Hello, I am a First Class Hons Degree graduate of the Royal Academy of Music. I am looking for some London based students of any age and standard that have a desire to learn in an enjoyable, tailored and inspired way!
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I teach the Saxophone, Clarinet, Improvisation on any instrument and Beginner-Intermediate Piano.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
I have a First Class Hons Degree in Jazz Performance from the Royal Academy of Music.
I have nearly completed the Licentiate of the Royal Academy of Music which is a separate teaching qualification through the Royal Academy that focuses on 1-1 and group teaching.
I am the winner of the 2017 Kenny Wheeler Prize in association with Edition Records and The Royal Academy of Music.
I achieved a distinction in my grade 8 back in 2010.
- How much do you charge?
My rates are...
£25 for 30 mins
£35 for 1 hour.
This is for 1-1 tuition and group tuition.
- Where do you teach?
I live in Walthamstow but tend to travel to my students for the lesson if they live in London.
- When are you available?
I am currently available on Monday afternoons, Tuesday evenings, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
I teach students of all ages. On the Clarinet and Saxophone I teach to all standards and on Piano I teach to intermediate level.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
This really depends on the student but ABRSM graded exams can work well to motivate a younger pupil to want to play their instrument. I am able to prepare a young adult for their Conservatoire audition. I am also open to preparing students for any other music related qualifications that they wish to partake in.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions! I am reliable and determined to get the best of out my students whilst attempting to inspire them in a comfortable, fun environment. Thanks.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I am a member of the tutor panel at Enfield Music Service for Saxophone and Clarinet.
- I currently assist with weekly whole class clarinet lessons at a primary school in the Enfield Area.
- I currently teach group clarinet lessons and 1-1 clarinet and saxophone lessons for Enfield Music Service.
- I have been involved in leading Jazz ensembles on 3 placements at the St Marylebone C of E School, and on the Royal Academy of Music's Junior Department.
- I completed the Creative Music Leadership course at the Royal Academy of Music which involved assisting with leading an all-day workshop to year threes in collaboration with London Music Masters. It also involved attending weekly lectures at the Royal Academy of Music on leading group musicianship workshops.
- I attended weekly lectures by Paul Harris for a Degree module entitled 'Principals of Teaching'.
- I also visited 15 schools and youth clubs across Northamptonshire working for the charity 'Notivate'. Each visit included a performance by a jazz band, an improvisation workshop and a Q&A session.
-I have extensive experience in playing the piano and composing on the piano. I had second study piano lessons through out my time at the Royal Academy of Music with the acclaimed Nikki Illes.
Previous professional performances have included playing the saxophone at Ronnie Scott's, Buckingham Palace, Cheltenham Jazz Festival, Brecon Jazz Festival, The Jazz Nursery, The Vortex, The 606 Club, and the Pizza Express Jazz Club among others. Tom has also enjoyed working with composers, music producers and pop artists such as the acclaimed Ian Livingstone (LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2 soundtrack), Tom Fletcher (Live Blue Peter appearence) and TYRELL.
"...he slips between bop language and modernist abstraction like a true polyglot, his timing and phrasing always impeccable."- Jazzwise Magazine
"We are witnessing the birth of a new star in the jazz firmament." – Evan Parker
"A future star of the UK Jazz scene" – Jazzwise Magazine
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
Yes I have a recent DBS certificate.
- Where and with whom did you train?
I spent my childhood under the guidance of the great saxophone player Will Osborn. I was regularly taught yearly on the National Youth Jazz Collective summer schools. At the age of 16 I gained a place on the junior jazz course at the Royal Academy of Music which involved weekly teaching from the incredible Gareth Lockrane. I then went on to receive a scholarship for the undergraduate course at the Royal Academy in 2013 where I have studied with many world class musicians- Will Vinson, Ben Wendel, Iain Ballamy, Stan Sulzmann, Julian Seigal, James Allsopp, Tim Garland. I have also had private tuition with Chris Potter, Seamuas Blake, Melissa Aldana, and Chris Cheek.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
I am a member of staff on the tutor panel for Enfield Music Service for Saxophone and Clarinet. I also hold the Tenor saxophone chair for the acclaimed National Youth Jazz Orchestra.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
I teach a wide array of pupils privately and through Enfield Music Service. I also teach group clarinet lesson and whole class clarinet lessons in a London primary school.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£20||£20||Not available|