My style is friendly and relaxed whilst aiming to maintain structured learning objectives. I have developed lesson plans that range from Essay Writing and Structuring, Grammatical Practice to Debate and Public Speaking. Often, my lessons are designed to unite a piece of literature with informed historical contexts, philosophy and literary theory. For example, a lesson on American Literature might incorporate a poem by Maya Angelou, an essay by journalist Garnette Cadogan and contemporary articles on American Politics. In this way, students are encouraged to develop an informed perspective of the subject, rather than just adhering to a mark scheme.
The best way to learn is to feel involved in the language and subject you wish to develop, and I believe that making the lessons fun is paramount to the learning process. Please do not hesitate to message me and discuss the best lesson for you, I'm more than happy to spend time tailoring something to your needs.
I have up to four years of experience teaching English as a Foreign Language, from the very youngest of children (ages 4-11) with French Companies such as Babylangues, to students (ages 11-18) in renowned International Summer Schools, to Professional Adults in a private context.
Hello! My name is Lucy, I'm a 23 year old graduate from Manchester, England. I graduated from the University of Cambridge last year with a 2:1 in English Literature - my interests relate broadly to Feminist Form in Contemporary Novels, Modern Language Poetry, Installation Art, Music and Film. I am currently completing the Graduate Diploma in Law with BPP University to earn a postgraduate degree in Law. I was recently awarded with a Training Contract from a top 100 London Law Firm commencing in 2020. My ultimate goal is to qualify as a Criminal or Family Law Solicitor and after a number of years gaining commercial experience I hope to work as an In-House Lawyer for Women's Aid and Immigration Charities.
For the previous two Summers, I have acted as a leading teacher for SAES (Seminar for Advanced English Studies), a Summer School specialising in preparing German students for their Abitur Examinations. I personally specialise in Textual Analysis, Shakespeare and Politics and Society. This year, I was selected to assist the Headteacher of the School in designing the new curriculum; I created a variety of Teaching Aids as well as new resources to be implemented from 2019. Furthermore, I acted as a teacher and Early Language Acquisition Specialist with Babylangues Paris from February to June this year, it was in Paris that I was also trained as an English as a Foreign Language Teacher.
2018-2019: BPP University, Graduate Diploma in Law
2014-2017: University of Cambridge, Churchill College, BA Hons English Literature (2:1)
Dissertation on Female Subjectivity in Experimental Modern Prose and Stream of Consciousness Fiction.
2006-2013: Skipton Girls’ High School A Levels: English Literature (A*) History (A*) French (A)
GCSEs: 15 GCSEs, 9 at Grade A* and 6 at Grade A
Skills Computer Literacy: Proficient with MS Office Suite, EDCL Qualification. Language Proficiency: Native
English Speaker; Business-Level French, with a B1+ Fin du Stage qualification.
Early Language Acquisition Instructor in English for Babylangues, Paris (March 2018-Present)
- Leading private and group sessions developing early language acquisition through sound, repetition and play.
Vacation Scheme with Russell-Cooke London LLP (April 2018)
- Provided administrative support on five different high value cases.
- I performed tasks such as the completion of asset management schedules, summaries of dispute resolution hearings and the drafting of various correspondence between the firm and clients.
- Due to my high performance during the scheme, I was awarded a Solicitor’s Training Contract for 2020.
English Language Teacher and Pastoral Care Supervisor for SAES (Summer 2017)
- Specialising in the teaching of Shakespeare, Art History, Essay Writing and Debate. - Office duties included activity planning logistical coordination of parents and students. Project Manager and Marketing Intern for
Co-op Group (Summer 2016)
Assisted the Primary Project Manager for Legal Services and acted as deputy in a National Campaign between the Legal Services and Cancer Research UK.
- Following exemplary performance I was asked to contribute marketing content to the Group’s website.
Campaign and Office Assistant to Rachel Reeves, Labour MP (Summer 2012)
- Campaigned and successfully enlisted new members of underprivileged areas to the Labour Party as well as plotting campaign logistics and developing methods to enlist members from lower Socio-Economic backgrounds.
Assistant to Bill Adams, Trade Union Congress (Summer 2012)
- Assisted Bill Adams by performing research, analysing statistics and collecting information for the Trade Union Congress’s Publicity Campaigns. Online
Guest Editor, Yorkshire Times Newspaper (Summer 2012)
- Starting as an assistant, I edited and formatted articles. After submitting pieces of my own work I was asked to take on the role of Guest Editor for an annual Music Festival, overseeing and editing the events section.
Voluntary and Society Positions
President of the Churchill College Women’s Society, President of approx. 60 Members (2015-2016)
- Hosted weekly committee meetings and set targets for the Society whilst planning events and campaigns.
- Spearheaded a photographic campaign representing students and their chosen statements against gender discrimination.
Personnel Manager of Churchill Casino Charity. Management of approx. 100 Members (2016-2017)
Took charge over the logistics for over 25 professional events across 9 months around Cambridgeshire,
Responsible for maintaining for the welfare of all student volunteers.
Columnist and Contributor of various opinion and review articles for University Papers (2014-2017)
Volunteer for Raleigh International, Sustainable Development Charity (February-April 2016)
Lucy is a fantastic tutor!
She tutored my 8- and 14-year-old boys in English. They've never really shown an interest in the subject before, which is probably why they were performing poorly, but Lucy made it engaging for them, and they're getting a lot more from class now. I even caught my older (Luke) reading a book of his own accord...
english literature lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest poetry lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, essay writing lessons for all!
Taking university entrance lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||£20|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||£100|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||£200|