I am a 30 year old male and a qualified teacher with over six years of diverse teaching experience. Having studied languages myself in an academic setting, I understand the individual needs of learning and the immense pleasure that can be drawn from studying languages. My lessons begin with a diagnostic approach and I then prepare classes and course for individual students or small groups. I utilise a range of different texts including video, news articles, radio programs and pod casts to ensure that students are subject to a diverse array of different grammatical and lexical items. As a teacher I believe it is my duty to enthuse students with the subjects I am teaching by demonstrating its everyday use outside of the classroom and showing how I have benefited personally from studying languages through my extensive travelling and living abroad and recent film and education projects I have been involved in.
I have over six years teaching experience both abroad and in the UK. Predominantly I have taught English and Spanish language but I have also taught literature and skills course as well as being involved in teaching materials development projects and teacher training. My varied lessons mean that students leave with a solid theoretical base for further study, tips and experience for exams and a means to find interesting and engaging materials themselves for further study at a later date. I have taught all levels from primary to tertiary education and in particular I have focused on exams-prep courses such as GCSE, AS and A-levels, IELTS, TOEFL and the Cambridge examinations. My diverse experience has meant that over the years I have developed a repertoire of adaptable teaching materials which have been very effective as they are selected to compliment students' individual learning styles and objectives.
I am willing to teach small groups at a reduced level per student. I ask that students are of a similar level to ensure the most effective learning.
University of Leiden: (MA) Cultural and Visual Anthropology
• Interview ethics, methodology and data management.
• Audio-visual data collection for independent field research.
• Self-taught film and photo editing (Adobe Photoshop, After Effects and Premiere-Pro CS6)
• Rigorous academic training in: research proposal design and writing, referencing, proofreading and scientific essay and report writing.
University of Liverpool: (BA Hons) Latin American and Hispanic studies- BA(Hons) 2:1.
• Academic training in: translating and multi-skilled communication in Spanish and Portuguese
• Research design and implantation
• 3rd year placement in South America: 1) intensive Spanish language course (University of Quito) 2) Independent research on social and environment degradation (Matto Grosso, Brazil)
Hereford Sixth form college:
(A-Level): Chemistry-C, Maths-E, Spanish-C, General studies-C
(A.S Level): Chemistry-B, Biology-C, Maths-C, Spanish-B
International House, London, British Council, Poland,
(CELTA): Pass (CeltYL):Pass _________________________________________________________________________________
Film Education & Project Management:
(March 2016 – June2016) Volunteer film maker and project lead, Merseyside Refugee Support Network (reg. charity).
• co-working with refugees we made short films for the ‘Tell Your Story!’ project which was presented in Poland along with other films shot across Europe.
• interviewing vulnerable refugees to gather materials for the films.
• giving basic workshops on camera skills and editing to the refugees involved in the films and their family members.
(Oct 2012 – April 2013) English Lecturer and Volunteer Coordinator, LPU University, India.
• English language course and material design, implementation and testing.
• design and running extra-curricular activities for foreign students and recruiting and training volunteer helpers.
Teaching & Education Materials Development:
(Jul – Sep 2013/14/15/16) English Tutor, ELTC, University of Sheffield
• Planning and carrying out Academic English and IELTS lessons using interactive ‘smart’ boards. Academic skills for further MA studies at the university.
• Cambridge speaking assessment and use of CLMS blended learning.
• Pastoral duties and keeping up-to-date lesson plans and attendance via the university intranet.
(Feb 2016 – June 2016) Freelance English Tutor, Kaplan International English, Liverpool.
• Academic writing and study skills preparation for university studies
• Regular report writing and weekly study plans for individual student
(Feb 2015 – Nov 2015) Freelance English Tutor, incl. work at International Criminal Court The Hague.
• Designing lesson based on the United Nations English exam.
• Retaining a high level of professionalism with regards to sensitive material within businesses.
(Jan 2014 – Dec 2014) Freelance English Teacher and Materials Developer, British Council, Warsaw & Freelance Proofreading.
• Proofreading of governmental and academic texts.
• Filing invoices and managing my own finances and taxes.
• Developing professional educational materials for a CAE blended course.
(Sep 2013 – Dec 2013) English Language Tutor and Teacher Trainer, UCU University Lviv.
• English teacher in the UCU University, and in off-site company classes. I also designed and implemented teacher training workshops.
(Oct 2011 – June 2012) EAP (EFL) Teacher, Language Link Vietnam
I worked as an EFL Teacher for the IFY (International Foundation Year) programme which prepares students for study in Universities in the UK. I taught English IELTS classes as well as academic skills such as note taking, essay writing and critical thinking.
(Sep 2010 – May 2011) Language Auxiliare, Pamplona, Spain
My first teaching post, I worked giving Cambridge speaking examination preparatory classes to small groups of children of secondary school age (10-17).
My name is Laura. I am from Holland and I have taken private lessons with Sam few months ago. I strongly recommend Samuel as a very good teacher. He is young but very experienced, he always works seriously and does his best to understand what are the weak and strong points of his students. Therefore, He knows what is the best method suitable for each student.
Moreover, deeply in his heart, he always focuses on how to help his students speak fluently and confidently in English. I am very proud to recommend Sam as a very high level English teacher and I am confident to say that every lesson with Sam is worthwhile.
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest academic tutoring lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, reading lessons for all!
Taking test prep lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£20||£15|
|5 hours||Not available||£90||£75|
|10 hours||Not available||£180||£150|