"Today more than 95% of all chronic disease is caused by food choice, toxic food ingredients, nutritional deficiencies, and lack of physical exercise.” – Mike Adams
The popular saying, "you are what you eat" is extremely accurate. Individuals who eat processed sugars, refined carbs and fried foods will suffer from severe health problems in the long run such as diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, obesity and cancer. People who take care of their body and eat omega-3 fatty acids, fruits and vegetables and drink plenty of water reduce the risks of contracting a life-threatening disease and improve their overall quality of life.
One of the primary reasons people suffer from a poor diet and health problems is due to the fact that they believe they don't have the time to cook healthful recipes and take precautions to improve their overall wellness. In addition, without helpful tips from professional health specialists, they do not know how to start and what to do.
Nutritionists help those who are struggling with their health to reverse the damage that they have caused on their bodies. During consultations, the best nutritionists encourage and motivate clients to adopt a healthy lifestyle. They also provide customers with useful tricks and healthful recipes that are easy to make.
Simply put, nutritionists are expert in the field of healthy eating. Throughout their studies, they have done sufficient research and studying to better understand the human body and the food we eat.
Many nutritionists working today practice without having received a university degree or accredited training course from an institute. Nevertheless, if you are looking to become a nutritionist it is much wiser to undertake a training course that has been previously approved by the Association for Nutrition (AfN).
Receiving professional training to become a nutritionist is highly recommended in order to attract clients, maintain freedom of speech and instil a bond of trust with customers.
Superprof is here to show aspiring nutritionists where they can study different areas of nutrition such as basic nutrition, human nutrition, public health nutrition and nutrition and food science.
Get the best nutrition courses UK here.
Schools Offering Basic Nutrition Programmes
During this programme, students undergo training to learn how food impacts wellbeing and health and they discover the link between nutrition and public health. It is a very general course covering all the basics of nutritional health. Students come out of this course knowing how to prepare balanced meals for all sorts of clients and they develop an understanding of why consumers buy and eat certain things.
The Association for Nutrition (AfN) recommends 21 institutes and university all across the United Kingdom offering undergraduate courses in basic nutrition. Here are some of the schools offering the best programmes:
- King's College London: during this three-year course, aspiring nutritionists need at least 360 credits to graduate. Credits are earned each year by passing required modules during year one and optional courses during years two and three. After graduating students receive a degree in Nutrition (BSc). During the three years of studies, pupils study subjects such as Introduction to Food Science and Technology (15 credits), Physiology for Nutrition Students (15 credits), Food Habits (15 credits), Metabolism (15 credits), Nutrition & Genetics (15 credits), Biology of Cancer (30 credits) etc. Highly recommended course because students also learn to develop communication skills and critical analysis.
- University of Leeds: throughout 3 years of full-time study, pupils gain a solid understanding of basic nutrition and the scientific basis of underlying nutritional recommendations. This course offers students the possibility of studying abroad for the last year (4th year) or working in an industry to gain experience. During the second year, students are introduced to the concepts for studying nutrition in different populations and provided with nutritional recommendations for babies, children, pregnant mother and older ones.
- Oxford Brookes University: a three-year programme that can be studied full-time or part-time depending on the student's availabilities. Throughout the course, students learn essential subjects such as healthy eating, eating disorders, the politics of food and food production and organic foods just to name a few. Tuition fees for citizens of the United Kingdom or the European Union are £9,250 for the programme. A very positive statistic from this course is that 80% of students were in the workforce after six months of receiving their BSc in Nutrition.
Schools Offering Human Nutrition Programmes
Human nutrition deals with providing essential nutrients that are necessary for the human body to function. Nutritionists in this sector analyze client's diets and create healthy eating programs that combat bad eating habits.
In this profession, nutritionists have a wide knowledge of basic nutrients and can determine which ones the body needs to keep functioning.
Nutrients are the chemical compounds found in food. Without essential nutrients, the body becomes weak and unable to fight against diseases and bacterias.
There are various universities and institutes offering Human Nutrition programmes all across the United Kingdom for those who are interested in studying. Here are some of the best options available:
- University of Chester: offers a 3-year course, full-time course in Human Nutrition that is accredited and approved by the Association for Nutrition (AfN). After graduating and successfully passing all the assessments, students receive a bachelor degree or BSc (Hons) in Human Nutrition. Throughout the three years of study, pupils go through many different modules. For example, in Year 1 subjects such as Human Physiology and Infection and Immunity are mandatory for study. During Year 2 students learn about Human Metabolism and Biology of Disease. In Year 3, students are required to learn Key Concepts in Food & Nutrition Sciences and Sports & Exercise Nutrition. After successfully passing all written exams and submitting approved coursework in the 3 years of study, students are equipped to deal with all potential demands of clients.
- London South Bank University: this course is designed for individuals who are extremely interested in the power of food and the ability it has to prevent poor health. Students undergoing this 3-year programme are taught by staff members who are experts in their field. This course educates students on the physiological basis of the relationship between a healthy diet and overall wellbeing. According to UNISTATS, 89% of students agreed that the professors were good at explaining things. This is a perfect course for people who are interested in helping others adopt a healthy lifestyle.
Human nutritionists work hard to make sure that everyone is eating the correct nutrients in their diet. Those who receive a degree in Human Nutrition are caring individuals who are deeply concerned about the health of others.
They use their expertise to host seminars in order to ensure that members of their community are making healthy choices. A healthy community means an overall happier and more successful community.
Schools Offering Public Health Nutrition Programmes
Public Health Nutritionists work in the public sector and educate citizens through campaigns, seminars and courses about the benefits of eating well.
After postsecondary studies, these nutritionists find jobs working in hospitals, nursing homes, schools and universities.
Nutritionists working in this sector understand the urgency of teaching young children in schools about a healthy diet which will prevent them from contracting life-threatening diseases in the future. Public health nutritionists work with the cafeteria staff to create healthy and delicious meals that will encourage students to implement healthier food items into their diet.
The primary goal of a public health nutritionist or dietitian is to ensure that the majority of members in their community are making healthy choices that will prolong their overall lifespan. Nutrition education saves many potential illnesses and diseases.
Here are some of the best universities in the country to become a public health nutritionist and receive a certification that is approved by the Association for Nutrition (AfN):
- Queen Margaret University: located in Edinburgh, this university offers interested postgraduate students the opportunity to continue their studies with an MSc in Public Health Nutrition that is covered under the subject area of nutrition and dietetics. Throughout this one year of full-time studies, pupils are taught to improve their expertise and become fully qualified in order to promote healthy eating and make it a matter of public health. To graduate from this programme, students need to receive the necessary credits from modules such as Food Policy and Planning, Clinical Science and Detriments for Health just to name a few. In addition, since it is a master's degree students need to complete a dissertation that is worth 60 credits.
- Sheffield Hallam University: this accredited course equips pupils with the correct knowledge, skills and qualities to become a registered public health nutritionist. Students are extremely satisfied with this course, scoring a 100% overall satisfaction rate. During this 3-year training course that costs British citizens £9,250, aspiring nutritionists learn about their role in community projects and government-led-initiatives. There are many networking opportunities because students become automatic members of the university's Food and Nutrition Society where students can chat with alumni and industry experts after lectures to gain expertise and future job options.
Receiving your accreditation and becoming a public health nutritionist improves the health of members in your community by raising awareness and educating individuals about the dangers of a poor diet and the benefits of making healthy choices.
Schools Offering Nutrition and Food Science Programmes
The role of nutritionists is becoming increasingly popular as consumers are becoming more and more aware of the dangers of a poor diet and the advantages of adopting a healthy one.
Students who were interested in chemistry, biology and other scientific subjects during secondary school often take a specific interest in clinical nutrition which involves the chemistry of food and the effects it has on the health.
Studying a nutritional science programme raises awareness of the way food is processed and sold to consumers and how healthier options are possible.
Here are some of the most highly recommended nutrition and food science programmes offered by universities and institutes in the United Kingdom:
- University of Reading: during this 3-year training programme, pupils study a wide range of modules to become a qualified food science nutritionist. In the first year of studies, certain subjects such as Biochemistry and Metabolism, Introduction to Food Processing and Engineering and Introductory Microbiology is researched by students. Throughout the second year of qualifications, students become educated in different modules like Fundamentals of Human Nutrition, Industrial Training Preparation and Consumer Behaviour. In the final year of studies, year three, core modules of study include Diet and Disease, Research Methods for Food and Nutritional Sciences and Sensory Evaluation of Food.
- University of Northumbria at Newcastle: during this 3-year full-time or 4-year sandwich programme, students acquire necessary understanding of food science and human nutrition. Throughout the studying of necessary modules, pupils learn about food safety, new product development and food processing and preservation. This is a perfect course for those who want to conduct nutrition research, understand dietary issues and diseases such as obesity and help in developing solutions to problems such as world hunger and food shortages. What are you waiting for sign up today to begin a course in nutritional studies!
There are quite a few universities in the United Kingdom offering a nutrition course. It is also encouraging for aspiring nutritionists to know that there are so many distinct job opportunities in the field of nutrition. With poor diets and concerned individuals looking for healthier options increasing, becoming a nutritionist in the UK is a job with endless possibilities!
Find out about nutritionist salaries.
Find out about sports nutrition training.
The platform that connects tutors and students