My teaching methodology is all about delivering you well-planned, individualised lessons that suit your needs. There will be the use of PowerPoints and activities e-mailed to you before the lesson so that you are set up for when we start. I have a calm and patient, but also possess a good sense of humour and I am able to deliver lessons in a fun and interesting manner. I am happy to look over essays you have completed and discuss some techniques that I really think will benefit you in your exams.
Fully qualified teacher of history, government & politics and sociology. I taught for four years in a Sixth Form college in the North East of England then for five years overseas in British international schools. I have extensive experience of teaching GCSE, A Level, IGCSE and IB. My results have been consistently excellent and I have secured on average 80% A*- C grades for my students at GCSE and A Level over the years.
August 2017 – July 2018 British International School Moscow
• Teacher of History at Key Stage 3, IGCSE and IB level. Oversee the development of schemes of work and lesson plans for non-specialists teaching in my area
• Teacher of Sociology at IGCSE for the current Year 11 cohort.
• Form tutor for a Year 8 class with responsibility for pastoral and academic support
• Proactive in the use of interactive and online learning tools to enhance learning, such as Google Classroom and ManageBac
• Mentor for the Creative/Active/Service unit of the International Baccalaureate for Year 12 and 13 students
Sept 2013 – July 2017 Braeburn International School Arusha
• Assistant Head in the secondary school with responsibility for Key Stage 5
• Head of Humanities overseeing History, Geography and Sociology. Subject tutor of History teaching across all Key Stage ranges
• Form tutor with pastoral responsibilities including pastoral support and UCAS applications
• Responsibility of schemes of work, Self Evaluation Report and Quality Improvement Plan for History
• Produced and shared resources to aid non-specialists in my subject area
• Variety of assessment methods used to promote learning, such as peer assessment and self-assessment
• Shared leadership responsibility for a number of cross-curricular trips – includes learning about the origins of man at Oldupai Gorge in Northern Tanzania with Year 7, and successfully climbing Mount Kilimanjaro and Mount Meru with Year 10 and Year 9 respectively.
Sept 2009 – July 2013 Hartlepool Sixth Form College, Hartlepool
• Subject Tutor for History and Government & Politics, teaching both AS and A2 classes
• Proactive in developing content choice for A Level History and helping to develop all schemes of work
• Form Tutor with pastoral responsibilities including UCAS application support.
• Planned and developed resources for all subject areas, with responsibility for schemes of work
• Regular monitoring and assessment of pupils
• Development and implementation of teaching methods and learning strategies to incorporate greater use of ICT e.g. use of interactive white boards and e-learning methods
• Development of a field study programmes - leadership of a project entitled ‘African Adventures’ which saw 24 students helping communities in Ghana in the summer of 2013
2008-2009 PGCE Teaching Placements
• Ullswater Community College, Penrith
Teaching History from KS3 to KS5 and Government and Politics at KS5
• Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, Penrith
Teaching pupils across the whole age range. Also taught Government and Politics at KS5.
PGCE History - University of Cumbria 2008-2009
BA Hons Politics & History - University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne 2005-2008
Mr Waller was my A-level history teacher in Tanzania. He is a great tutor because he was patient with me. He explains things in different ways and is good at giving analogies, which makes it easier for the student to understand. He gives constructive critisism but he pushes you to give more when that exam comes than you even thought you could. He's also just an awsome human being all around! I place complete confidence in him to help a student with History.
Adam gave me a big confidence boost in my History skills. It became one of my favourite subjects, as well as one of my best grades for A-levels.
Mr Waller is a fabulous and thorough teacher who made History fun and exciting. I was pleased with my grades and he made me feel very prepared for my exams.
history lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest sociology lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, current affairs lessons for all!
Taking politics lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£30||£25|
|5 hours||Not available||£105||£125|
|10 hours||Not available||£200||£250|