40 per hour
- Where do you teach?
I have TWO teaching studios. One in Kensal Rise (NW10 3AP), one in East Croydon (CR0 6JG)
- When are you available?
We can arrange week to week. As I have a busy performance schedule, I cannot guarantee the same time every week
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
I teach singing to people aged between 16-80. (My oldest pupil was 90) I prefer to start from an intermediate level to professional. However I can also help people who wish to learn to sing for theraputic reasons, or those who need to use their speaking voice often and are having problems.
Cello, I can teach from intermediate to Professional and help with grades etc.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
I can prepare students for Music College entry, I can help during music college, I can help students who wish to apply for choral scholarships to University, I can help students prepare for grade exams between 6-8.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
I can teach you through the use of skype or facetime. I have students in New York and in Australia.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
can quickly pinpoint key issues in vocal technique and work in a positive and constructive way to support the student in their journey to solving them. Ultimately it is the student who is the teacher, and I always teach with a view to let the student become independent learners, and grow within themselves the tools they need to improve and succeed.
- What kind of experience do you have?
I come from a family of professional musicians dating back over four generations. I have a busy private teaching practise at my home very close to East Croydon Mainline station (15 mins from Central London) CR06JG. I also teach masterclasses at Morley College, Aldeburgh Young Musicians, Benslow Music Trust, and I am the vocal coach for The Big Singing Lesson based in Hertfordshire.
I have broadcast on BBC Television and Radio, Arte, Bayerische Rundfunk/Fernsehen, Mittel Deutsche and Nord Deutsche Rundfunk, Schweizer Rundfunk DRS2.
I have a busy performing schedule and have been engaged as soloist in the Netherlands Reis Opera, Zurich Opera House, Bury Court Opera, Oper Leipzig, for the Bayerische Rundfunk and in Anhaltisches Theater Dessau and Ludwigsburger Schloss Festspiele. I have sung as a guest soloist at the Landes Theater Gera-Altenburg, Stadttheater FÃ¼rth and Theater Magdeburg in Germany.
I speak fluent English, German, French and Italian and can coach repertoire proficiently in these languages. I have working knowledge of sung Russian, Czech, Hebrew and Polish although I do not speak these languages.
On the concert platform, I am in great demand as Oratorio Soloist and have performed works by Bach, Brahms, Handel, Mendelssohn, Mozart, Saint-Saens, Britten, Janacek and Orff in Hamburg (Musikhalle), London: Wigmore Hall, Kings Place, Purcell Room, Cadogan Hall, Douai Abbey, Bridgewater Hall Manchester, Berlin: Konzerthaus, Otto Braun Saal of the Philharmonie, FranzÃ¶sischer Dom, Leipzig: Thomaskirche, Opernhaus, Bremen Pier 2 Arena, with orchestras including the English Chamber Orchestra, Zurich Chamber Orchestra, Zurich Konzert Chor, Frankfurter Sinfoniker, Reading Bach Choir, Imperial College Symphony Orchestra. Wallfisch will be singing at the Lichfield Festival and the Allwyn Festival and for the Melbourne Lieder Society in 2014.
As recitalist, I was a featured artist at the Oxford Lieder Festival, London Song Festival, Purcell Room Southbank, St Georges Brandon Hill Bristol, and in 2010 performed Schubert's "Die Winterreise" with Graham Johnson. I am in demand as recitalist and concert artist in Germany, Holland, Australia, Spain, France and Switzerland.
Simon Wallfisch's debut CD recording of Geoffrey Bush Songs (Edward Rushton, piano) with Lyrita Records will be released in September 2014.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
Yes, through other teaching institutions such as Aldeburgh Young Musicians.
- Where and with whom did you train?
Royal College of Music 2000-2006
Hochschule fÃ¼r Musik Hanns Eisler Berlin 2006-2007
Hochschule fÃ¼r Musik und Theater Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy Leipzig 2007-2009
International Opera Studio ZÃ¼rich 2009-2011
- Tell me about some of your current students.
Here is some feedback from students who attended 'The Big Singing Lesson' a day workshop I give:
1. Thoroughly enjoyable lesson today! (Worryingly, there's more to this singing lark than I thought!) Haha! Seriously, thank you so much.
2. Thank you so much for today Simon. An amazing experience learning a tiny piece of what it takes to really sing. I can't thank you enough and want my name on the list for any and all future lessons!
3. Amazing day ! Thanks Simon , I had a great day and found out that I can sing soprano notes in tune! Loved all the songs as well
4. Thank you Simon for a wonderful day of singing. I can't wait for the next installment xx
well done you, I loved today ....
5. I can quite honestly say today has been a day I can rank as one of the best days of my life and am finding it difficult to put into words, I have met and been coached by an exceptionally talented Opera singer and voice coach and sang with an exceptional group of people who are not professional singers but sound like a world class choir, thank you so much Simon and Tom for a truly wonderful day
6. Thank you so much Simon for today. What a wonderful experience. Totally out of my comfort zone today in the soprano section and managed those high notes some how. Look forward to the next Big Sing
• Bmus(hons), PGDip, Diplom
• Visiting tutor at: Aldeburgh Young Musicians, Morley College, Benslow Music Trust,
• up to date CRB
cello lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|