I have taught courses in writing and drama for various universities, colleges, and educational organisations, have eternal examined at masters level and hold an associate lectureship with Keele University. I also taught journalism, short-story writing and scriptwriting for the "Writers News" and "Writers Bureau" correspondence schools.
I am a freelance writer and lecturer who has published/broadcast stories, verse, drama, academic papers and writing articles in the UK, US, Canada and Europe.
My work has been published in the UK, USA, Europe and Canada since the seventies. There's a novel, ‘Necromantra’, published in 2005 by Immanion Press, and reissued in a revised second edition in 2015 - a radio play, ‘Virtual Grafix’, was produced by Minute Radio Drama and a short story, ‘ID’ was broadcast on BBC radio in 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11). The stories 'Last Scream of Carnage' and 'Fifteen Breaths' were published in US fantasy anthologies. A novelette, 'Blasphemer' came out from Damnation Press at the end of 2010, and another novel, 'The Shadow Cycles' was published in 2011. A collection of short stories and verse, ‘The Celt in the Machine’, and a collection of gothic monologues ‘Echoes out of Abaddon’ are available from Immanion.
* Professional writer and lecturer with extensive experience in both fields.
* Articles, fiction, drama and poetry published in the UK, USA, Canada and Europe.
* Innovative and creative teacher in writing, drama and literature at school, special needs, undergraduate, postgraduate and adult education levels.
* Flexible, accessible, client-centred approach.
* Able to communicate with and motivate a wide range of people.
* Publicity and press liaison skills.
* Period as tutor for "Writers Bureau" and "Writers News", two of the foremost correspondence writing schools in the country.
* Judge first poetry competition of the National Blind Writers Association.
* Regular adjudicator of Keele University Drama Society One-Act Play Festival competition.
* Awarded associate lectureship by Keele University in recognition of services to the Department of Adult and Continuing Education.
* Tenure as editor of Cassandra Newsletter, organ of national writers' network.
* Advisor to Social Services in the establishing of creative writing learning initiatives for house and hospital-bound clients. (Report of pilot project published in "Writers in Education" magazine.)
* Awarded membership of the Writers' Guild of Great Britain, largest professional writers' association in the country.
* Rhysling poetry award nominee 2000.
* Awarded script development grant from PAWS (Public Awareness of Science) Drama Fund, 2003.
* Shortlisted for Radio Three crime-writing competition, 2003.
* Artistic Consultant to 'Spirit of Etruria Cafe Theatre'.
* External Examiner for Loughborough University's MA in Creative Writing 2008-1010.
* Hyrkanian essay award nominee 2011.
* The novel ‘Necromantra’ taught as part of ‘Stoke-in-Print’ public access course facilitated by Keele University.
* National Association of Writers in Education.
* Writers' Guild of Great Britain (former).
* Association of University Teachers(former).
* Authors’ Licensing and Collecting Society.
* W.E.A. adult education tutors' training conference (1988).
* Art Link art-workers' training weekend in disability awareness (2-3/3/91).
* Art Link intensive seven-day artists' training programme covering various aspects of freelance art-working (4/3/92-4/4/92).
* Keele University Staff Development:
- teaching skills for session teaching (9/4/03).
- working with large classes: managing classroom dynamics (13/1/05).
- working with conflict and disagreement (8/5/07).
* Loughborough University online Information Security Awareness course (16/3/16).
2012 - 2018 LOUGHBOROUGH UNIVERSITY - PhD in Creative Writing University
2010 - SEDA Certificate in External Examining
1993 - 1995 UNIVERSITY COLLEGE BRETTON HALL - MA in Creative Writing
1979 - 1982 CREWE & ALSAGER COLLEGE OF H.E. – B.A. (hons) Combined Studies in Creative Arts, specialising in Creative Writing, English and Drama.
May 1995 - "A Conference on Writing" Manchester Metropolitan University - Crewe & Alsager Faculty.
November 1995 - "Creative Writing & Popular Culture" Bath College of Higher Education.
January 1998 - "Creative Writing & Higher Education" University of Wales, Bangor.
March 1999 - "Creative Writing: Extending the Professional Writer" Sheffield Hallam University.
October 2004 - "Writing Aloud: Voice and the Writer" York St John, College of the University of Leeds.
June 2006 - "Working Across Art-Forms" University of Leicester.
November 2013 – “Adaptation and the Novel” Keele University.
June 2016 – "Out of Practice" (Creative Practice in PhD research) Birmingham University
creative writing lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£20||Not available|