I am a piano teacher, pianist and composer.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I teach Piano, Composition, Film Music Composition and Songwriting
- Tell me about your qualifications.
I have a 1st Class Honours degree in Music from Christ Church College, Canterbury and Grade 8 Distinction in piano-playing. I studied with Dr Frank May at the Guildhall School of Music & Drama and then privately. I have played piano for many theatre and broadcast television productions including BBC's 'The Hunt', 'The 2000 Year Old Computer', 'Diana, Secrets Behind the Crash' and the recent feature film 'The Moo Man'.
I had a scholarship in Composing for Film at the National Film & Television School, 1990-1994.
- How much do you charge?
I charge £40 per hour and £20 per half hour when teaching from home, but if travelling to pupils' homes it is £45 per hour and £25 for half hour - though I can give some discount on a block of lessons, which parents and pupils often book.
- Where do you teach?
I teach a lot in people's homes at present. I travel mainly around east Sheen, Mortlake and Richmond. I do teach also in Southall.
- When are you available?
I teach weekday afternoons and evenings generally but I am flexible. I've taught some adults early in the morning, for example, before their working day begins.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
I enjoy teaching all levels, beginners and advanced, all ages.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
I prepare students for the ABRSM Graded Music Examinations 1-8 in Practical and Theory.
- What kind of experience do you have?
I have been teaching piano to both children and adults since 1993, as well as lecturing and giving workshops in music at colleges and institutions such as Rowan Arts and Cambridge University, where I have been a music at the Moving Image Studio. I am an Affiliated Member (visiting artist researcher) of the Digital Studio for Design, Representation and Communication (DIGIS), Martin Centre, University of Cambridge.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
My most recent DBS check was November 2017.
- Where and with whom did you train?
I studied with Jean Phillips at Christ Church College, Canterbury then I trained with Dr Frank May in Pianoforte at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, Part-time Studies.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
I am an Associate Member of the British Academy of Composers, Songwriters and Authors, and an Associate Member of PRS, and a member of the Mercury Musical Workshop. I am also an Affiliated Member of DIGIS, Cambridge University.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
An eight year old student of mine won a prize at the 2016 Battersea Piano Festival, and many of my students have achieved Merit and Distinction passes in their ABRSM theory and practical exams. I organise concerts for my pupils: it's important for them to have the experience of playing in front of an audience.
• BA Hons (CL.1) in Music, Christ Church College, Canterbury & Postgrad. Scholarship in Film Music Composition, National Film School, Beaconsfield
• Studied Piano at Guildhall School of Music, Part-Time Studies, with Dr Frank May
• DBS checked November 2017
• Freelance Tutor, Cambridge University; Associate Member of B.A.S.C.A.,Mercury Musicals, PRS, Member of Actors Spotlight
Stephen Daltry has taught my children piano for just over a year and they have both flourished in that period of time. My older child can now read music and play a number of tunes competently and my younger son who only started a few months ago is also progressing very well.
Stephen has also encouraged their interest and enthusiasm such that they both really enjoy playing and practice willingly.
I have no hesitation in recommending Stephen.
piano lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£40||£40||Not available|