Chemistry is a fascinating study. If you want to consider it for your further education, maybe applying to University, you should consider taking Chemistry for your GCSEs and A-Levels. Or if you’re not sure that chemistry is the right subject for you, you can take summer courses or seek counselling from professors at a university to discuss your higher education.

So what are your options when you want to study chemistry in London?

Chemistry at School: Preparing for your GCSEs and A-Levels

With good marks in chemistry at school, you can apply to top universities and even qualify for scholarships. Finding a good tutoring programme can sometimes mean passing your GCSEs or getting a good grade on your A-Levels. So what are some ways you can improve your chances of getting into an undergraduate programme at top UK universities, such as the Chemistry courses in Manchester University?

Chemistry courses at GCSE and IGCSE level

When studying for your GCSEs, you can profit from extra courses - and, of course, there are the usual GCSE Chemistry courses available. In London, you have a fair amount of choice. Here are a few of the institutions that offer opportunities in the capital city:

  • David Game College offers a GCSE chemical course including atomic structure, formulae, reactivity series of metals, organic chemistry and rates of reaction. It includes two written papers.
  • Ashbourne offers chemistry as an optional subject in addition to their five core subjects: Maths, Science, English (language and literature) and a foreign language. It is part of their Science Double Awards programme. They also offer an Easter Revision Course in Science.
  • HillCrest Revision Courses offer just that - revision courses to help you with your GCSE chemistry courses. They have Easter, half-term and Saturday revision lessons in London, Brighton and Canterbury.
  • Mander Portman Woodward lets you do your GCSEs with them, including Chemistry, and also offers revision classes.
  • London Brookes College also offers a one-year GCSE programme, including for GCSE retakes.
  • North London Tutorial College offers fast-track courses for GCSE.

You can get a good physics and chemistry tutor on Superprof.

Chemistry classes in London.
Need revision lessons for chemistry courses? London chemistry classes can help. Photo credit: thebarrowboy on Visual Hunt

Chemistry courses for A-Levels

A lot of the same places that offer courses for GCSEs also offer tutors or lessons for A-Levels.

This includes:

  • Dave Game College
  • London Brookes College has a two-year A-Level program in chemistry
  • MPW has a two-year and a one-year A-Level course as well as several retake programmes.
  • Ashbourne offers Chemistry A-Level courses as well.
  • Kingston College offers a two-level study course for Chemistry, including three exam papers.
  • If you are just looking for revision, HillCrest also offers half-term and Easter revision for A-Levels in Chemistry.

Finding Summer Courses in a London School

Summer schools are a wonderful way to experience Chemistry and see if that’s what you really want to study. Some schools offer lower-grade level summer camps for children. The Academic Summer has courses in Chemistry. Concord College has Active Science courses for ages 13-17 and Natural Sciences for 16-18 year-olds, both of which include chemistry. LITERegal offers chemistry summer classes for ages 13-15 and 15-18 year-olds.

Get information on Chemistry tuition online.

London practical chemistry courses.
Start learning chemistry lab protocols at GCSE or A-level. Photo credit: NTNU, Faculty of Natural Sciences on Visualhunt

For older students, several London universities offer high-level camps that also let you get a feeling for campus life. King’s College has a week-long Chemistry programme for year 12; Imperial College has summer schools for year 9 that include chemistry.

See what adult learning chemistry courses Birmingham has to offer.

Learning Chemistry at London Universities

If you want to continue with chemistry at a UK university, you can, of course, look for accommodation in Warwick, Edinburgh, Cambridge or Oxford. However, London has a number of ranking universities offering courses in chemistry. As a prospective student, it’s not always easy to decide where to go. Here are a few things you can look into when trying to choose the right university for you in the London metropolitan area:

  • Tuition fee - though be warned that, while there are variations, tuition tends to be quite similar in the same area.
  • Faculties and their offer: what kind of chemistry are you interested in? If you know what you want to do later, you can try for universities and colleges that offer your speciality as an undergraduate degree; if you’re not sure yet, you can take a general Chemistry Bachelor’s and specialise for your Master's or doctorate.
  • Research project: what do the teachers at the university specialise in, what specialised research projects might you be able to participate in as an undergraduate or graduate student?
  • Interdisciplinary offers: Does the university offer any interdisciplinary courses, such as Chemistry and Medicine or the application of chemistry to the creative arts?
  • Do they offer postgraduate courses or will you need to continue your education elsewhere?
Chemistry courses in London Universities.
Many London universities offer chemistry degrees. Photo on VisualHunt

General Chemistry Courses at a London University

When looking for your prospective campuses, here are a few London colleges that offer general chemistry at an undergraduate level. Most have tuition of £9,250 per annum and last for 3 years, culminating in a Bachelor:

Queen Mary University£9,2503 years
University of East London£9,2503 years
Kingston University£9,250Offers a 4-year programme with sandwich year in addition to the 3-year programme.
London Metropolitan University£9,250also offers a 4-year course part-time
University College£9,250has a 4-year full-time programme rather than a 3-year one to an undergraduate degree

King’s College also has a 4-year programme, however, you will be graduating with a Master of Science rather than a Bachelor’s.

Queen Mary, Imperial and King’s College all offer programmes with industry tie-ins or professional placement, partnering with firms to allow you to get professional experience before graduating.

Specialised Chemistry at Universities in London

Undergraduates who know what they want can specialise in the following aspects of chemistry at a London college:

  • Analytical Chemistry - used for anything from jet-engine engineering to archaeology - is offered by Birkbeck for a one- or two-year Master’s degree, or as a postgraduate diploma; also by University College London (Master’s).
  • Biochemistry is offered by Queen Mary University (Master’s; also with a year abroad), Kingston University (Bachelor’s), the University of East London (Bachelor’s with a foundation year - perfect if you don’t have the usual qualifications), King’s College
  • Pharmaceutical Chemistry / Medicinal Chemistry is offered by University College, Kingston University, Queen Mary University, the University of Greenwich (as a Foundation Degree in Science over two years) and Middlesex University.

In addition, if you’re all afire for CSI work, Kingston University offers degrees in Forensic Science - or learn Forensic Investigation and other chemistry classes in Glasgow.

Chemistry lessons in London.
You might want to see if your chemistry courses are accredited by the Royal Society of Chemistry. Photo credit: Nick D-J on

Learning Chemistry with a Private Tutor

Because chemistry requires a lab, it’s difficult to find a private tutor who will teach you chemistry in all its aspects. If you are very lucky, your tutor will have a home lab where you can visit or be able to rent space for his or her chemistry lessons at a school lab or college lab.

However, a private tutor can help with the basics - learning formulae and equations, everything you need to know about the periodic table of elements and transition metals. When it comes to theory, a private tutor is ideal. He or she can come to your home or offer a seminar online through Skype, can adapt to your schedule and work on what you need to practise and perfect.

A private tutor may not be what you need to get a job in the field of chemistry, but they can help you master your undergraduate or postgraduate courses and improve your grades while studying for GCSEs or A-Levels.

Here at Superprof, we have over 700 tutors in the London area offering rates ranging from £10 to £120 an hour (but averaging about £23). Most will even offer their first lesson for free!

Or you can post at one of the universities mentioned above to see if a graduate or undergraduate student is willing to make a few extra pounds by tutoring someone else. There are many ways to learn Chemistry UK! And other cities offer a great curriculum, cities with great universities such as Leeds.

Need a Chemistry teacher?

Did you like this article?

5.00/5 - 1 vote(s)


Sonia is an Egyptologist turned writer and translator. She speaks 3 and a half languages, can translate hieroglyphs and enjoys yoga, singing, embroidery and travelling through all of time and space.