I teach music - both theory and performance. I am a Ph.D. in musicology with many tears experience in teaching from A level to college tutoring. But I have also performed jazz and classical music on three continents and know how to develop musicians in both technique and musicianship. Everything I teach is tailored to the needs and interests of the student.
Decided on a case-by-case basis
Peter is highly educated (to PhD level) and a leading, published expert in his field, the flute in jazz and world music. He is also experienced in ensemble coaching and teaching music at tertiary level.
I have been teaching music in schools and colleges in the UK, USA and India since 1965 while also performing in jazz groups and classical orchestras, both live and in studios. All of this experience is brought to bear on my private and classroom teaching.
I have taught dozens of private students from beginners to advance and helped many pass music A levels and beyond. I am also editor-in-chief of an international music publication.
* Ph.D. in Musicology, University of Maryland, College Park, 2001
* Graduate program in Ethnomusicology, University of Washington, 1980-82
* M.A. in Interdisciplinary Foundations of Education, MIU Fairfield, IA, 1976
* B.A. (Hons.) in English, California State University at Sacramento, 1974
OTHER EDUCATION AND RESEARCH
*Ongoing studies in flute performance with Ali Ryerson, 2004-present
*Master classes with William Montgomery at University of Maryland, 1994-1998 & 2007
* Studies in Hindustani Classical Music with Prof. Debu Chaudhuri, Pandit Vijay Raghav Rao, & Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia, U.S.A., Holland and India, 1988-95, and with Ustad Zia Muhammad Dagar and Ustad Sabri Khan, University of Washington, 1980-82
* Courses in Hindustani music, theory and performance, Gandharva School of Music, Washington, D.C., 1988-90
* Music theory and performance studies with Gary Peacock, Cornish Institute, Seattle, Washington, 1982-84
ACADEMIC POSITIONS TEACHING AND PUBLISHING
* Editor-in-chief, International Flute Journal, (concealed information) 2014-present
* Founder and president, Harmonia Books and Music, publishing books, films and sheet music, 2010-present.
* Founding chair of World Music Committee, National Flute Association, 2011
* Member, Board of Directors/Advisors, Alan Hovhaness International Research Center, Yerevan, Armenia and Library of Congress, Washington, DC
* Private instructor in woodwinds and music theory, in UK and USA, 1965-present
* Visiting lecturer and curriculum consultant to World Music program, Birmingham Conservatory, University of Central England, Birmingham, U.K., 1998-2002
* Independent lecturer in musicology, cultural history and future studies, offering lectures and seminars in colleges and institutions in the U.S., Europe and India, 1996-present
* Consultant to Smithsonian Institution, performance programs in Indian and other
non-Western music, 1994-1995
* Visiting lecturer in music, Bombay University, Spring 1994
* Visiting lecturer in music, Delhi University, Fall 1993
*Guest teacher in music and humanities, Seattle, WA (1980-83) & Montgomery County, MD (1988-1995), school districts
*Director, Gandharva School of Music, Washington, D.C., 1987-90
* Leader, Jazz Flute Big Band-UK, 2015-Present. Appearances London Jazz Festival, 2016
* First flute, Maghull Wind Orchestra, 2015-Present
* Second flute, clarinet & saxophone, Ormskirk Symphony Orchestra
* Member, National Flute Association Jazz Flute Big Band, New York, 2009, Charlotte, NC 2011, New Orleans, LA, 2013, Washington DC, 2015
* Leader, Peter Westbrook Trio & Quartet, Birmingham, UK, Seattle, WA and Washington, D.C., Liverpool, UK, 1970-present
* Co-Leader, The Linden Trio 1994-98
* Freelance Studio Musician,Delhi and Bombay, India, 1971-2001 Music for Indian movies and Air India
* Freelance studio musician, London, U.K. 1970-72,1977-78
Flute and saxophone work on a variety of jazz, folk, popular and world-beat recordings
* Member, Sattva, U.K., 1971-72 Popular London-based jazz/rock ensemble which toured Europe extensively
* Member, Spontaneous Music Ensemble, London, U.K. 1970-72 Groundbreaking ensemble in the area of collective improvisation. Tours of U.K., Germany, Holland. Recordings for B.B.C.
* Music Director, International Drama Festival, Birmingam Arts Centre, U.K., July 1968
* Incidental music for Three Plays of Samuel Beckett, University of Birmingham, U.K., January 1968
* Intercollegiate Jazz Contest, Croydon, U.K., 1967
* I’ll See You Again: Peter Westbrook Duo, Trio & Quartet, CD, 2012
* The Flute in Jazz: Window on World Music Documentary film, 2012
* The Flute in Jazz: Window on World Music (Aspen Hill, MD: Harmonia Books, 2011)
* “Unstruck Sound: Music and Forgotten Truth” Journal of Ultimate Reality and Meaning, University of Toronto Press, Spring 2008
*“Frank Wess: Quintessential Jazz Flutist” The Flutist Quarterly, Fall 2007
* Writer, record & concert reviewer, jazzreview.com, The Flutist Quarterly, 2004-
*Divine Harmony: The Life and Teachings of Pythagoras, with John Strohmeier (Berkeley, CA: Berkeley Hills Books, 2000. Aspen Hill, MD: Harmonia Books, 2012)
* The Divine Vina and the Divine Monochord: Musical Cosmology from the Rg Veda to Robert Fludd. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Maryland, College Park
* Music columnist for Hinduism Today, 2000-2002. Articles on Pythagoras, time theory in Hindustani music, Dhrupad, Steve Gorn, Pt. Raghunath Seth, Dr. Vidyadhar Vyas
* CD Notes: Drimala Records, Water Lily Acoustics, India Archive Records, and others, 1999-present. Artists include Kadri Gopalnath, James Newton, Raghunath Seth, Ronu Majumdar, Larry Coryell, Dr. L. Subramaniam, John Wubbenhorst, Mark Weinstein
* “Ayur Veda, Samkhya and the Time Theory of Performance in Hindustani Classical Music.” Journal of Indian Philosophy and Religion, Vol. 3, October 1998. Also online at: (concealed information)
* “Universal Elements in Musical Cosmology.” Cosmos, Vol. 13, No. 2, June 1997
* Kadri Gopalnath, Saxophone Journal, May/June 1996
* Extensive. UK, USA, India. Details upon request
saxophone lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest flute lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, clarinet lessons for all!
Taking wind instruments lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|