Cooking is an important life skill which is all-too-often dismissed as a chore or a pastime reserved for those with a ‘natural talent’.
However, the skills of cooking and baking so far more than fill hungry tummies: they bring people together. The power of food is immense - all it takes is a hearty casserole or lasagne to get the family gathered around the table and spending quality time together.
But what if you have absolutely no idea in the kitchen?
Cookery classes are a perfect way to improve your cooking skills and expand your recipe repertoire while enjoying yourself.
So, if you're a food enthusiast, find a local culinary school and get inspired!
Whether you’re interested in cutting down on takeaways by learning to cook delicious curries for yourself, or you have an upcoming party where you’d love to impress your friends with a homemade cake, Birmingham is littered with expert cooks willing to share their expertise with you.
Learning how to cook in a relaxed environment surrounded by learners of a similar ability could be just what you need to get excited about cooking!
Here is Superprof’s guide to learning to cook in Birmingham.
Harborne Food School
Harborne Food School is dedicated to helping people improve their cooking methods and eating habits through education.
In addition to their cookery classes, they also invite professional chefs to give cooking demonstrations to learners as well as offering team building events for corporate customers.
Harborne’s cooking classes are all about cooking healthily and sustainably, and learners are given advice on where in Birmingham to buy the ingredients used in their cooking course – so you can not only change the way you cook but the way you shop, too!
So, where do Harborne’s classes take place? And what do they cost?
- Where? Harborne Food School is located at The School Yard, Harborne, Birmingham.
- When? Cooking lessons take place regularly, with several evening classes per week.
- How much? Prices can be anywhere between £75 and £
One interesting fact about the Harborne Food School is that it provides kitchen assistants to help customers forget about the less glamorous side of cooking and enjoy creating delicious dishes - so you don’t need to worry about doing any washing up!
Loaf is a bakery and cookery school in South Birmingham which offers courses in artisan bread making, foraging, food preservation, preparing seafood, patisserie, butchery and sushi to name a few.
Loaf’s mission is to bring communities together through bread baking and food education, driven by a firm belief in the ability to find, cook and eat real food.
Courses are delivered by Loaf’s in-house staff as well as professional external tutors.
So where do these cooking classes take place? Are there any cooking classes near me? And how much can you expect to pay for them?
- Where? Loaf is based at 1421 Pershore Road Stirchley, Birmingham.
- When? Loaf usually runs a class every Sunday as well as two or more classes during the week.
- How much? Prices generally range from £65 during the week to around £130 for a weekend masterclass.
So, regardless of the food you enjoy and want to cook, Loaf is bound to have a cooking class for you!
One interesting fact about the Loaf bakery is that it has a ‘waste not’ policy: any unsold bread from the bakery is donated to local people in need through a range of charities who operate in the area.
Maz’s Indian Cooking
Based in Solihull, Maz’s Indian Cooking offers classes in making authentic Indian curries.
Many of Maz’s previous happy customers attest to the relaxed atmosphere in which tuition is delivered.
Courses typically last around three hours – the optimum amount of time to learn to master the basics of curry making and acquire valuable skills which will serve you for years to come.
Throughout the session, Maz will guide you through cooking a full Indian meal – and you get to devour your creation at the end of the class!
So, what are the details of Maz’s cooking courses?
- Where? Maz operates from The Delhi Restaurant, 678 Warwick Road, Solihull.
- When? Arrangements for cooking classes London can be flexible and customers are asked to contact Maz to organise sessions.
- How much? Classes are £50 per person (with a maximum of four participants per lesson).
At just £50 per person, taking an Indian cooking class with Maz, an award-winning professional chef and instructor, is a low-cost and exciting way to spend time with friends and make fabulous food in the process.
The Orange Kitchen Cookery School
The Orange Kitchen Cookery School, which operates from the Beckett’s Farm restaurant in Wythall, offers cooking courses for foodies of all ages, abilities and tastes.
So, whether you have no idea when it comes to cooking, or you’re an amateur cook looking to further your culinary skills, the Orange Kitchen Cookery School will have a course for your needs.
They also run corporate team-building days and children’s parties to get kids interested in creating delectable dishes from scratch.
Here are the details for this cookery school:
- Where? The Orange Kitchen Cookery School operates from Beckett’s Farm restaurant Wythall Lodge, Alcester Rd, Wythall, Birmingham.
- When? Schedules classes take place three times per month. A list of classes and prices can be viewed here.
- How much? This cookery school prices their lessons according to the number of people per workstation. Prices are £80 for one person or £130 for two people sharing a workstation.
The Orange Kitchen also offers bespoke cooking parties, so if you’re the type that loves to celebrate with a new learning experience, this could be the perfect opportunity for you and your friends to get cooking together!
The newly-refurbished Eureka Kitchen, formerly known as Simpsons Cookery School, is now open for business!
This high-end dining establishment not only gives customers the opportunity to spend time learning how to cook fine food, but also to relax whilst doing so!
Following a spot of cooking, budding chefs are invited to enjoy a complimentary glass of champagne while the Eureka staff set up the kitchen for a professional demonstration and three-course meal with other participants.
So, what is there to know about this cooking and dining experience?
- Where? Eureka Kitchen is based at the Simpsons restaurant at 20 Highfield Road, Birmingham.
- When? Cooking classes take place on Saturdays only.
- How much? Classes cost £150 per person.
Classes are for 8 to 10 people, making for an intimate cooking and dining experience with the Simpsons chef director.
During sittings, guests will be offered a choice of two tasting menus at a price of £90 and £110 each.
Taking a class at Eureka Kitchen is a truly special experience and a fantastic way to celebrate a birthday or anniversary – so book your class today!
Birmingham’s Urban Artisan Food School, also known as Kitchen School, offers beginners’ cookery classes as well as masterclasses to inspire people throughout Birmingham when it comes to creating delicious food for themselves and others.
Beginner classes are aimed at those who want to become more confident in the kitchen. Classes centre around developing fundamental culinary skills such as knife skills, as well as mastering your seasoning techniques and rustling up a hearty one-pot.
Master classes are all about helping keen cooks to take their skills to the next level. These sessions are suitable for those with a good set of kitchen skills who want to develop them further and expand their recipe repertoire along the way.
What else do you need to know about Kitchen School?
- Where? Kitchen School is located at 122 Fazeley St, Birmingham.
- When? Beginner classes take place on Fridays at 10 am and last for four and a half hours. Master classes run on Fridays and Saturdays between 10:30 am and 3 pm.
- How much? Beginner courses cost £75 and masterclasses are £
One interesting fact about Kitchen School is that it follows the principles of Slow Food.
Slow Food is an organisation that works to promote networks of food producers and preserve biodiversity. In terms of Kitchen School, this means that the food used in cooking lessons is ethically sourced in an environmentally-friendly way.
So, if you’re a complete beginner or a seasoned chef and you have a particular interest in ethical eating, Kitchen School could be ideal for you!
Chitty’s Cakes offer classes for every type of cake lover.
Whether you’re interested in learning to bake the perfect sponge, get your head round piping or decorating a stunning set of cupcakes, Chitty’s Cakes has it all – you can even learn how to create edible model people and animals!
Sound good? Here are the details:
- Where? You can find Chitty’s Cakes at The Custard Factory, 4 Gibb St, Birmingham.
- When? Classes are fairly regular, with an event taking place on at least four days in every week.
- How much? Prices vary according to the format of each class, but as a general guide, you can expect to pay up to £48 for a three-hour class.
In addition to their classes, Chitty’s Cakes also host parties and team building days – so why not mention Chitty’s to your boss?
It can be useful to know where to Find Cooking Classes in the UK. For more locations around Britain, see below: