I think the best approach is a combination of exercises and practice tests with in depth feedback after each activity. I also think it's important to mostly work in time with what the student is learning at school and confirm their full understanding of that material, which is why I'm happy to look at homework and school-set essays.
I am a writer with lots of tutoring experience (over 20 students) and with different tutoring agencies. I graduated from Cambridge University in 2019 with a degree in English literature. I tutor English at all levels - two of my students are now at Oxford - and I tutor English, Maths, Verbal and Non Verbal Reasoning for the 11+ (with a 90% success rate!)
SCHOOL AND UNIVERSITY
2016 - 2019
• Cambridge University – Robinson College
- Graduated with a 2:1 in English Literature
• Performed in the Cambridge Festival of Ideas in March 2019 as part of English National Ballerina Erin
Whitcroft’s ‘live action choreography’, responding to Futurist manifestos and poems.
2009 - 2016
• The Tiffin Girls’ School
- A-level: A* in English and History; A in French
- AS level: A* in Latin
- A*s at GCSE in Maths iGCSE (taken early), English Language, English Literature, Latin, History, French (taken early)
- As at GCSE in Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Geography, Drama
- Diplôme d'Etudes en Langue Française (DELF) certification in 2015.
• December 2021 – present: tutor with Cressida Jauncey’s tutoring agency. With Cressida Jauncey, I’ve been tutoring a student for English literature iGCSE.
• October 2020 – present: tutor with Admissions Tutors. With Admissions Tutors, I’ve tutored students of all ages and abilities for the 11+ (maths, English, verbal reasoning and non-verbal reasoning) and for English Literature at all levels, including for A Level. (Reviews available on request!). I have total proficiency with Lessonspace and TutorCruncher.
• 2014 – 2019: Independently, and intermittently, I’ve tutored students from my school and surrounding schools, as well as family friends. I professionally tutored one student who is now at Emmanuel College, Cambridge; I helped him with his ELAT, and supervised his personal statement process. I also tutored two brothers into The Tiffin Boys’ School and one sister into Tiffin Girls’, so I’m extremely familiar with the requirements for the Surrey entrance exams!
• June 2020 – present: editor for the Consulate Section of Joyland Magazine. I select and edit short fiction for publishing on the Joyland website, under Michelle Lyn King.
• September 2019 – present: quarterly contributor to Bad Form Review, a literary magazine designed to elevate voices of colour.
• January – July 2018: copy-editor for playwright Nicky Allt’s upcoming novel.
• July 2017: shadowing scheme at CNBC, giving me experience at a financial news outlet and with the inevitably fast turnaround of business news.
• December 2016 – February 2017: worked with Doug Williamson FCA FCT to proofread exam papers set for the Association of Corporate Treasurers., which taught me extreme precision as well as how to work remotely and collaboratively.
• June – August 2016: internship at Print Quarterly, the leading international journal of printmaking.
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest english literature lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, creative writing lessons for all!
Taking 11+ school exam preparation lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£45||£40|