"Behind every successful woman is a fabulous handbag." -Unknown
Coach. Louis Vuitton. Marc Jacobs. Michael Kors. Gucci. Kate Spade. Chanel. What do all of these brands have in common? They make some of the most exquisite handbags on the planet.
No matter the age, race, or culture, every woman seems to go crazy for designer handbags. Though they sometimes cost as much as a small vehicle, bags make women feel powerful and utterly successful. A delightful and beautiful purse must be by their side to become a sensation at whatever they endeavour to do.
Nonetheless, what if you don't have enough quid to purchase a fashionable purse or bag? Well, there is good news for those who are more crafty. Why's that? Plenty of handbag patterns can be utilised to sew your custom handbag that will make others jealous.
So, without further delay, in today's article, we shall look at how handbags can be sewn by putting into practice the steps of some sewing patterns. Let's get designing!
Why Learn to Sew a Handbag?
Since there are so many things that can be sewn and created in fashionable clothing pieces, you might wonder why learn to sew a handbag? Well, as we have briefly mentioned in the introduction of this article, purses or handbags make a statement while, at the same time, helping women to feel more confident about themselves. However, is that the only reason you should try and learn how to sew a handbag? Not necessarily.
The list below highlights three brilliant reasons why you should dedicate time to acquiring the fundamentals of how to sew a handbag:
- It's Cost-Effective: do you wish you had the latest designer handbags but don't have the budget to buy them? If so, you need not worry since there is a solution. Such as? Sewing your own. By purchasing similar fabrics with the colours that match your favourite designer purses, you can stitch together a near replica for a fraction of the cost!
- You Feel a Sense of Pride: one of the most significant motives to sew your handbags or purses is the sense of pride that you feel after you have completed one or two. In the beginning, it might not be easy, but a sense of accomplishment will keep you going to create bags that match your style.
- Practice New Sewing Techniques: if you're learning to sew to become a fashion designer, you might as well try as many new sewing techniques as possible, and that includes piecing together a purse on your sewing machine. It's a widely known fact that the more you practice, the better you'll become.
So, are you convinced yet? Do you want to start sewing your handbags? If so, you're making an excellent decision. Your friends and family members will most likely complement your unique creations, which will motivate you to continue trying new things with your sewing machine. You won't feel left out anymore by the fact that you can't afford expensive handbags from the world's top designers.
But, what sewing tools are needed to sew handbags and purses from home? Take a look at the following subheading to find out more.
Necessary Sewing Tools to Create Handbags
Before you can start creating your bags and purses, it's important to state that there are a few items that you need to purchase. Such as? The list below mentions sewing kit essentials that can help you sew the perfect handbag:
- Iron and pressing mat.
- Pins and pincushions.
- Shears that have bent handles,
- Scissors with straight handles,
- Needles for machine and handwork.
- Marking tools such as clothing chalk, water-soluble markers, and a silver pencil,
- Seam ripper,
- Rotary cutter,
- A sewing machine.
Also, if you're a beginner who wants to try different sewing patterns before making handbags and purses, we recommend buying a lot of fabric to practice with. Ask a friend who has experience sewing handbags or a trusted tutor about any additional tools they might have purchased for their essential stitching kit.
Different Types of Handbags to Sew
If you have few bags, you quickly recognise that many handbags can be purchased at department stores and boutiques across the UK. Similarly, many bag styles can be sewn. Such as? The following is a brief list of the type of bags that may be created by fashion designers in training:
- Hobo bag,
- Tote bag,
- Duffle bag,
- Messenger bag,
- Doctor’s bag,
- Laptop Bag,
- Bucket bag,
- Bowler bag,
- Beach Bag,
- Shoulder bag,
- Shopping/Grocery bag,
- Drawstring bag,
- Makeup bags,
- Foldover Bags,
- Phone bag,
- Camera case bags,
- Baguette bags,
- Barrel Bag,
- Basket Bag,
- Fanny Pack,
- Kelly Bag,
- Lunch Bags.
While you've probably heard about most of the previously mentioned types of bags, some are insanely unique. Nonetheless, if it's been once made by a fashion designer, you can learn to sew it too! There are plenty of templates and instruction guides online that teach amateur sewists how to stitch together a bag; take a look at the following subheading to find out more!
Learning to Sew: Purse and Bag Patterns
Thanks to the ever-inspiring internet, there are constantly ideas about bag and purse patterns. Some craft websites dedicate all their content to sewing and templates made by persons in their homes.
For example, one of the best craft & sewing sites, The Spruce Crafts, has 25 different handbag designs that can be followed and created by amateur sewists. The list below states all the purse patterns available to sew:
- Easy Felt Totebag,
- Flying Geese Patchwork Cinch Sack,
- Jumbo Tote with Striped Pockets,
- DIY Diaper Bag,
- Little Girl's Patchwork Purse,
- Reusable Grocery Bag,
- Beach Bag with Rope Handles,
- Mini Quilted Suitcase,
- Fabric Basket-Style Purse,
- Laminated Ruffle Duffle Bag,
- Pleated Zipper Clutch Purse,
- Easy Oversized Bow Tote,
- DIY Messenger Bag,
The previously mentioned list features only about half of the 25 designs that the experts at The Spruce Crafts have found for beginner sewists. Most of the tutorials have various pictures to follow the design and recreate the bag's look perfectly.
Hiring a Sewing Tutor to Learn How to Sew and Design a Handbag
Did you look at the handbag sewing guides mentioned above and still feel confused about what you should be doing? Do your sewing skills thrive when you are being guided by a professional? If so, you should quickly enlist the help of a private tutor who can help you create the handmade purse of your dreams!
By hiring a private sewing tutor that conducts online or in-person training sessions, you are guaranteeing the following learning advantages:
- Personalised Attention: instead of being bombarded with the interruptions of other students in group classes, private tutoring sessions with a sewing instructor allow amateur fashion designers to focus on the areas where they need improvement. Personalised attention from a tutor is especially great for introverted students.
- Brilliant Tips and Tricks: while you could read plenty of articles and blogs that highlight some practical tips and tricks, the suggestions received from private sewing tutors are priceless. Sewing tips from those who have spent years honing their craft is beneficial.
- Faster Results: instead of teaching yourself and making plenty of mistakes with the patterns and using the wrong techniques, it's worth mentioning that there are more immediate results for those seeking private sewing tutors from the beginning.
But, where can I find a sewing tutor in the UK that will successfully help me complete my handbag design? The answer is simple: Superprof.
If you haven't yet heard of us, Superprof is an international tutoring community that currently boasts over 17 million tutors that instruct more than 1000 different subjects and academic disciplines. But why choose Superprof when there are so many informative and engaging tutoring sites out there? Read the following list to find out why Superprof is the best in the business:
- Affordable tuition,
- A wide variety of engaging and experienced tutors,
- An easy-to-use lesson booking software,
- A fantastic tutor/student support staff,
- The possibility to take lessons either in-person or online.
Also, it's worth stating that most sewing tutors available to teach in the UK offer the first lesson completely free of charge; this is an excellent incentive for new students who want to get a feeling for private tuition.
In conclusion, learning how to make handbag designs that can be made into templates for production is an excellent idea for fashion design students who want to expand their portfolios.
The platform that connects tutors and students