My teaching method is really catered to the student I am teaching. Each student has a different level of confidence when it comes to their ideas and their level of understanding and I am to meet them where they're in.
When working with a new student, I like to take a look at the curriculum their school/college is following, and tackle each subject in order. I like to gauge the student's understanding of the topic before I start to teach. After each topic, I like to assess the student's understanding again by asking them to complete a small assignment before moving on.
I am patient and understanding but firm in my delivery and my behaviour management.
I did an A level in Sociology, have a degree in Sociology and will be starting a related masters course in September.
I have tutored secondary school students before and have worked at a primary school as a Teaching Assistant, tutoring small groups as well as helping students on a 1:1 basis.
I am a recent graduate with a First Class degree in Sociology. I am an enthusiastic individual looking to explore my passion for education and the welfare of children and young people. As someone with exceptional verbal and written communication skills, a keen interest in the education and wellbeing of young people and children, I know that I will be well suited for this role. I have experience with taking care of and working with children of different age groups- I have worked in a childcare centre, tutored a year 8 student and worked as a teaching assistant in a primary school.
Oct 2015 – June 2018 First Class Degree
University of Northampton
Sept 2010 – June 2012 A Levels: CCB
Wyggeston and Queen Elizabeth I College
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
October 2018–July 2019 St Eugene De Mazenod Catholic Primary School, Teaching Assistant, London
I worked as a teaching assistant at this lovely primary school for almost a full academic year. I thoroughly enjoyed my time working there and learned a lot about how education functions in a school, behaviour management and safeguarding there. Here are some of the things I did as a teaching assistant at the school:
• Working with smaller groups of children on maths
• Assisting individual and groups of children with reading
• Supervising a class of 30 children when the teacher was on her PPA time
• Being on playground duty
• Marking class and homework
• Trimming and sticking worksheets
• Supervising after school clubs.
June 2018 – August 2018 Private Tutor, London
I spent a lot of time this summer tutoring my cousin who is a year 8 student with learning difficulties. Since she was struggling with keeping up with her studies during the school year, I volunteered to work through some of the problems she was having with her school work so that she could start her next school year with a little more confidence in her capabilities. Here are some of the things I did while tutoring her:
• Going over the key concepts she was struggling with in her core subjects
• Helping to boost the student’s confidence in studying
• Creating small tests once we covered a topic to track her progress
• Monitoring the student’s performance and providing her with feedback.
Jan 2015 – Oct 2015 Rahma Childcare, Childcare Assistant, Leicester
Rahma Childcare is a childcare centre in the heart of Leicester where I was a childcare assistant for 10 months, working with children from ages 0-4. While this job was extremely enjoyable and fulfilling, I left it to study at university and it was where I first fell in love with working with children. Here are some of the responsibilities I had while working at Rahma Childcare:
• Making sure that the children I looked after felt secure and were safe, well fed and well looked after
• Serving meals to the children and making up bottles for the babies
• Reading with the children, supervising play and assisting them in learning
• Assisting in teaching the children to count, learn the alphabet and colours.
• Providing the children with a range of play activities, both indoors and outside, to help the children develop
• Taking children on outings for example to the park and to the local shop to buy fruit.
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
Jan 2018 – May 2018 Top Shop, Retail Assistant, Northampton
Nov 2016– Feb 2017 Mothercare, Retail Assistant, Northampton
• Ability to build an instant rapport with children
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills
• Outstanding numeracy and literacy skills
• Exceptional team working skills
• Enthusiasm towards working with children
• Ability to manage young children
• Understanding and adhering to confidentiality agreements
• Flexible approach to work
• Multilingual- I speak Somali and English fluently and can speak and understand basic Dutch.
• I am an avid reader of both fiction and non-fiction texts. This includes academic articles and books, autobiographical books and contemporary fiction
• I enjoy travelling with friends and immersing myself in cultures other than my own- I have been to New York, Rome, Berlin and a Town called Jena in Germany Recently
• I have a passion for languages and am currently teaching myself Korean.
References available upon request
general knowledge lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest sociology lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, politics lessons for all!
Taking international relationships lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|