I have worked throughout my career in copywriting, journalism, editing, and book publishing. I offer individual consulting to adults (mainly with English as a second language) who want to improve any kind of writing project in English, in any subject area. This includes presentations, speeches, reports, letters and more.
I have been editing the written work of others for the last 25 years on a professional basis - and am now moving into individual consulting and tutoring. This is project-based work, so the student will bring a piece of written work to the class, and we will look at aspects that can be improved, and what kind of English language structures and vocabulary will help to build on the learning in the future.
Journalist, copywriter, editor, and translator with strong inter-personal and concept development skills. London-based.
2017 freelance writing, editing and translation (French to English)
2005-2016 book publisher, Quarto Publishing
2002-2004 books, websites, project development at Centaur
1997-2001 editor of weekly business and technology magazine, Centaur
1993-1997 motoring journalist, Perry MotorPress
1990-1993 reporter, trade magazines, Reed Business Publishing
1989 internal coms copywriter, Kensington & Chelsea borough
1988 marketing copywriter, Mott MacDonald
1987 research analyst, Ministry of Defence
Freelance writer, editor, translator
Bringing together my experience in business journalism, copywriting, and book publishing to offer sharp and relevant copy, editing and writing services, as well as French-to-English translation, with fast turnaround, attention to detail, and a consultative approach.
Publisher, Quarto Publishing, London
Quarto Publishing creates illustrated reference books (craft, art, gardening, food, etc.) for global markets. My creative responsibilities included:
• Generating ideas, concepts, and visual approach for 30+ illustrated non-fiction books published each year
• Commissioning authors, shaping content, re-writes, sub-editing
• Working with designers to conceptualise illustrations and cover designs
• Leading and managing a team of 12 editors and designers
• Working with publishing partners to ensure content has relevance to major markets across the world
New project development, Centaur Communications
• Researched the potential for new business quarterly magazine
• Launched a new Centaur publishing division: French Property Media
• Set up two French property websites
• Researched and planned a new magazine: ‘Renovation’
• Set up commercial partnership with Groupe Express in Paris
• Co-authored and published book:
‘How To Renovate A House In France’, Ascent Publishing, 2004
Magazine Editor, The Engineer, Centaur Communications
As editor of this weekly business and technology magazine for the UK’s manufacturing industry, my responsibilities included:
• Working with stakeholders, internally and externally, to shape the content and direction of the magazine
• Managing budgets, and leading a team of eight editors and designers
• Flat-planning each issue, commissioning features and comment
• Writing and reporting on business and policy issues
• Running and presenting industry seminars and conferences
News Editor, Complete Car Magazine, Perry MotorPress
A monthly consumer magazine owned by Motor-Presse, Stuttgart.
• Planning, sourcing and writing a 12pp news section each month
• Writing features, test drive reports, and analysis pieces
Birkbeck College, University of London
MSc Psychodynamic Counselling and Psychotherapy (part-time)
Birkbeck College, University of London
Certificate of Higher Education, Psychodynamic Counselling and Organisational Dynamics (Distinction)
Reed Business Publishing
Certificate of Periodical Journalism
Keble College, Oxford
BA (Hons) Philosophy, Politics and Economics (2.1)
Perfect! A very talented, exceptional and professional teacher.
oral expression - english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest written comprehension - english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, written expression - english lessons for all!
Taking business english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£30||Not available||£25|
|5 hours||£25||Not available||£125|
|10 hours||£21||Not available||£250|