- Hourly rate £19
- Response Time 3h
- Number of students 9
1st lesson free!
TEFL qualified, native English speaker with 200+ hours of online tutoring experience
- By webcam
Penelope is one of our best tutors. They have a high-quality profile, verified qualifications, a quick response time, and great reviews from students!
About the lesson
Hi, I'm Penelope!
You can expect my lessons to be tailored to you according to your individual goals; I have tutored students at intermediate level, students preparing for their IELTS exam and students who have personal development goals.
I always try to put my students at ease because talking in another language can be scary! Rather than correct after every mistake, which I believe to be disheartening, I correct pronunciation at the time but grammar and vocabulary I leave until the student has finished speaking and I let minor mistakes go.
My aim is to build your confidence and try to have you talking 80% of the time.
I use a catalogue of online materials to assist with the lessons as well as creating whole new lessons based around specific topics on request of the student.
Generally, what you can expect from my class is a friendly face who is patient and encouraging. I give lots of praise because I believe it's good for my student's self-esteem and helps them become more confident at speaking.
I try to make learning English fun but I also like to challenge my students to help with their progression.
I'm best suited to tutoring adults with at least a basic understanding of English already. I am not qualified to teach children or foundation English. My lessons are aimed at people who want to practice speaking English with a native English speaker and who want to improve and advance their abilities.
- Vocabulary - English
I was born in London but have lived in Manchester for 7+ years.
I have a background in Accountancy however I recently retrained as a Massage Therapist as I wanted a career change.
I love practising Yoga, meditation and have recently started running. I enjoy being fit and active.
I follow a plant-based diet and enjoy cooking and experimenting with new dishes.
I love to travel; my favourite place is India!
I love mountainous regions and going on long hikes in nature.
Overall I would say I'm a fairly positive person with a zest for life and learning. That's why I chose my new career path because it's an endless learning opportunity.
I think that's why I enjoy tutoring English so much because I love to learn, so if I can help other people learn then it feeds my soul :)
I have been tutoring on another online platform for over six months and have tutored over 130+ hours. I currently have a 4.94 rating on this site which I am happy to send a screenshot of for more reassurance.
Perfect! For the first lesson, that was wonderful. I will keep studying English with her and I know I can improve my skills with her.
- Penelope's response : Sara was a delight to teach today. She shows great enthusiasm and dedication to improving her English. She is more knowledgeable than she gives herself credit for! I look forward to working with Sara to develop her confidence and get her ready for her IELTS exam :)
Perfect! Penelope is very patient and I really enjoy having leesons with her. She's fun and knows how to work with advanced levels, which is surely not easy, I know, I am a language teacher myself. I appreciate her lessons and I recommend her as an English teacher.
- Penelope's response : Silvia is an absolute breeze to tutor. She's dedicated, hardworking and eager to learn. She already has an excellent grasp on the English language so it's more about the fine-tuning. Lovely energy and look forward to more classes with Silvia :)
Perfect! The lessons are very fluent and enjoyable. 100% recommend to anyone.
- Penelope's response : Corey is a really lovely guy, he's very genuine and hardworking. He is very focused on passing his IELTS exam which I have no doubt that he will do. I really enjoy my lessons with Corey, he is a pleasure to tutor :)
Perfect! Penelope is a great teacher. She is kind, accessible and patient. It's easy to remember every lesson because her method is a pleasure to learn. Her lessons are light and we have fun a lot.
- Penelope's response : I'm really enjoyed connecting with Andrea. Her dedication and motivation to learn English are admirable and I loved chatting about Yoga with her. I look forward to future lessons with Andrea :)
Perfect! Penelope is an amazing tutor. She is very kind, helpful, funny and knowledgable. I 100% recommend her
- Penelope's response : It was an absolute pleasure speaking with Kiana today. She has such amazing energy and a positive, inquisitive outlook on life. I really look forward to helping her grow her EFL abilities over the coming weeks and I have no doubt she will pass her IELTS :)
Perfect! My daughter enjoyed her class with Penelope tremendously.
- Penelope's response : I really enjoyed teaching Kristin's daughter. We covered family, school bag items and describing rooms in the house :)
View more reviews
Penelope is super friendly and provides a safe space in which to learn, ask questions and practice. Penelope takes time to explain and find examples ensuring that everything is understood. She’s a great tutor for conversational practice and IELTS exams. Highly recommend!
Penelope is a full of dedication and characters, I have been learning from her for past 6 months. I have gained extensive knowledge from her tutoring. Especially, her way of speaking British accent is more amusing, moreover, she shares and helps sending notes and tips post class according to our our need. you will be cheered and vibrated after finishing her each class. Good luck
Penny is an excellent tutor. Since starting as an EFL Tutor she has built trusting relationships with many students who praise her for her communicative skills and her commitment to their learning. I would definitely recommend Penny at a tutor.
Penelope Swan is one of the most thoughtful and caring teacher I have ever encountered .Penelope swan has successfully maintained utmost professionalism toward me as student and continued to be the best there is . I definitely recommend her.
View more recommendations
- 5h: £90
- 10h: £180
As tutoring is a second income for me, we would need to check if our schedules align.
I offer a 30 minute lesson free of charge to see if our tutoring/learning styles are a good match. Thereafter I require payment in advance of each lesson but I am very laid-back about lesson booking; with my other students we usually take it on a week-by-week basis.