Dr Puri holds a PhD in mathematical modelling of medical data and a postdoc from University of Oxford. He has plenty of experience teaching Maths around Hillingdon. Dr Puri is an expert in making difficult problems look simple and understandable.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
For 11+ preparation, Dr Puri mainly do sample question papers. If the student get stuck, he helps them develop the technique to understand and solve the question using both short and long method (when possible). If the student is particular weak in a topic then he dedicates a class doing those questions for confidence building. Tanuj tries to understand student's thinking pattern first and then introduce new concepts while taking small steps ahead.
For KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4/GCSE, A-Level and University students, the classes are individually tailored to the student's needs. The students tell Tanuj in advance which topic they want to learn. He then prepares a few questions & solutions for the chosen topic to tutor during the joint session and encourage students to bring specific exercises related to the chosen topic. Tanuj asks student to solve problems in front of him to ensure that they have understood the concepts well. He then tries to help visualise maths when possible to enhance students capabilities in approaching a problem along side learning the methods. At the end, Tanuj points out the key points learned during the session.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
Dr Tanuj Puri holds a BEng in Telecommunications, MSc in Signal Processing from Glasgow, PhD in Mathematical Modelling of medical data from Ireland and a Postdoc from the University of Oxford. Puri has 10+ years of teaching experience and whenever possible helps students visualise maths. He thoroughly enjoys teaching. He also interacts with school students of all age groups at various science festivals educating them about cancer and imaging research. Puri is a scientist by profession and a reviewer to various international scientific journals. Please find examples of Dr Puri's research work on Google Scholar by searching (Tanuj Puri University of Oxford).
Doctor (or Dr) is an academic title that originates from the Latin wordÂ docÄ“reÂ meaning 'to teach'. It has been used as an academic title in Europe since the 13th century. "Dr" is used as a designation for a person who has obtained a Doctorate (the highest level of academic qualification e.g. Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD)). The completion of a PhD is often a requirement for employment as a university professor, researcher, or scientist in many fields. In many parts of the world "Dr" is also used by medical practitioners as an honorary calling since the early 19th century, regardless of whether or not they hold a doctoral-level degree.
- How much do you charge?
The fee mentioned is for one-on-one hourly sessions at STUDENTS' HOME or a public library which includes his travel cost.
£39 per hour for 11+, SATs, KS1-KS4/GCSE
£49 per hour for AS/A Levels
£59 per hour for University Level
- Where do you teach?
Tanuj teaches at his own house, student' house or public places, for example, in a local cafe or library.
- When are you available?
Please contact me to discuss his availability.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
All ages and levels.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
Selected List of Peer Reviewed Publications and Conference presentations:
1. Blake GM, Puri T et al: "Site specific measurements of bone formation using [18F] sodium fluoride PET/CT." Quantitative Imaging in Medicine & Surgery, 2018 Feb;8(1):47-59. doi: 10.21037/qims.2018.01.02 (URL: goo.gl/vhPe4L)
2. Tanuj et al: '[18F]ï¬‚uoromisonidazole PET in Rectal Cancer', European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging Research, 2017 (URL: goo.gl/yE2d3k)
3. Tanuj et al: 'A method for accurate spatial registration of PET images and histopathology slices', European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging Research, 2015, 5, pp. 64 (URL: goo.gl/JBsks6)
4. Tessa Greenhalgh, James Wilson, Tanuj Puri et al: 'FMISO-PET & perfusion CT at baseline & week 2 CRT as predictive markers for response in rectal cancer', European SocieTy for Radiotherapy & Oncology (ESTRO) 36, Vienna, Austria, 5-9 May 2017
5. Joel T. Dunn, George N. Mikhaeel, Tanuj Puri et al: 'The importance of uptake time in FDG imaging of patients with lymphoma', In European Association of Nuclear Medicine (EANM), Barcelona, Spain, 2016
6. Tanuj et al: 'Changes in pulmonary vascular properties in a human model of acute lung injury measured using DCE-MRI', In 20th Annual Scientific Meeting of the British Chapter of International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM), Edinburgh, UK, September 2014
7. Tanuj et al: 'Bone turnover at the spine and hip measured using 18F-PET-CT', 3rd Joint meeting of the European Calcified Tissue Society (ECTS) & the International Bone and Mineral Society (IBMS), Athens, Greece, May 2011
8. Tanuj et al: 'Bone metabolism measured with six quantification methods using 18F-PET', In World Molecular Imaging Congress (WMIC), San Diego, California, USA, September 2011
One of our best tutors! High-quality profile, qualifications verified and response guaranteed. Tanuj will plan your first lesson with care.
- What kind of experience do you have?
2017-Present: Private Maths Tutor
*11+ and SATs exam, KS2, KS3
*Higher and Foundation GCSE Maths (Edexcel and AQA)
*Core Maths (C1, C2, C3, C4) for A-levels (Edexcel)
*Maths for Economists (Functions, Derivatives, Partial Derivatives, Constrained and Unconstrained Optimisation, Marginal Products & Utility)
2014-2017: University of Oxford, UK
*Department of Oncology: Assisted in supervising PhD student & clinical fellows
2011-2013: King's College London, UK
*School of Biomedical Engineering & Imaging Sciences: Co/supervised BSc/MBBS/MSc student projects
2008-2010: Senior Tutor & Invigilator, University College Dublin, Ireland
*School of Mathematics: Differential and Multivariate Calculus, Statistics, Matrices & Vectors
*School of Medicine: Designed and delivered 'Applied Research & Statistics' for 4th year Radiology
2007–2008: Teaching Assistant, University of Strathclyde, UK
*Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering: Probability and stochastic process
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
He has a basic Scotland Disclosure certificate.
- Where and with whom did you train?
Learning is always evolving. The more we learn, the more we realize there is even more to learn.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
Please check the media section to get a copy of my short CV for details.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
Tanuj currently tutors University, A-levels, GCSE/KS4, KS3, KS2, SAT's and 11+ students.
• BEng, MSc, PhD
• PhD in Mathematical Modelling, Postdoc from University of Oxford
• Scotland Disclosure available on request
• Visiting senior research fellow at Guys Hospital
Tanuj is an experienced maths tutor offering private tuition to all ability ranges from GCSE, A-levels and graduates. His pupils have achieved excellent results in their examinations, and he come highly recommended by past students. His approach in teaching is to prepare pupils such that they achieve excellent grades in exams with true understanding of the subject. His pupils enjoy his teaching style, and have obtained excellent grades. He always consider the success of pupils as the main objective. He is an educator with excellent ability to teach, motivate, and direct students while maintaining high interest and achievement. He is an articulate communicator able to effectively interact with diverse populations of students at a variety of academic levels. I highly recommend him as a tutor.
Tanuj is a very good tutor who has provided deep insights and useful advice. His approach is experimental, inductive, from details and examples to a general picture. I like that he's helped me make myself the right questions rather than just delivering his knowledge. I can tell he is also a good scientist as he puts practice and critical thinking first.
Absolutely amazing teacher with a wide range of knowledge in the subject. He wants his students to learn and understand rather than just memorise. I have been learning from him for more than 20 lessons and I have always learned something new in each lesson. I'd highly recommend to anyone who wants to achieve good grades.
11+ school exam preparation lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£39||£39||Not available|