I am lucky to have taught a broad range of young people and adults with varying needs - my teaching is always tailored to what the individual really needs to achieve their goals.
- Personal desires to learn more about music, drama, singing or acting
- Refining singing technique and performance skills (Musical Theatre, Pop, Classical)
- Preparation for singing and acting auditions for conservatoire training, stage productions or for Drama School and University (Students have gained places to train at ICMT, RCSSD, Mountview, Urdang and others).
- Preparation for GCSEs/A Levels in Music, Drama, Performing Arts and Theatre Studies
- Graded exams (ABRSM, LAMDA, LCM, Trinity Rock and Pop).
I have the training and experience to tailor lessons by including short and long term goals, clearly structured means of reaching these goals and ensuring the student understands the process at every step of the way.
I am an actor, having previously worked as a music teacher in primary and secondary schools, a theatre director and musical director and private singing and acting teacher.
I have a joint honours degree in Music and Drama specialising in Composition, Vocal Performance and Playwriting, a PGCE specialising in Music and a Masters in Acting.
I have been teaching for 10 years. I have prepared students for GCSE and A Level Music, coached students towards successful Drama School auditions and prepared students for Graded exams in Piano, Singing, Acting and Musical Theatre.
Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance of the lesson start time incurs no charge. Cancellation beyond this point incurs the full lesson cost. 30 and 40 minute lessons available for younger pupils and more focused learning.
Teacher of Music, Rydal Penrhos School, Sept 2016 - August 2019
- Form Tutor
- Academic Scholar Coordinator
- Assistant Head of UCAS and Further Education
- Teacher of Music from Foundation Phase (age 3) up to Key Stage 5 (age 18).
Peripatetic Singing and Piano Teacher: Ysgol Bryn Elian, April 2013 - July 2016 and Staves Music Tuition, September 2014 - August 2015
Stagecoach Theatre Arts Colwyn Bay (Singing, Drama, Early Stages), April 2015 - July 2019
Freelance Theatre Practitioner, Self-employed, 2013 - Present
- Private Singing and Acting Teacher: Preparing students for graded exams in Singing, Piano, Acting and Musical Theatre; for personal gain; for auditions for Drama School and Conservatoire Training
- Theatre Director and Musical Director
- Workshop Leader (Adults and Children)
Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts, 2019-2020
MA Performance (Acting)
University of Buckingham, 2017-2018
University of Manchester, 2012-2015
BA(hons) Music and Drama
2:1 Specialising in Composition, Vocal Performance and Playwriting
Ysgol Bryn Elian 2003-2010
A Level Music Grade A*; A Level Performing Arts Grade B; A Level Welsh Grade A
10 GCSEs Grade A*-A
Richard is a passionate and highly skilled teacher. Each lesson with him is clearly planned and suited to my specific needs. He understands my voice perfectly and knows how to get the best from me.
Richard is a patient and warm tutor. He perfectly combines hard work and productivity with enjoyment and gratification, that ensures you leave your session feeling confident and successful. The laughs had in lessons immediately put me at ease and always made me look forward to the next one. Richard’s tutoring was invaluable and if I didn’t have him, to help me prepare for drama school, I would have been lost.
music lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|