My lessons are for anyone who wants to learn to play the violin within the context of folk, pop and/or rock. For beginners, we will look at the basics of classical violin technique to ensure safety whilst playing, as well as how to read music and basic music theory. We will look at folk, pop and rock repertoire, and begin to look at the techniques that can be used to make these genres come alive on the violin. Standard violin, electric violin, and 8ve violin can all be explored, as well as how effects pedals such as loops, reverbs, delays and distortion and more can be used to modify the sound of your playing into something truly unique and expressive. For more advanced students all of the above can be explored, as well as a more personalised look at performance technique, pushing the boundaries of artistry, violin composition, and advanced violin technique. Sessions will be presented in a supportive way through the exploration of repertoire, practical tasks, practice plans, and constructive discussion.
I am passionate about music, in particular, songwriting, production, studio engineering, and violin. I am happy to crossover into each of these areas as relevant to the lesson focus of either songwriting or violin, the two areas of teaching I currently offer.
My journey as a musician began with my role as a professional violinist. I am trained to grade 8 level in Scottish folk violin, grade 7 in classical violin, grade 5 in music theory, and level 3 in pop/rock performance, and have been gigging and recording in these genres for over 7 years, developing a strong sense of musicality, technique and performance through this. I have been a songwriter and a media composer for the past few years, completing commissions and constantly building on my research and knowledge into the field, as well as university level training in composition, studio engineering, production and music business. I am about to begin the final year of my Music degree at Goldsmiths, University of London, within which I have studied (amongst other equally interesting modules) sound engineering, composition, sonic art, film composition, and will undertake a university level research project into the art of popular songwriting.
I have been teaching for a few months, undertaking two songwriting students who continue to really enjoy their sessions. I have absolutely loved the role and look forward to taking on more students. I don't have a huge back catalogue of teaching experience but I am very enthusiastic and work hard to ensure the best experience of taught sessions.
VIOLINIST, BAND WORK, GIGS AND SESSIONS; DEVON & LONDON - 2014-PRESENT
- Freelance violinist for live and recording work in folk and popular genres. Have worked on many projects, but the most exciting opportunity so far was playing for Myrkur at her London gig in December 2018.
- 2015-2017 lead ceilidh/folk ensemble ‘Hogwash’ at regular live events. High stamina needed in order to maintain energy in the role as performances often many hours long as well as teamwork skills in band setting.
- 2014-2015 significant body of recording work for folk band De’Malebysse at Propagation House Studios with
engineer Mark Ellis, as well as live work at various folk festivals including Bath Folk Festival, Sidmouth Fringe, Sidmouth Folk Festival, and Ilfracombe Beer Festival.
SONGWRITING TUTOR; LONDON, UK, 2019-PRESENT
- Private tutoring of beginner songwriters, weekly lessons, detailed tailored lesson planning, preparation and consolidation.
- Development of teaching and organisational skills.
MUSIC ARTIST, INCONNIA; LONDON, UK, 2018-PRESENT
- Artist alias ‘inconnia’ set up through which to release commercial music singles on a 6 weekly basis starting in September 2019.
- In addition to songwriting, recording and production of the singles, the role has so far included designing detailed business, finance and social media plans with short and long term realistic goal setting, learning the ins and outs of the commercial music industry, learning arts branding and graphic design, learning arts marketing, learning DIY arts distribution, and learning how to make YouTube videos and social media plugs using the Adobe Suite as well as self-motivation, time management and creativity.
MEDIA COMPOSER; LONDON, UK, 2018-PRESENT
- Freelance media composition writing and producing soundtracks for short films
- In addition to composing, recording and production, the role involves good communication skills with film
makers, ability to give and receive constructive criticism, and excellent time management skills.
VOLUNTARY AV WORK, WORLD SUBUD ASSOCIATION; FREIBURG, GERMANY & BURY ST. EDMUNDS, UK,
- Lead and assistant sound engineer at several live music events at the World Subud Congress 2018 in Germany. Working and solving problems under high pressure with live sound technology to achieve a good experience for both performers and audience.
- Co-responsibility for AV and live sound at Subud UK Congress 2018. Setting up and packing down AV equipment and assisting participants in the Congress with any AV problems/needs.
MUSIC PRODUCER SHADOWING, MARTIN SEARLE (PRODUCER); LONDON, UK, 2018
- Multiple shadowing sessions with successful music producer Martin Searle in his studio in London learning about studio and industry etiquette as well as how to work with clients effectively.
Goldsmiths, University of London, London - BMus Music, (graduation in 2020, HEAR studio engineering
Exeter College, Exeter, Devon - Level 3 Diploma in Music, D*D*D*, Extended Project Qualification on the Ethics of Fast Fashion, A, A level Music, B, AS level Business, B
Trinity College London, (exam board) - Grade 8 Scottish Folk Violin, Distinction, Grade 7 Classical Violin, Pass
ABRSM (exam board), Grade 5 Music Theory, Merit
Stover School, Newton Abbot, Devon - 10 GCSE’s grades A*-B (including Maths and English)
Very encouraging and friendly! Certainly knows her stuff! I’ve come away from her lessons with solid practical knowledge and skills that I feel confident in putting in place academically, personally and professionally!
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£25||Not available||Not available|