"Dance is for everybody. I believe that the dance came from the people and that it should always be delivered back to the people." -Alvin Ailey
There is no excuse not to dance, even if you believe that you're the worst dancer in the history of mankind, there is always room for improvement; maybe you just haven't found your dance style yet.
Humans from all over the world have an inborn instinct to move to the rhythm and let loose when they hear their favourite song being played.
Since dancing is such a social and pleasant experience for many, there are dance academies all across the UK to improve the skills of beginners. That is why we shall analyse the best dance classes available to students in the Greater Belfast area.
The World of Dance
When you hear the word dance, what comes to mind? Do you think about uncontrolled gyrating from older uncles and aunts at family events? Or do you imagine toned and very fit professionals gliding across the dance floor effortlessly?
Whichever the case may be, the world of dance is quite varied and filled with many experts that make moving to the rhythm of salsa, tango, and the jive look easy.
It is estimated that there are thousands of dances worldwide across all six continents that are specific to the culture and traditions of each region. For example, in Brazil, the Samba is danced all over Sao Paulo and Rio's streets during Carnaval, in Austria the Waltz has been perfected, and in the Dominican Republic, the Merengue is practised on the beaches all night long.
Therefore, without further delay, we shall consider five of the world's most popular dance genres to intrigue Belfastians to take dance lessons:
- Hip-Hop Dance: influenced by martial arts and the aspects of street dancing in New York City, hip-hop dancing originated in the 1970s and explored several styles such as popping, locking, and break dancing. The distinct movements of hip-hop have continuously gained popularity since the 80s and 90s with no signs of slowing down.
- Tap Dance: often viewed by many as extremely challenging, tap dancing is all about technique and has roots traced back to African dances in the 1800s. Essential ingredients of tap dance include tap shoes and a hard surface.
- Salsa: danced all across the Americas, Salsa originated in New York City in the 1970s and borrows its origins/moves from distinct dances such as the Cuban Son, the Cha-Cha, and the Mambo. Salsa dancing has strong influences from Puerto Rico, Cuba, and other Island countries.
- Belly Dance: developed from the origins of Middle Eastern folk, Belly Dancing is one of the most breath-taking and exotic popular dances. Having gained popularity during the 18 and 19th century in the Ottoman Empire, Belly Dancers are incredibly flexible and unafraid to show some midriff skin.
- Ballet: established initially during the Italian Renaissance areas in the 15th century, Ballet has been made extremely famous by the Russians and the French. Notorious for demanding perfection from its dancer, Ballet is a beautiful example of precision and excellence in the performing arts.
The previously mentioned dance genres have plenty of subtypes that are equally popular and frequently practised all over the world. The world of dance is worthy of much time and study since it is so exciting!
Now we shall consider the best dance institutes in the Greater Belfast area.
The Best Dance Institutes in Belfast
Belfast is one of the United Kingdom's most northern cities located in the 14,130 square km area of Northern Ireland. Belfastians enjoy a very peaceful town known for its port and the Titanic museum. Also, since Belfast is Northern Ireland's largest city, there are many education options available to all types of people.
For instance, little do Belfastians know, but there are various ballet and dance studios for citizens interested in mastering the moves of a specific dance or many.
Fun fact: there are more than 10 operation dance studios in the Greater Belfast area!
Therefore, without further ado, the following are the best dance institutes in Belfast:
- LATIN-SALSA Belfast with Tony and Carolina: boasting fantastic Google reviews, the Latin Salsa classes taught by Tony and Carolina are some of the best in the United Kingdom. Specially designed for those who want to participate in intensive workshops or book salsa classes, Tony and Carolina are experienced professionals. It is essential to state that if you are looking for other types of dances, more ballroom, this is not the place for you. Booking group classes for events such as weddings, birthdays, and hen parties, Tony and Carolina make every occasion an absolute triumph!
- The Crescent Learning Centre: conveniently located on University Road in Belfast, The Crescent Learning Centre is a brilliant place to learn more about some of the world's most practised dances. For example, according to their dance and wellbeing courses on their website, adults and children alike can acquire the basics of ballet, Bollywood dances, pop dances, swing dances, tap dances, and the many distinct ballroom dances. All of the courses are taught by brilliant tutors who have years of experience teaching dance. Also, classes are well-priced and available at various times.
- Laura Walker Ballet: established by talented dancer Laura Walker, the Laura Walker Ballet Studio runs classes from Monday to Saturday at convenient locations near the centre of Belfast. All types cater to students from 3 years of age and up and are taught with the Royal Academy of Dance syllabus in mind. Check out the informative website to learn about the classes offered and the teachers providing lessons.
While there are other additional dance schools in Belfast, the previously mentioned options are by far the best since they cover the majority of the world's most popular dances and have fantastic reviews from past students.
Online Dance Lessons
Did you know that you can learn how to dance professionally without ever leaving your home? Are you familiar with the fact that some of the world best dance tutors offer classes via an online learning platform?
If you are not the savviest with technology, you would probably answer no to the previously mentioned questions; nevertheless, we are here to tell you that there are plenty of Belfast-based dancers offering classes on the Superprof website!
According to our site, there are two Belfast-based dance tutors willing to provide online or in-person dance tuition to children and adults. Prices much depend on experience and are from £10-200 per hour.
Also, we cannot fail to mention that there are over 1000 qualified private dance instructors based in various UK cities and offering their services to curious Belfastians. All dance classes are via webcam, and different types of dance such as breakdancing, hip-hop, ballet, and salsa can be learnt.
The overwhelming majority of our dance tutors boast 5-star reviews and glowing testimonials from past students. Therefore, for what are you waiting? Hire an online dance instructor today via Superprof!
Tips and Tricks to Become a Better Dancer
Do you want to learn how to dance to impress the cutest girl at a school dance? Do you want professional dance lessons to become one of your favourite pastimes? Does the pressure of the first dance at your wedding inspire you to learn a few valuable steps?
Whatever your unique situation is, hiring a dance instructor to become better on the dancefloor is a brilliant idea to analyse tricks that will lead to improvement frequently.
Therefore, without further delay, the following are some of the essential tips that are professional dancer approved:
- Practice Frequently: even after the professional lessons with a tutor have concluded, beginners need to practice at home or in a studio regularly to implement the new movements and tricks they have recently learnt from their instructor. By retaining further dance information through practice, muscle memory is honed to become a pro dancer eventually.
- Feels the Moves: you don't want to be stuck in your head when learning how to dance; therefore, it is essential to feel the rhythm and let your body move to the grove! By practising and making your body free, your muscle memory improves drastically.
- Get Inspired: continually listen to music that is appropriate to the dance moves you want to acquire; this will help you to stay inspired and trigger you to move at all times. Also, we recommend watching Youtube videos from your favourite dancers to have aspirations.
Belfastians we hope that you have read this article and now feel inspired to become one of the best dancers in your lovely town!
If you're a reader from Wales, you'd be happy to know that dance there are many professional dance centres in and around the city of Cardiff.