My teaching methodology is to ensure understanding and knowledge is shared using practical examples and real-word scenarios that help students contextualise accounting theory. These practical examples are areas that I have come across during my extensive working experiences to date.
I am a UK Tax & Reporting Manager with over 9 years of experience in studying and practicing accountancy. During this time, I have successfully completed the ACA qualification with the ICAEW and worked in international firm of chartered accountants.
Education and Qualifications
2013- 2016 ICAEW
ACA: 15 Exams Successfully Completed- ACA Qualified
2009- 2013 University of Leeds
BSc Accountancy & Finance (Industrial): Class II Division I
2007- 2009 Dixons City Academy, Bradford
3 A- Levels: Maths (B), ICT (B), BTEC Business (DIST)
June 2019- Present UK Corporate Tax Manager at Virgin Media UK
Joining this consumer telecommunications business, the market leader in fibre broadband, is a significant career move within a well-established tax team at a recognised household name.
The UK tax compliance team manage the Virgin Media group tax affairs in the UK and Republic of Ireland including tax compliance, transfer pricing & tax reporting under international accounting standards, and ensuring filing of tax returns with HMRC and the Irish Revenue Authority.
My responsibilities include preparing UK tax figures for inclusion in consolidated quarterly provisioning under US GAAP, and UK consolidated and single entity statutory accounts under IFRS. I am also responsible for managing the withholding taxes process on funding streams, by liaising with external funding providers, filing tax returns & withholding tax exemption certificates.
My role is to ensure all UK group tax returns are prepared and filed on an accurate and timely basis whilst ensuring all aspects of corporation tax at consolidated UK group and single entity level are executed effectively. The UK group credentials from a corporate tax perspective are typically complex for a business of this size, funding and investor structure.
Given the evolving tax landscape and increasing focus on tax governance and reporting requirements in the UK, I am also involved in tax risk and governance projects in the UK including the Senior Accounting Officer regime amongst other governance areas. I am also responsible for coordinating worldwide country-by-country reporting notification requirements for the global group.
I also manage global initiatives such as country-by-country reporting (CBCR) notifications for all territories across the global group to ensure that each tax jurisdiction complies with OECD CBCR rules.
An interesting area of focus for the business is continuous process improvements using emerging technologies to ensure efficiency and effective ways of working.
Jan 2018- May 2019 UK Tax & Reporting Manger at Lowell
• My first move away from practice into industry at the UK's largest collections business and a market leading UK group, critically acclaimed with several awards and accreditations in the debt management industry, has given me true insight into a highly regulated industry and financial services business.
• This role covers the management of Lowell UK group tax affairs which includes all aspects of tax compliance and tax reporting under internationally recognised accounting standards, and covers UK taxes such as corporate tax, VAT and PAYE settlement agreements.
• My role consists of a variety UK tax compliance and reporting aspects, including preparing UK tax figures for inclusion in group management accounts, budgets & forecasting and investor reporting. The role also includes assessing and managing tax risk and governance in the UK.
• My responsibilities also include ensuring all UK group tax returns are filed on accurate and timely basis whilst ensuring all aspects of corporation tax at UK group and single entity level are executed in an optimal manner. This role also requires group compliance from an indirect tax perspective by managing the regular VAT compliance cycle, and providing UK tax analysis to the board and investors on the impact of M&A activity, transactions and group restructuring
Sept 2013- Dec 2017 Consultant, Corporate Tax at Deloitte
• This role was within the Tax Service Line, and my work specifically was in Corporate Tax. The scope of my work and the range of clients was extensive, covering technical planning for large multinationals through to standard compliance for small-to-medium enterprises.
• My role consisted of a variety of different technical aspects, including preparing tax computations and corporation tax payment calculations, determining an entities tax accrual & deferred tax position for statutory reporting, participation in external audit engagements as a tax audit specialist, acting as tax agent on communications with HM Revenue & Customs, and determining accurate tax treatment on sensitive transactions using corporation tax legislation.
• Alongside my core role, I completed the ACA qualification with the ICAEW. This prestigious qualification required successful completion of 15 examinations, ethics training and 3 years technical work experience which are necessary to qualify as a Chartered Accountant.
• Beyond my primary role, I was appointed a school governor at a local Primary School, currently the IT user group lead for Deloitte North East Business Tax, been part of a successful Deloitte High-School partnership programme specifically focusing on the Micro Tyco project, and led various graduate recruitment events at Universities.
Feb 2013- Aug 2013 Staff Accountant at Doability.co.uk
• This role was the sole accountant for an online retailer of disability related products.
• My main tasks included managing and reporting financial figures and statistics to the CEO. My role developed into creating costing profiles for the extensive product portfolio, and creating budgets for profit management and boardroom level analysis.
• This role provided a great base for understanding of the FMCG industry, and in particular the documentation required for tax and audit purposes.
Perfect! Very helpful. Came prepared and the lessons were well structured. Thank you!
Maria has successfully completed the majority of the ACCA exams showing her level of commitment and intelligence. She is always well prepared, punctual, and asks useful and relevant questions.
Keep working hard Maria and you will certainly achieve the ACAA qualification.
Perfect! My son had several lessons with Qasim for the ICEAW Assurance exam. He got allot of value from them. Qasim started with a clear revision plan and areas to focus on for the exam. It all went to plan with a successful outcome. Would highly recommend Qasim and no doubt will be using his services again.
Continue excelling in your studies
Perfect! Qasim is a fantastic teacher, and very patient. Good teaching style, and available when needed for extra tuition. Could not recommend enough.
Adam is a very quick and willing learner, tries to understand the context and purpose behind accounting rules and applies them very well. Very fun and easy to work with - a great student!
Perfect! Qasim helped me with ACA FAR exam. He was an extremely patient and helpful tutor. Definitely would recommend.
Annie is a dedicated, intelligent and very hard working student who was a joy to tutor. She was punctual, communicated questions clearly and asked insightful and useful questions.
Keep working hard Annie and you will certainly achieve the prestigious ACA qualification with the ICAEW.
Qasim really helped me pass my certificate and professional exams for ICAEW. He is very knowledgeable and patient which encourages me whilst studying. His learning method is to work through the question bank with you to prepare you for the exam and to make you confident and able. He is honest with your level and gives good advice as to when you should take the exam. I would highly recommend Qasim as a tutor.
accounting lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest finance lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, marketing lessons for all!
Taking tax system lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|