Teach English as a Foreign Language & English GCSE to native speakers.
Provide tuition for children & adults from all over the world - academic, general, conversational, business English.
Lessons structure around SMART objectives using individualised feedback (tailored to your work), everyday, realistic, fun and student centred resources & interactive media.
20 years + experience
Taught hundreds of adult & child learners - Cambridge Young Learners, KET, PET, FCE, CAE, CPE, IELTS, TOEFL, business, conversational, beginners English. English GCSE, ESOL literacy L2
As I know the Cambridge assessment criteria and also the English GCSE and ESOL literacy criteria well, I have moved students from one level to the next, for e.g. B1 (pre int) - B2 (Intermediate) for EFL learners, and GCSE English from Level 3-7 simply by targeting the work and by knowing exactly what is required.
Charges are between £27-32 per hour. I usually suggest more than 1 hour sessions (i.e. 1 hr 15 -30 mins). If I have to travel to you I add on some travel time so the longer sessions work out more cost effective for you. I also do interactive sessions online which works well within the C19 situation. These are equally interactive and are usually the same cost as a lot of preparation goes into online sessions also.
The 5 hour and 10 hour discounts above are an example of how a discount applies based on a £30 per hour session. Usually 10% on 5 lessons and 12% on 10 block booking in advance.
I am a native English, CELTA trained teacher of English as a foreign language with over 20 years’ experience of face to face and online learning. I have a range of experience working with learners from different countries, backgrounds and ages and have worked on a variety of educational projects, all aimed at growing and enabling learners to move to their next step in life.
I teach conversational, general, business & academic English. I have extensive experience of examining for Cambridge’s English Language Suite covering A1 – C2 levels on the CEFR. I also teach GCSE English and Skills for Life Literacy up to level 2.
I have experience of CEFR linking to EFL qualifications alongside many years of teacher training so can transfer this well into my practice.
I also have a PGCE and MA study covering student centred methodology, curriculum design, the impact of technology on English, functional grammar, communicative language teaching, world Englishes and systemic functional linguistics, alongside modules in leadership, change management and school improvement.
Private tuition: English GCSE, ESOL literacy L2, FCE (B2) Cambridge, PET (B1) Cambridge
Central Bedfordshire College, Dunstable, UK IELTS trainer & ESOL teacher June – December 2013
ESOL teacher under International English Language Studies department.
• Designed and delivered IELTS preparatory courses for pre degree and PHD entry learners
• Implemented strategies to raise levels from 4.5 – 6.5+ (IELTS scale) particularly specialising in writing & speaking components
ETI, Tbilisi, Georgia English Teacher & Teacher Trainer September 2010 – June 2012
EFL teacher & teacher trainer.
• Taught General English, Academic English & Business English covering young learners – proficiency covering CEF A1-C2.
• Prepared learners for Cambridge English YLE, KET, PET, FCE, CAE, CPE
• Assisted in the preparation of Cambridge centre application for Georgia, Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan centres
• Delivered teacher training throughout Georgian & Azerbaijan branches
• Developed materials for all tutor access from CEF A1 – C1 including online materials, student forum, facebook and twitter uploads, wikiispace, as part of ETI’s learning space and blended learning programmes
• Led the start of a CEF realignment materials project for general, academic and business English in-house materials to the CEF ensuring the standardisation of levels throughout
• Assisted in teacher development through observation of teaching and learning – peer observation
International Black Sea University, Tbilisi, Georgia, English Teacher & Teacher Trainer, October 2011 –
EFL teacher & teacher trainer.
• Prepared learners for faculty entry
• Developed learning packages for pre-faculty learners • Delivered teacher training to Georgian & Azerbaijan network schools / universities
British Council, Tbilisi, Georgia English Teacher & Teacher Trainer October 2011 – June 2012
EFL teacher & teacher trainer.
• Designed and delivered sessions – advanced level to journalists co-funded by BC and BP • Prepared assessments
• Delivered teacher training courses to teachers of YLE, KET & PET programmes
North Yorkshire County Council, UK ESOL Tutor & Teacher Trainer May 2001 – June 2010
ESOL teacher under Adult Learning Service delivering accredited and non-accredited ESOL classes in the community.
• Delivered initial, diagnostic & formative assessments
• Planned & delivering sessions
• Prepared & implementing Individual Learning Plans
• Assessed learners
• Developed materials for a wide range of learners – pre entry – level 1
• Administered exam sessions
Freelance - various, UK EFL Teacher September 1995 – December 2000
York Associates (concealed information)
English in York (concealed information)
Specialist Language Services (concealed information)
University College of York St John (concealed information)
MoE, Catterick Garrison, Gurkha Language School
Designed and delivered tailor-made general, business, academic, job specific English courses to international learners, business executives and the military sector. Alongside working with general and academic English learners, client portfolio includes:
Volkswagen, Goldwell, Audi, BASF, Merc, ABB, Dubia Ports Authority, Omani Air Force, Telia, Ericcson, Ernst & Young, Norwegian Parliament, Daimler-Chrysler, BP Amoco, Nokia, Total Fina, Ministry of Economics – Uzbekistan, Biersdorf, Swedish Post, NCR France, Nestle UK, Novo Nordisk, GlaxoSmithKline, IKEA, SAP, Omani Ministry of Education, Ministry of Defence – Slovenia, Slovakia, Estonia, Georgia, Uzbekistan
Arvaniti School of English, Agrinio, Greece EFL Teacher September 1994 – June 1995
• Taught General English, Academic English & Business English covering young learners – proficiency covering CEF A1-C2
• Developed materials from A1 – C1
• Prepared learners for Cambridge English PET, FCE, CAE, CPE
EDUCATION - QUALIFICATIONS
SVUK - Standard Verification UK October 2008
• PGCE under professional recognition – Lifelong learning Sector
Open University, Faculty of Education 2006
• Post Graduate Certificate in Professional Studies in Education – Educational Management, Action Research, Lifelong Learning, Applied Linguistics
National Open College Network – University of Derby 2000
• (LETTOL) Learning to Train Online - 4 NOCN credits at level 3
Leeds Metropolitan University 1994
• RSA Cert TEFLA
Leeds University, Trinity & All Saints College 1991
• BA Hons – Theology & Public Media
St Mary’s RC High School 1988
• Religious Studies, Theatre Studies, History – A level
INTERESTS & THINGS I ENJOY
People, developing countries, culture, education, singing, leadership, change management, yoga, travel, children, guitar, dancing
esol (english) lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest IELTS lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, EFL lessons for all!
Taking british english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|