I have been a practicing, professional artist for my whole adult life. I am interested in helping students tackle the key obstacles that they encounter in drawing/painting landscape, portrait, still life etc, by helping them to understand of the nature of the obstacles and giving them strategies to overcome them.
I am an artist, and an academician at the Royal West of England Academy (RWA) I have been teaching life drawing and painting at Falmouth University for 16 years and teaching portraiture and landscape painting at St Ives School of Painting for 5 years.
ASHLEY HOLD, MA, RWA
Falmouth School of Art and Design, 1984, Foundation Diploma.
Falmouth School of Art and Design, 1986-89. BA Hons Fine Art.
Cornwall College/University of Plymouth, Post-Graduate Certificate in Education, 2004 – 2005.
University College Falmouth, Postgraduate Diploma and Masters Degree in Twentieth Century Art and Design: Histories and Theories, 2005-08.
Elected to the Royal West of England Academy (RWA), 2007.
SELECTED TEACHING EXPERIENCE
Falmouth University 2005 –
• Currently running the Drawing Studies module for Levels 1 and 2 BA Illustration, responsible for developing the curriculum and for assessment.
• Currently running the life drawing for Level 2 BA Drawing, responsible for the developing the curriculum and assessment.
• Part-time lecturer on the Foundation Course at UCF teaching drawing and painting workshops to full-time and part-time students. Other responsibilities included interviewing, portfolio reviews, tutorials, assessments and contextual studies lectures.
• Taught drawing for L1 Architecture students.
• Taught drawing for L1 Interior Design students.
• Summer Intensives: Painting from the Figure summer school 2015 -2017, attended by both amateur and professional artists.
• Taught life drawing classes for BA Fine Art
• Taught the Life Drawing Summer School, from July through to September in 2007 and 2008, which was attended by current and prospective students as well as non-students.
• Taught a life-drawing course for students on the MA Design course.
• Taught the life drawing classes for the BA Fine Art course (2008 – 2015).
• Taught a humanities module for 4th year students at the Peninsula Medical School (PMS), taking an inter-disciplinary approach to looking at art and the human figure, also involving under-graduate and post-graduate students at UCF. (2008 - 2016)
• Taught a number of workshops at UCF working with pupils from local schools as part of an outreach initiative, including an Inflatable Sculpture workshop as part of the Creative Futures summer school at UCF.
• Lead artist on the Art Squad scheme for gifted and talented pupils from secondary schools in Cornwall and Devon, as part of the university’s outreach initiative (2012-13).
St Ives School of Painting 2016-
Teaching on a regular basis including
• Regularly teach in the drop-in life drawing classes on Saturdays.
• 2/3-day workshops Painting Rocks and Waves.
• 3-day workshops: Portrait Painting.
• 3 Day workshop: Improve Your Portrait.
• visiting artist as part of the Porthmeor Developing Practice Course.
Cornwall College, 2005 – 2006.
• Taught life drawing to students on a National Certificate of Further Education course, responsible for curriculum, and assessing.
Highfield Private Secondary School, Redruth, 2011-12
• Head of art department, responsible for curriculum and assessment of years 7 - 10.
B.P. Portrait Award. National Portrait Gallery, London, 1994.
Royal Society of Portrait Painters. The Mall Galleries, London,1995.
The Hunting Art Prizes. Royal College of Art, London, and Victoria Art Gallery, Bath, 1996.
The Hunting Art Prizes. Royal College of Art, London, and Newport Museum
and Art Gallery, 1998.
B.P. Portrait Award. National Portrait Gallery, and Aberdeen, 1999.
The Discerning Eye. The Mall Galleries, London, 1999.
The Discerning Eye. Mall Galleries, London, 2002.
151st Autumn Exhibition. Royal West of England Academy, Bristol, 2004.
Encore. Royal West of England Academy, Bristol, 2005.
1999 Facade Prize for 2-Dimensional Work at The Discerning Eye exhibition, The Mall Galleries, London.
1998 Regional Prize at the Hunting Art Prizes, Royal College of Art, London.
The Reverend Mr Martin Picken, portrait commissioned by Oliver Padel.
Professor Harold Mattingley, portrait commissioned by Alex Hooper.
Jim Daniel, Grand Secretary General, portrait commissioned by the Freemasons for the Grand Lodge, Great Queen St, London.
Dr John Rea Principal of the College of St Mark & St John, portrait commissioned by Henry Duwrose for Marjon College, Plymouth.
Perfect! Highly skilled and knowledgeable, empathetic, attentive listening, quick to grasp the problems I was having and offer clear advice and strategies. I will be booking more sessions, and I highly recommend him for anyone struggling with their work...
drawing lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest painting lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, acrylic painting lessons for all!
Taking oil painting lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£30||£20|