Hey! I'm Oliver, 21 years old and a graduate from The University of Birmingham.
The most important thing, for me, is that learning is fun. Without a love for music, you can never truly flourish. This is why I make sure to engage students through a variety of activities and I tailor my teaching style to best suit each individual. I’ve been called bonkers before but never boring – and I’ve never had a pupil quit!
I have been tutoring music for 7 years now ... and I've loved every minute! I have built up a bank of resources and wealth of knowledge over this time in order to make lessons fun and productive.
All my students have achieved merits or distinctions in exams, some of whom surpassing 90%!
Key Achievements and Skills
• I am reliable and dedicated to my work, as is demonstrated by my regular, continued attendance at my job as a Young Advisor. I am able to balance the workload alongside my degree and also engage in extra tasks, such as developing training resources, outside of events to help my company maintain a good reputation.
• Commercial awareness of teaching and private tuition as both a service-user and provider.
• Seven years teaching experience as a private music tutor where I organised lessons, created and developed my own resources, and managed student and financial records.
• Musical expertise gained through my fifteen years of musical training and public performances in a range of musical contexts from Medieval to Contemporary Popular. In this time, I have been commended as an ‘outstanding flugelhorn soloist’ at National Brass Band competitions.
• Self-management skills gained through my ability to work independently and to a high standard as a tutor, events manager and young advisor, recognised by my attainment of an ILM Level 2 extended award in leadership.
• Confident verbal communication and interpersonal skills advanced through my delivering of training to students of varying backgrounds on Level 6 and 7 courses at Midlands Universities.
2017-2020 University of Birmingham
Bachelor of Music
Key modules: Performance and Performance Practice
2015-2017 Lady Manners School
3 A levels (AAB)
2 AS levels (AA)
EPQ in Philosophy of ‘The Self’ (A*)
Arts Award Gold (Pass)
2010-2016 Buxton Community School
1 A level in Religious Studies (A*) – studied part time
11 GCSEs (9A*s, 1A, 1C, including A* in English Language and A in Mathematics)
9/2017-Present Associate Development Solutions Ltd
Senior Young Advisor
As a Senior Young Advisor, I develop and deliver training to professionals, ensuring to represent the voice of young people. Through this, I have gained confidence in presentational skills, and have become proficient at creating training materials that have been distributed across NHS and partner organisations in The Midlands.
Private Music Tutor
In this role I taught a diverse set of individuals and tailored my teaching for their different learning requirements, in conjunction with managing the logistics of the role. Through this, I have developed my teaching to keep it engaging for students, no-matter-what age. My students consistently achieved 80% and above in external examinations across a variety of subjects.
9/2018-Present The Guild of Students, University of Birmingham
Musical Director (MD)
As an MD, I am responsible for teaching the music to the cast and band and for
developing the creative vision for the show. I advanced my time management skills in this role and have been able to create sell out shows for audiences of 200 in under two months.
Interests Outside studying, I participate in musical shows, as a performer and MD, where I consistently attain lead roles. Beyond this, I like to destress through running and swimming and enjoy reading, watching live music and socialising with my friends.
Graded Music Examinations
• LLCM Popular Music Vocals - Grade 8 Distinction
• LLCM Popular Music Theory – Grade 8 Distinction
• ABRSM Singing – Grade 8 Distinction
• ABRSM Piano – Grade 8 Merit
singing lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest music reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, piano lessons for all!
Taking music theory lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£30||Not available||£30|