I would look to engage with my students in an informal discussion style of lesson.
We would examine primary sources and and analyse their importance as well as talking about how to understand historical narratives.
In this way the student's confidence will improve as well as developing their knowledge and skills.
The more informal style of lesson is also intended to make sure they enjoy the lessons.
I've worked and volunteered at several schools/ educational programs where I have taught students of all ages. I have also been a tutor for students struggling who were at my school. I also help run the Durham University Classics Society and act as the academic affairs officer where I help students with their work.
BA Ancient, Medieval and Modern History, Durham University 2015-2018
• Penultimate-year student (first-year average 2:1, predicted 1st)
• First-year modules: Wars and Welfare: English Society, 1900-1945 (2:1), Monuments and Memory in the Age of Augustus (1st), Remembering Athens (1st), The Craft of the Ancient Historian (2:1), Early Modern England: A Social History (2:1), Making History (1st).
• Current modules: Conversations with History, Soviet Socialism in the Cold War: The USSR, 1945-1991, Crisis of the Roman Republic, Interpreting Greek Tragedy Today, Emperors and Dynasties: From the Julio-Claudians to Diocletian's Tetrarchy.
A-Level, Highgate School, London 2013-2015
• AQA: Classification Civilisation (A*).
• OCR: Mathematics (A), Further Mathematics (B).
• EDEXCEL/GC board: History (A).
GCSE/IGCSE, Highgate School, London 2010-2013
• 8 A*, 2 A.
• IGCSE (CIE): English Language (A*), English Literature (A), Spanish (A*), French (A).
• IGCSE (EDEXCEL): Double Science (A*A*).
• GCSE (AQA): Mathematics Applications (A*), Mathematics Methods (A*), Classical Civilisation (A*).
• GCSE (EDEXCEL): History (A*).
Other Qualifications, Highgate School, London 2010-2014
• ABRSM: Grade 5 and 6 Singing (with merit), grade 5 Music Theory (with merit).
• Duke of Edinburgh: Bronze and Silver Awards.
Previous Employment, Work Experience and Volunteering
Estates Team Assistant (and Supervisor) June-September 2016, 2015, 2014
Highgate School, London
• Assisted with the managing of the estates of Highgate School, including reception work, working with contractors, I.T. and gardening.
• Supervised team of 8 people to ensure the opening of a new school building on schedule.
Tutor of Maths, History and Singing 2014-2015
Dynamic Tutoring Network, London
• First tier academic tutor for history and maths, for students taking GCSEs or below.
• Second tier musical tutor for singing.
Maintenance Assistant June-August 2013
Golden Hind Trust, London
• Museum and working replica of Sir Frances Drake’s ship.
• Assisted in various technical activities as well as interacting with the public and directing them around the ship and informing them about its history.
Choir Leader (Volunteer Role) 2012-2017
Our Lady of Muswell Children’s Vigil Choir, London
• Helped run rehearsals and services for the choir including conducting the choir and supervising a large group of children (including working with children with learning difficulties).
Teaching Assistant (Volunteer Role) 2013-2015
St Michael’s C of E Primary School, London
• Taught maths as a classroom assistant and supervised a group of 6 children (aged 9-10).
Classroom Assistant (Volunteer Role) May-June 2013
St Aiden’s Primary School, London
• Assisted a class of children (aged 5-6), included helping with maths, music, French and literacy.
Junior Catechist (Volunteer Role) January-May 2013
Our Lady of Muswell RC Church
• Taught a group 10-12 of young adults (aged 15) looking to take the sacrament of confirmation. Involved advising on and teaching about religious and spiritual matters.
• In several schools choirs, performed at several prestigious events and venues including the Royal Festival Hall, Southwark Cathedral, St. Paul’s Cathedral, The Roundhouse, St. Peter’s Basilica. Won ‘BBC School Choir of the Year 2014’ and was choir secretary for the Boys Chapel choir 2014-2015.
• Played the part of Creon in a production of Euripides’ Medea.
• 4th XI football centre-back and captain.
• Gave various talks at Classics Society and History Society.
• Member and Co-President of Grey College Choir (2015-2018), organising rehearsals, concerts and a tour in 2017.
• Durham University Classics Society Academic Affairs Officer (2016-2017), organising academic talks, an academic journal and assisting the rest of the exec. team in organising the annual society ball.
• Active member of the Durham Union Society, Durham University Labour Club and Durham University History Society.
• Right back for Grey College Football E team.
• Enjoy tennis, football, squash, hiking and running.
• Enjoy singing and wide variety of musical styles, member of a jazz/swing band.
• Hobbies and interests include politics, debating, philosophy, history, Italian and culture.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, as well as other basic I.T. skills.
history lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest general knowledge lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, current affairs lessons for all!
Taking geopolitics lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|