My teaching method varies depending on how the student learns, I try to teach so that the student is involved and not getting bored so that they can enjoy what they are learning. I will always try to give a few examples and get the student to try and attempt some questions themselves too.
I graduated with a first in my chemistry masters last year and during my time at university I also tutored A-level maths to a struggling student and he ended up passing with a B at the end of the year.
Rates dependent on tuition level:
Degree: £25 ph
A-level: £20 ph
GCSE: £15 ph
*Cancellation must be made 12 hours before the time of lesson or fees still apply.
* 'Pack' of lessons discount prices shown for GCSE only
Education and Qualifications
2014 – 2018 MChem (Hons) Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry
2012 – 2014 Yateley 6th Form College
A Level: Graphics A, Chemistry B, Maths C
AS Level: IT B
• Planned and managed experiments to meet strict deadlines whilst overcoming any unanticipated problems. Used an array of organic techniques and methods, including but not limited to, separation techniques, chromatography, cyclic voltammetry, NMR, and mass spectrometry.
• Experience in microbiology assays such as REMA assay which was undertaken in a CL3 containment bacteria laboratory.
• Regularly completed COSHH safety forms, ensuring I fully understood all risks and hazards involved.
• Presented a poster for my Summer Vacation Scholarship at the studentship awards evening and answering any questions. Weekly progress presentations as well as a final marked presentation outlining overall aims and results for my Masters research project.
IT and Data Handling
• Proficient in Microsoft office package, including Excel, and common chemistry software such as MestReNova, ChemDraw, and Pymol.
Teamwork and Leadership
• Previous jobs have required me to work in teams and as an individual, improving my leadership skills, communication skills and confidence. I have been promoted in multiple jobs to management-based roles.
Dec 2018 – Present Research Scientist (Patent Analyst)
• Researching intellectual property within the biochemistry interface and writing reports for clients on their patentability needs. Specifying in areas such as gene & protein sequence, molecular biology and molecular biological methods and pharmaceuticals.
• Using various databases to access patent information relating to the client’s needs.
• Large clients such as Unilever and Rolls-Royce.
Jan 2018 – Apr 2018 Masters Research Project
• 11 weeks in a lab conducting a blind SAR on a new and unreleased antibiotic which was aimed to treat tuberculosis. Strategically designing new variations of the original drug structure and testing multiple synthetic routes to the desired structure
• Each variation of the drug synthesised was evaluated using a REMA assay to test their minimum inhibitory concentration against mycobacterium tuberculosis (TB)
• Results showed that one of the potential antibiotics I designed was active against Rifampicin-resistant tuberculosis and will go on for further testing.
Jun 2016 – Aug 2016 Summer Vacation studentship
• Accepted for Summer Vacation Studentship to do paid research for 6 weeks. This involved synthesising 6 cobalt salen complexes. These were then tested by electrochemical water oxidation/reduction as a model for hydrogen evolution catalysts.
Sep 2016 – Jun 2016 Maths Tutor
• Tutored an AS Level student for 3 x 2hr sessions a week in Core 1 AS Level Maths. He passed with a B grade after struggling earlier on in the year.
Other Work History
Jun 2017 – Nov 2018 Beach Control
Weymouth & Portland Borough Council
• Seasonal summer job on Weymouth beach. Regularly policed the area of Weymouth and Greenhill beaches. Assisted the public with any problems and enquiries. Carried out daily checks to ensure all lifelines are intact and removing any potential hazards such as needles, jellyfish, dead seagulls etc.
Perfect! Absolutely exceptional tutor! With help from Leigh I graduated with 68% in Pharmacology and Medicinal Chemistry Module from The University of Exeter, with Medicinal Chemistry component at 74%. Leigh was absolutely perfect for my style of learning, very patient, great theoretical and visual examples, amazing at explaining difficult concepts and mathematical equations, always gave me practise questions and great feedback which was brilliant because I was able to confirm that I understood what I was learning. Leigh also gave me really good exam tips and approaching complex questions. I couldn’t be happier, Thank you very much Leigh!
chemistry lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest organic chemistry lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, school science lessons for all!
Taking biochemistry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£15||£15|
|5 hours||Not available||£60||£75|
|10 hours||Not available||£110||£150|