All lessons - no matter what the subject matter - will include body de-stressing, expanding and correcting breath support, muscular support of articulation, and development of vocal timbre. All of this will enable students to connect with their mind and body, which in turn will help them to ensure that their voice becomes an extension of who they are. Having studied under Lyn Darnley I utilise a lot of her methods as well as those of Cicely Berry, Patsy Rodenburg and Barbara Houseman.
I am a highly motivated speech and drama tutor with 40 years of experience in coaching vocal technique within the arts, business, and education arenas. My areas of expertise include developing correct vocal technique to support public speaking, development of performance skills, and general communication. Within these areas I am able to help you pinpoint and refine skills - for example, in public speaking we can look at speech delivery, interviews, and confidence within oneself; within performance skills I can help with acting, drama, and exam and audition preparation; and within communication areas covered can include correct sound formation which will help with elocution and accent reduction, and developing vocal variety. If there are aspects of your voice that are problematic or you are not happy with how you sound, I can help you to achieve improvements through the utilisation of exercises that will focus on the targeted area.
Cancellation policy - students must cancel 48 hours prior to the lesson in order to receive a full refund.
A highly motivated, student focused voice and acting coach. An honest, hardworking, and friendly person who is punctual and reliable, and can be trusted with responsibility. Possesses excellent organisational skills, and always aims to complete a job within specified time frames. Is able to listen to and follow instructions, but at the same time will use initiative if the situation arises. Possesses excellent people and communication skills and enjoys meeting and interacting with all types of people.
- Have transferable skills gained through considerable experience within the educational arena, amongst professional voice users, and theatre practitioners
- Experience of directing and collaborating, and delivering and facilitating workshops
- Experience of preparing students for exams, festivals, and auditions
- Knowledge and experience of assessing exams and providing feedback
- Can help to develop confidence and communication skills with all abilities and ages
- Understanding of industry requirements and skills
- Worked with students to develop their confidence, improve their speech skills, accent reduction, and principles of acting
Birmingham Theatre School – Voice/Acting Coach (Higher & Further education) - October 2007 to present
Work with BTEC national diploma (performing arts) students, level 3 progression certificate in performing arts and level 5 professional diplomas in acting. Support the development of students’ acting technique and the correct use of voice, for both live performance and recorded.
- Can deliver - but not limited to - principles of acting, vocal technique, physical theatre, and audition technique for both classical and contemporary.
- Use script analysis, improvisation and other explorative strategies, verse, prose, monologue, duologue and further text-based work to develop students’ range of skills.
- All productions supported with vocal development and accent work.
- Knowledge of devising schemes of work through setting and marking lessons and assignments, reviewing progress, and offering guidance with goal setting
- Direct and guide practical work for assignments and participate on panel assessments
- Experience of delivering one to one and group tutorials
Coventry College - Sessional lecturer Performing arts - 2012 to 2013
Worked with BTEC national diploma (performing arts) students. Supported the development of students’ acting technique and the correct use of voice, for both live performance and recorded.
- Classes included acting technique, vocal technique, and audition technique for both classical and contemporary.
- Helped students develop improvisation and other explorative strategies through script analysis, and text based work and activities
Identity Drama School - Acting coach - 2011 to 2012
Work with students in a workshop situation to develop all aspects of vocal and other stagecraft techniques.
- Delivered workshops covering the acting techniques of Stanislavski, Sanford Meisner and Uta Hagen
Adhered to standards of equality and diversity.
Contract/private and group tutoring - Speech and Drama coach - 1977 to 2009
Over 30 years experience as a Speech and drama/acting coach working in a variety of schools - including nursery, key stage 1, 2, 3 and secondary - ensuring that students of all ages and abilities were equipped with correct vocal technique and drama skills.
- All areas of speech and drama covered in classes, devising and directing productions and presentations.
- Improved students’ speech skills, accent reduction, examination, and audition preparation.
- Annual participation in speech and drama festivals
- Productions carried out in collaboration with other art departments
Katherine King Theatre School/Trinity Guildhall
• NQF level 5 - Associate Teachers Diploma of Speech and Drama – Distinction
• NQF level 6 – Licentiate Teachers Diploma of Speech and Drama - Distinction
• Speech Drama Teachers Society
• British Voice Association
I enjoy walking for leisure, reading and expressing myself practically through textile art. I enjoy keeping abreast with current affairs, theatre trends and enjoy attending productions. Family is important to me and I am actively involved in my adult children’s lives.
Ann is a professional but friendly coach. She is extremely knowledgeable, creative and versatile.
She was my Speech&Drama teacher for a few years and has prepared me for exams and festivals, building my confidence and extending my abilities with her suggestions.
I would highly recommend!
Ann is a knowledgeable, fun & caring tutor. I really enjoyed my time learning with her and I found that the skills gained were easily transferable into other areas of work too (for example, acting, singing and presenting). Highly recommended!
Professional Actor and Voice Over Artist - Having worked with Ann for a number of years, I learnt so much that I still find myself going over her lessons today. Her professionalism was matched equally by her compassion, patience and Love for her students and what they are capable of. Through her guidance, I went from a strong silent young adult who grunted and mumbled, to an assertive, confident man who literally makes money selling his voice and public speaking ability. Public speaking is an ESSENTIAL skill to a fulfilling life/career and anyone would be blessed to have Ann as a mentor!
Ann has been my voice coach for the last three years whilst being apart of a drama school. Whilst having Ann as a teacher I have nothing but amazing memories. Ann is amazing and supportive teacher in every way possible. And has helped me improve my voice massively, working with my tone, diaphragm and even accents. She truly is a great and lovely teacher to have.
I would highly recommend Ann as a tutor for anyone requiring vocal/speaking lessons after having tuition for three years at the Birmingham Theatre School. Ann is a lovely, trusting lady who really helps build your confidence through her support, kindness and expertise knowledge. Every lesson with Ann is always fun and if you put in the work you can progress so quickly with her help, she really does take the time to help each student learn about their vocals and how to reach their potential. I could not recommend her enough.
I initially approached Ann after a recommendation from a friend, as being in the military I felt that I wasn't utilising my voice fully when taking command in outdoor settings. I had a basic knowledge of the voice and breath as had been involved with theatre and drama in my early days, but Ann ensured that she ran through all the basics with me again to so that the foundations were solid. Ann is a friendly and understanding teacher - with a vast knowledge of her subject - and was quickly able to identify problem areas and give me relevant exercises to work on. If I didn't understand an exercise, or it wasn't working, Ann would present me with alternatives. Ann was patient throughout, always suggesting areas for improvement, and offering guidance in other areas so that I left feeling like I had a well rounded understanding of what I needed to do. I would highly recommend Ann.
personal coaching lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest personal development lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, public speaking lessons for all!
Taking creativity coaching lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£50||£50|
|5 hours||Not available||£200||£250|
|10 hours||Not available||£475||£500|