I am very flexible as a teacher and don't stick to a prescribed text. I can easily ascertain the issues you have learning English and can you give you the skills required to improve in pronunciation, spelling, reading and writing, and listening. My focus is on you being able to use what you learn with me in the real world not just in the classroom.
20 year's teaching EFL abroad and with an MA in TESOL. Familiar with most issues nationalities have when learning English i.e. pronunciation and L1 interference. I teach English for Academic Purposes, IELTS, Business and General English and English for specific purposes. Students have always given positive feedback with high success rates in IELTS and Cambridge exams.
If you miss more than a certain number of classes in a certain period then you will pay for the class. This will be negotiated. You will not pay if you miss one class unless you have only booked one class.
You will pay for any books or materials you need.
I am a very experienced and friendly teacher who has had a great success rate meeting students' needs over the last 20 years.
• CertIBET (Business Certificate) inc. cultural awareness module E-Consultancy April 2015
• MA TESOL (Merit) Sheffield Hallam University Sept 2011
• IELTS Examiner The British Council, Dubai 2009
• TESOL Trinity Licentiate Diploma in
English Language Teaching (distinction in two parts) The British Council, Madrid 2005
• Cambridge RSA/UCLES CELTA Basil Paterson Edinburgh Aug 1997
• BSc (Soc Sci) main subjects psychology and linguistics University of Edinburgh 1983
Edinburgh College Start date to be confirmed
Mackenzie School of English July 1st – July 28th 2018
Director of Studies (Residential)
• Effectively managed the Academic team including the monitoring of teachers’ performances through informal and formal observations, assisting with lesson plans, covering classes, conducting appraisals and managing teachers’ expectations
in a challenging academic environment.
• Organised placement tests and the efficient placing of students in classes based on safeguarding, placement test marks, nationality and gender.
• Conducted weekly CPD meetings.
• Ensured excellent communication with teachers, students, group leaders and the other members of the management team to ensure the smooth running of the courses.
• Ensured the emotional and physical welfare of both teachers and students.
• Proficient Excel/Word skills.
• Kept accurate records of registers, timetables, student reports, feedback etc.
• Was able to cope under pressure and always met deadlines.
• Excellent appraisal from line manager.
BRITISH COUNCIL, DUBAI, UAE May 2008 – May 2018
Teacher of English
• EAP: taught academic writing in essay and report writing (scaffolding of writing, thesis statement, topic sentences, supporting statements etc.); presentation skills; note taking while listening to (recorded) lectures; reading skills (skimming scanning, reading for detail) and speaking skills. Cultural awareness of U.K. academic standards and how these may differ from students own academic culture. Expanded more in supporting statement.
• Created and delivered IELTS preparation courses.
• Worked as an IELTS examiner.
• Prepared low level school leavers/young adults for IELTS.
• Taught adult general and business English classes from beginner (A0) to upper intermediate (B2) level.
• Designed and delivered bespoke Business training/classes.
• Level and diagnostic testing of students.
• Counselled students.
• Conducted Teacher Training: for school teachers for the UAE school improvement schemes.
• Conducted INSETT sessions.
• Line managed and conducted teacher observations.
• Taught general English to Young Learners (11-16 years).
• Use of interactive whiteboards in class.
To gain a broader knowledge of my organization and add to my knowledge and skill set I also took on other roles allowing me to work with other departments within the British Council whilst working as a Teacher of English. This allowed me to demonstrate my transferable skills. The roles were as follows:
• Liaised with the UK/UAE Marketing and Arts team and ensured students and teachers were aware of, and bought into the Arts programme. Promoted the WNO, Macbeth among others, demonstrating how I can create shared purpose within an organization.
August 2013 to May 2018
• Led on introducing an English counselling service as I was aware students’ individual needs were not always being met in class. This was a service provided for students where I advised on how to improve any aspect of learning English. I advised on skills, grammar, IELTS preparation, pronunciation and learner autonomy.
• Global Video Coordinator December 2013 to January 2014
This was a part time post where I taught 50% of the time and worked as the GVC 50%:
o Created a database of all teaching/training videos worldwide. I had to familiarize myself with the organizational structure of our global company to ensure I found the correct team, teams or individuals in each region or country responsible for the video provision.
o Worked in a globally dispersed team in a newly created role which meant working with ambiguity and working autonomously and using initiative.
o Had to develop remote and face-to-face relationships with global stake holders.
o Researched video provision and edited materials to put on BC Teaching English website.
o Position required international travel to meet with team.
• ELTPN coordinator March 2012 – September 2012
o Worked with local teachers, businesses and the Ministry of Education.
o Organised and hosted workshops for external presenters.
o Developed and delivered workshops.
o Developed material and delivered TESOL Arabia training sessions for British Council delegates attending the conference.
o Researched materials online for British Council newsletter.
• Teachers’ Representative July 2012 – July 2014
o Mediated between teachers and management.
o Negotiated with both teachers and management to find a suitable solution to any conflict.
o Delivered unfavorable news to teachers from management in a manner that allowed them to understand and accept the situation.
o Set up a global forum for teachers’ representatives.
o Represented teachers who were disciplined.
o Developed a teachers’ only mailing list stopping unnecessary emails to other members of staff.
• Training Experience throughout 2008 - 2018
o Delivered training to both teachers and school children (teenagers) on the Taqaddam project. This is a project which trains students in life skills in the UAE.
o Delivered Train the Trainer workshops to teacher trainers and teachers in local schools.
o Delivered business writing workshops to various companies including Mashreq Bank in the UAE.
o Organised training schedules for teachers.
o Delivered internal training to fellow teachers.
o Trained new teachers to British Council as part of induction in Inter-cultural awareness.
o Trained new teachers for IELTS preparatory courses.
• EDI committee
o Involved in Time to Talk initiative
BRITISH COUNCIL, DUBAI, UAE June 2006 – Aug 2006/June 2007 – Aug 2007
Summer School Teacher of English
• Taught low level IELTS to school leavers throughout summer school.
• Taught adult general English classes from beginner to upper Intermediate level.
• Taught business English.
BRITISH COUNCIL ADULT CENTRE, MADRID, SPAIN October 2003 – March 2008
Teacher of English
• Taught IELTS, FCE and CAE exam preparation classes.
• Taught adult general English classes from elementary (A1) to proficiency (C1) level.
• Counselled sessions for students.
• Taught Computer Skills classes for students.
NATIONAL POLICE OF SPAIN, MADRID October 2005 – March 2008
Teacher of English (Part-Time)
• Negotiated content, designed and delivered courses for elementary to upper-intermediate levels.
• Designed and delivered exams for elementary to upper-intermediate levels.
• Delivered on-line distance learning courses and feedback to students around Spain who were unable to attend
BUSINESS ENGLISH CLASSES October 2005 to March 2008
• PricewaterhouseCoopers, Madrid, Spain designed and delivered English classes.
• Bassat Ogilvy, Madrid, Spain designed and delivered English classes to Creative Director.
COMUNIDAD DE MADRID, MADRID, SPAIN May 2004 – Aug 2004
Teacher of English (Part-Time)
• Trained primary school teachers in state schools to enable them to teach in English in the coming academic year.
• Assisted, motivated and counselled the lowest level teachers through a project for submission to the Board of Teachers.
VILLANEUVA UNIVERSITY, MADRID, SPAIN October 2002 – May 2003
Teacher of English (Part-Time)
• Taught EAP.
SUMMARY OF WORK EXPERIENCE PRIOR TO 1999: More information on request.
• Worked at the English Centre, Madrid and taught PET, FCE, CAE and CPE classes.
• Worked at Shane English School, Tokyo teaching general English to young learners and adults.
• Director of Quadrille video Duplication Ltd, Edinburgh. My role was marketing and advertising.
• Partner in Lamplighter Productions, Edinburgh I acted as Production Manager where I
looked after budgets, liaised with clients and actors, booked hotels amongst other duties.
• Psychology technician at Napier University, Edinburgh.
• Advanced level Spanish speaking and reading skills: Intermediate level writing skills.
I was fortunate enough to work with Shona for a number of years, and I learnt a lot from her about making sure the student is the focus of the lesson. She manages to bring humour into the classroom, and lessons with her is a not just a learning experience, it is fun. She is skilled in teaching groups and individuals, and I wholeheartedly recommend her!
Shona is one of the most dedicated and knowledgable teachers I've worked alongside. She was always sensitive to her students' needs and really cared (something which is not always a given). Along with the fact that she's worked with students from so many backgrounds around the world and continued to develop her skills and knowledge makes her a great choice.
Shona is an excellent teacher, she was my line manager for a couple of years and really helped with my development.
esol (english) lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest written comprehension - english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral comprehension - english lessons for all!
Taking business english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£40||Not available|
|5 hours||Not available||£175||Not available|
|10 hours||Not available||£300||Not available|