I tailor all my lessons to each student's personal requirements, including speaking, reading and writing, grammar and pronunciation. I believe that it is very important to pay attention to all aspects of the language, but every student is unique and learns in a different way, that is why I first identify their strengths and focus my lessons around them. In my teaching approach I also believe that despite being hard work, learning language has to be entertaining and cover different spheres of Russian culture.
I am a highly experienced, professionally qualified, native and friendly tutor with over 25 years experience. I offer Russian Language tuition at all levels from beginners to advanced, one to one in person or via Skype. Achieve your language goals with thorough, but highly enjoyable lessons! Intensive courses also available. Can provide preparation for GCSE and A level (all my students achieved A & A*). I have BA in English Language and Literature and I am a professionally trained actress, which helps me to make my lessons interesting and entertaining! I have taught children of all ages. I have worked in the fields of corporate world and the arts in London, Moscow and LA.
Comments from some of my students:
'Whether it comes to elucidating grammar points or understanding nuances of words and sayings, Anna Barkan's teaching is unparalleled. She wears her immense knowledge of Russian language and culture lightly, and as a result I have learned the language more quickly than I could have imagined. Accept no substitutes.' - Aleksi, Hammersmith
'Anna is quite possibly one of the most dedicated, inspiring and lovely teachers you could ever hope to know.' - Laura, Putney
'I have been learning Russian with Anna for two years and I love the lessons.We cover thoroughly all areas of grammar, listening and speaking and discuss many interesting topics. Anna is always interesting and endlessly patient - a really lovely teacher.' - Jane T, Ealing.
My rates may vary depending on student's level, travel time/distance and frequency of lessons.
Place of birth: Moscow, Russia
• Diploma of Acting, Guildhall School of Music and Drama (1992 -1993), London, UK
• B. Shukin Drama School (Vakhtangov Theatre) (1989-1991), Moscow, Russia
• BA in English Language and Literature (1981 –1986) University of Teacher Training, Moscow, Russia
Teaching Russian and English languages
• students of all ages (children and adults)
• at all levels (beginners to advanced),
• individual and small groups
• from once a week to intensive courses
• Skype lessons
• corporate clients (Business Russian) and those interested in Russian culture
• over 25 years of teaching experience
2013 – present Freelance Tutor teaching Edexcel GCSE, GCE AS and A level Russian at Arts Educational Schools, London, UK
Russian language tuition
● Teaching Russian to native Russian speaking children (4 to 17 years old)
● Teaching Russian as a second/foreign language to children and adults ● Miss Nicole Kidman for the film ‘Birthday Girl’ dir.Jez Butterworth ● Ambassador of New Zealand in Russia Mr. Nightingale
● Royal Opera House Covent Garden Choir, London (‘The Enchantress’ conducted by Valeri Gergiev)
Corporate Client List Includes:
• The British Library
• The British Sound Archive
• McKenna and Co.
• Various Intelligence & Security Companies
• JP Morgan Bank
• Blackwatch Petroleum • Simmons & Simmons
• European Bank for Reconstruction & Development
• Bechtel Ltd
• Barings Bank
• Coca-Cola Co.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Teaching Drama in Russian and English (8 – 17 years old) as a part of The Drama Academy (London - Los Angeles - Moscow)
Technical translations and simultaneous, consecutive and conference interpreting in the fields of banking, oil and gas industry, metals, forensics, criminal law, family law, legal, intelligence, health & medicine, IT, film, television and theatre, media, history, sport, business, transport.
Translation from English into Russian of the audio interviews with Hollywood celebrities: Jarvier Bardem, Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Aniston, Jason Bateman, Michael Sera, Edgar Wright, Justin Timberlake, Jackie Chan, Bette Midler, Will Ferrell, Tina Fay, Tom McGrath, Sarah Jessica Parker.
Various radio interview transcriptions and translations for BBC and Deutsche Gramophone from Russian into English
Translation from Russian into English for FORBES Magazine
Screenplay translation from Russian into English “The Absolute Aggressor”
Simultaneous interpreting during rehearsals of ‘White Nights’ for a Russian director Sergei Osipian and the British cast, set & costume designer, lighting designer & stage manager, etc. (New End Theatre, London)
Simultaneous interpreting during rehearsals of ‘Darkness’ for a Russian director Galina Dubovskaya and the British cast, lighting designer & stage manager, etc. (Chelsea Centre Theatre, London)
Translation from English into Russian of a synopsis and treatment of a feature film RHAPSODY for Floyd Bradley (Film Producer, Prelude Pictures, London)
Translation from Russian into English of a feature film treatment ‘New York, I love You!’ (director Andrei Zvyagintsev)
Screenplay translation for feature film “Adventure” (director Yevgeny Serdyukovsky)
from Russian into English and simultaneous interpreting and translation during
filming and the ADR sessions in London.
Screenplay proofreading for Feature Film ‘Birthday Girl”, Film Four.
Literary translations from Russian into English include:
• Stage adaptation - ‘White Nights’ by F.Dostoyevsky for the New End Theatre, London
• Stage adaptation - ‘Darkness’ by L.Andreyev for Chelsea Centre Theatre, London
• Stage adaptation - “The Idiot” by F.Dostoyevsky
russian lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|