“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” -
iPhone and iMac creator Steve Jobs set out to change the world with his modern and sleek technologies. Little did Jobs know that the "Think Different" campaign would still have a far-reaching today and that his large company Apple, would become the world's most valuable brand.
Those who dare to think different succeed!
Nevertheless, Jobs is not the only who made significant technological advances in the digital age. Other brilliant minds and pioneers from the field of technology such as Bill Gates, James Gosling, and Tim Berners-Lee have revolutionised modern computers that are frequently used and changed the world for better.
According to recent statistics, more than three billion people worldwide are using the internet, which means that there must be hundreds of millions of computers owned by users all over the world; some people even have two or three PCs or MacBooks!
With that being said, the responsibility of possessing a computer means regularly maintaining it to ensure that everything is working alright. Therefore, without further ado, we will discuss essential computing topics such as computer troubleshooting, anti-malware software for your PC, how to effectively build a computer, and, last but certainly not least, how to speed up your computer.
Ready for a wild ride through the technological world? Hand on tight!
Find the best IT courses around on here.
Troubleshooting is a form of problem-solving that is often applied to repair failed products on a machine or system. Since PCs and MacBooks are far from perfect, there are software or hardware issues that arise and troubleshooting is required to determine the problem and fix your device.
There is nothing more frustrating than a slow computer that doesn't work correctly. Therefore, we will consider some hardware and software issues commonly experienced on a PC and other widespread malfunctions MacBook users encounter.
Hardware Problems on a PC
By troubleshooting the following issues, a solution may be encountered:
- Slow Running Computer: to find the cause of associated with a slowing running computer, various things can be verified. Such as what? Restarting your computer (especially helpful if you haven't done it in a while), removing all background programs, deleting temporary and unnecessary files, freeing the hard drive space, scanning for viruses and malware, and updating Windows. If the previously mentioned tactics do not work, consider perhaps increasing the speed of your computer by erasing the information and starting over.
- Wi-Fi Isn't Working: sometimes the wi-fi connection to the computer does not work for various reasons. Consider verifying specific issues such as if the wifi is turned on, make sure the wireless connection is enabled, and check to see if the SSID and security key are correct. If these things are in working order, try to take more drastic measures such as reinstalling wireless devices, and restoring Windows.
Software Issues on a PC
Software is a collection of data that tells the computer how to work correctly. Nevertheless, since the software isn't perfect, the following problem may arise for users:
- An Installed Game Crashes: to make sure the game stops crashing specific troubleshooting steps are highly recommended. 1) Verify the game developer's webpage to search for the number of drivers for your page. 2) Make sure the programs running the background are not occupying too much disk space. 3) Latest updates of your video and sound card should be made to make sure everything is up to date. 4) If the previous steps fail, reinstall the game and start from zero.
Look out for computer programming courses on Superprof.
Troubleshooting a MacBook
The issues experienced on a Mac are quite distinct from that of a PC. Without further ado, the following is the most common and irritating MacBook problem that may need troubleshooting:
- Spinning Beach Ball: if the beach ball is often seen on the screen, it's time to take a look at what might be causing the slowdown. By opening Activity Monitor on your Mac, you can see the certain impact apps are having on your system resources. If the problems still occur, further troubleshooting may be required.
By learning how to troubleshoot your PC or Mac effectively, many future problems are avoided, and the overall lifespan of your electronic device is expanded.
Find IT training courses near you.
Anti-Virus For Your Computer
Since we live in a cruel world with people frequently trying to steal valuable information and invade other's privacy, computer viruses are more prevalent than ever before.
What's the remedy?
Simple, purchasing or downloading an anti-virus or anti-malware software for free. Highly effective malware systems fight dangerous computer infections such as worms, trojans, adware, ransomware, browser hijackers, key loggers, backdoors, spyware, and many more disastrous bugs.
Nevertheless, even though the majority of PC users have anti-virus software on their device, some pose the question, do I need an anti-malware system for my computer?
Yes, it is of the utmost importance, and thankfully, there are many attractive options available from a wide variety of companies addressing various virtual security issues.
What are they?
The following are the best anti-viruses on the market today available for purchase:
- Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2019: viewed by many reputable sources as the best anti-malware software available for sale. Some of Bitdefender's pros include ransomware protection, privacy tools, VPN, Safepay, overall accuracy, password manager, and the low-cost yearly subscription at only £19.99.
- Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus: hailed as the most lightweight anti-virus software on the market, Webroot's AntiVirus is available for download on PC and MacBook, and users much appreciate the always-on security, identity protection, real-time anti-phishing, firewall monitor, and its lightning speed. This anti-malware software is priced at only £22.79 per year and includes a 100% 70-day guarantee; what's not to love?
Also, for those who do not wish to spend any money on anti-virus software, the following is the most highly recommended free option on the market:
- Kaspersky Free Antivirus: according to many online technology experts, this is the best anti-malware software available for free download. Although hard to find on the Kaspersky website, very basic, and not available for Mac, users will be very impressed with the computer security offered by this anti-virus system.
By downloading one of the previously mentioned anti-virus options, users will fight debilitating virtual bugs like a pro!
Are you learning how to adequately build a computer search here on Superprof:
How to Build a Computer
Going to the nearest electronic store and buying a PC or Mac isn't cool anymore.
Want to know what is?
Building your own computer! Many techies or cyberjunkies are building their networks to play video games or for personal use for a wide variety of reasons: flexible design format, better power supplies, quality retail hardware, and versatile upgrades.
First of all, before building your computer, there are specific components that need to be purchased, such as the following:
- Assembly tools: such as a Philips Screwdriver, needle nose pliers, or a simple pair of tweezers.
- A processor: also known as the Central Processing Unit (CPU), this is extremely important and referred to as "the brain" of the computer.
- Motherboard: a compatible motherboard (MOBO) needs to be selected after choosing the processor.
- Graphics Card: the Graphics Processing Unit is mainly for a gaming computer since it will impact the overall gaming performance.
- Memory: the random access memories (RAM) is directly related to the CPU. Users may choose to add a 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB RAM capacity component; the bigger, the better for gamers!
- Storage: there is a choice between an SSD (Solid State Drive) or an HDD (Hard Disk Drive). SSD's are recommended for those who want quality and HDD's for those who are more focused on quantity.
- Power Supply Unit: a PSU is quite simple to find; nevertheless, some rules such as buying from a reputable source, checking overall wattage, and efficiency.
- Case: the carcass that holds everything together must match the size of your motherboard.
How much will all of the above items cost a computer builder? Well, it is essential to state that a starting budget of around $300 or £235 is necessary to purchase all of the vital parts. Nevertheless, this is a PC without any additional accessories. For a mid-range computer, expect to pay between $500-700 or £395-555.
However, it is not uncommon for computer building newbies to get distracted and pay over $2000 or £1580 on a high-end custom-made computer with all the bells and whistles. Establishing a budget beforehand is indispensable to not spending too much on a PC that is too powerful or hi-tech for your daily needs.
After every one of the components has been purchased, it is time to assemble the new computer. It is essential to follow instructions and watch helpful step-by-step tutorials to put together your electronic device successfully.
How to Speed Up Your Computer
Since computers were designed to help individuals get specific work tasks done more efficiently, it is entirely frustrating when your PC or Mac is running at a snail's pace!
Nevertheless, it is essential to state that there are many solutions to speed up your computer and get it back to where it used to be.
Without further ado, the following are a few add-ons, software systems, and processors to increase the overall speed of your ageing device:
- AVG TuneUp: at only £44.99 per year, the AVG TuneUp is one of the most affordable software on the market to increase computer efficiency. Some of users favourite features include a tool that frees disk space and an app that analyses inevitable crashes and observes which applications are slowing down your computer.
- Samsung 860 EVO 1TB: add-ons and accessories such as hard disk drives play an essential role in how your Windows PC runs. The 860 EVO 1TB is relatively affordable for a storage device that allows you to access files quickly and is small enough to fit in a variety of areas inside your computer.
Also, it is essential to state that other technologies such as the Intel Core i9, the CCleaner, disk defragmenter, and Corsair Vengeance LPX are beneficial to speed up slow computers.
Find the best IT courses online on Superprof.
Also, it is essential to state that there are a few tips and tricks that can be done to increase the overall speed of your computer, such as deleting unnecessary programs and restarting your computer regularly.
What about MacBooks? Are there tactics to increase the speed of Macs?
Even expensive MacBooks tend to slow down after a few years of regular use. However, there is no need to fret since Superprof has found the following tips to increase overall speed on a MacBook:
- Manage Startup Items: it is essential to state that when a Mac turns on, there are plenty of unnecessary startup programs. Therefore, to prevent sluggishness, reduce the number of startup applications by going to system preferences.
- Turn Off Visual Effects: Apple's visual effects take up a lot of space and are turned off by unticking specific boxes on the Dock option of system preferences.
- Reduce Desktop Clutter: every desktop icon takes up RAM space, which means that fewer icons on your desktop, the faster your MacBook will run.
In conclusion, we sincerely hope that all the information considered in this article will help all users correctly maintain their computer and thoroughly enjoy their computing experience, whether writing an email or building a hi-tech computer!
The platform that connects tutors and students