I look to build a positive relationship with students, knowing first hand how important a good bond with a teacher is to productive and enjoyable music making. I bring a mixture of good technical understanding with an appreciation of the fun of music and a love of a wide range of repertoires.
I am a recent BA and MPhil Cambridge music graduate now studying law in London and looking to share my musical experience. I played in the National Youth Orchestra and have extensive conducting experience. Experience teaching beginners and coaching high level ensembles and instrumentalists.
University of Cambridge, Christ’s College - MPhil in Music October 2019 to date
• Currently reading for an MPhil, specialising in 16th century manuscript sources
University of Cambridge, Christ’s College - BA Music (I*) October 2016 to June 2019
• Graduated with First Class Honours with Distinction
• Ranked 2nd in cohort in 1st and 3rd years
Stockport Grammar School September 2009 to June 2016
• A-Levels: 4 A*s in Mathematics, Further Mathematics, French and Music
• GCSEs: 12 A*s (including A* with distinction in Further Mathematics)
• I achieved grade 8 oboe with distinction (142) in 2014. I currently play at Diploma level.
• I attended the Royal Northern College of Music Junior Department (2015-2016), studying with David Cowdie. I subsequently studied at the Royal Academy of Music with Celia Nicklin as part of the CAMRAM scheme (2017-2019).
• I achieved first class marks in the recital paper in each year of undergraduate study.
• I was a member of the National Youth Orchestra (2016) and a Cambridge University Instrumental Award Holder (2016-2018), during which I received coaching from Melanie Ragge.
• I have some semi-professional experience playing with ad hoc ensembles in Greater Manchester.
Choir Manager, Christ’s College Chapel Choir (Part time) September 2019 to date
• I organise the day-to-day running of the choir including scheduling, financial management, vocal tuition and publicity.
PREVIOUS ROLES AND EXPERIENCE
Supervisor, Reach Cambridge August 2019
• I had overall pastoral responsibility for a group of international residential summer school students. I designed and led extra-curricular activities focussed around singing and music more generally, adapting the activities to suit the relative experience of the participants.
Tour Leader, Christ’s College Choir July 2018
• I organised and led a three-week choir tour to Canada. This encompassed conducting the ensemble in concerts and providing detailed and constructive feedback in rehearsals.
Workshop Leader, Stockport Grammar School 2015-2016
• I assisted the music department staff in leading oboe taster sessions for younger pupils.
• I also play the Cor Anglais, and own my own instrument. I am confident in adjusting oboe reeds and fixing minor technical faults on the instrument.
• I am proficient in music theory, and have a reasonable keyboard ability.
• I have significant conducting experience with the Cambridge University Symphony Orchestra, Graduate Orchestra and Gilbert and Sullivan Society, requiring the ability to coach a variety of instrumentalists.
• I volunteer with Sing Inside, visiting prisons and mental health facilities to provide singing workshops.
I am an experienced instrumentalist with a wide range of performance experience in high level ensembles and
solo contexts. I am a confident teacher, frequently assisting colleagues in ensemble settings and leading sectional
rehearsals. I believe I can combine a rigorous academic understanding of music with technical ability and the
desire to help others succeed. I have enjoyed my experiences of teaching and am looking to maintain this during
the course of further graduate study.
References available upon request
music theory lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest musicology lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, chamber music lessons for all!
Taking classical music lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|