I am a friendly and relaxed teacher with a drive to pass on my enthusiasm for the subjects I teach. My aim is for you to enjoy what you learn at the same time as realising your full potential. I look forward to hearing from you!
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I teach Music - both history and theory - at all levels, as well as offering practical tuition in cello, piano and chamber music. I am also happy to work with university applicants on submission materials and interview technique.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- In 2012 I received my master's degree in Cello Performance and Literature from the Eastman School of Music of the University of Rochester, New York, having studied with renowned performer and teacher Steven Doane. During my two years at Eastman I held a Graduate Award and was supported by the Countess of Munster Musical Trust, the British Airways Olympic Bursary Scheme and the James Marshall Foundation.
- In 2009 I graduated from Clare College, University of Cambridge with a bachelor's degree in Music. During my three years at Cambridge I held an Instrumental Award and studied privately with international cello soloist Guy Johnston.
- I have A Levels in Geography (A), Music (A) and Religious Studies (A), an AS Level in Music Technology (A) and 11 GCSEs (10 A* including English Language, English Literature and Maths, 1 A).
- I have taken ABRSM exams in cello (Grade 8 Distinction), piano (Grade 8 Distinction) and singing (Grade 7 Distinction).
- How much do you charge?
My hourly rate is £40. Discounts are available per person for group lessons. Please don't hesitate to contact me to discuss your individual requirements.
- Where do you teach?
I am happy to teach at my home in Sydenham. I can also travel to a student's home that is within 30 minutes travel time from Sydenham on public transport.
- When are you available?
My availability is flexible, including evenings and weekends; please get in touch to discuss your requirements. I am able to offer tuition during school holidays as well as term time.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
I teach all ages and levels.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
I can prepare students for ABRSM or Trinity grade exams.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
I can offer online tuition by email, Skype/FaceTime or instant messaging.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I am currently the cello teacher at Aldwickbury School in Harpenden.
- I have taught cello and chamber music at Falkner House School in South West London.
- During summer 2012 I was the cello teacher at Belvoir Terrace Arts Camp in Massachusetts, USA.
- During my graduate studies I was a Teaching Assistant at the Eastman School of Music, USA, giving cello lessons to undergraduates at the University of Rochester.
- I have been a strings tutor for the National Children's Wind and Chamber Orchestras of Great Britain.
- Since 2006 I have tutored on Musicale Holidays - summer music courses for children across the UK.
- At Loughton Music Academy and through Katie Metcalfe Music I have taught cello, violin, piano, recorder and chamber music to students aged 2 to adult.
- I have also taught at St Columba's Preparatory School in St Albans as a classroom music teacher and choir director.
- As a freelance cellist I perform widely, most recently with BBC Symphony Orchestra, BBC National Orchestra of Wales and the Aurora Orchestra.
- My London concerto debut was in 2008 with Lalo cello concerto at St John's, Smith Square.
- I have also given numerous solo and chamber music recitals.
- In 2011 I passed a teaching assessment in order to register with the Blue Tutors private tuition agency.
- Through TheTutorPages.com I have prepared students for A Level Philosophy of Religion (A grade achieved) and AS Level Music Listening (full marks achieved).
- I have also tutored AS Level Geography and held English conversation classes with a native Spanish speaker.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Where and with whom did you train?
During my master's degree at the Eastman School of Music in the US I studied with Steven Doane. Previous to that I took lessons with Guy Johnston while I was an undergraduate student at Cambridge University. At Wells Cathedral School I studied with Richard May, and for the six years previous to that my teacher was David Smith while I attended the Royal Academy of Music Junior Department.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
Morgensterns Diary Service - diary management and representation for professional musicians
- Tell me about some of your current students.
I currently teach students ranging from age 7 to adult, and from beginner level to post-grade 8.
• University of Cambridge: BA (Hons), Music
• Eastman School of Music, USA: MM, Cello Performance and Literature
• Enhanced DBS Certificate
• Morgensterns Diary Service
music lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|