Fun, enthusiastic and patient music tutor based in Tunbridge Wells. With a varied musical career myself, I'm a keen believer in making my lessons as wide-ranging as possible, whether mastering Mozart, conquering Coldplay, or perfecting those scales!
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
Piano (Classical, Jazz, Pop), Music Theory (ABRSM Grades 1-8), Composition/Songwriting, IB, A Level or GCSE Music.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- Masters in Composition (Distinction) and Adrian Cruft Prize for Composition, Royal College of Music, 2010-2012
- Bachelor of Music (First class honours) and Hargreaves Dissertation Prize, University of Manchester, 2007-2010
- International Baccalaureate (42 points with a 7 in Higher Level Music)
- GCSE Music (A*)
- ABRSM Grade 8 Piano, Voice and Viola (Distinction)
- How much do you charge?
- £35/hour and £20/half hour within Tunbridge Wells. (I am happy to teach outside these zones, but will charge extra to cover travel costs)
- Where do you teach?
Able to travel to students' homes in Tunbridge Wells area, or further afield for increased fee. Can also teach from home (just off Camden Road) for a reduced fee.
- When are you available?
Currently available Wednesday/Thursday evenings with some weekend availability.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
I regularly teach students from ages 6-18, with a particular focus on beginners up to Grade 5 level. I also have experience teaching adults, and following a less conventional route than the graded path.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
I have prepared students for ABRSM Practical exams (Grades 1-8), ABRSM Jazz Grade 1-5, as well as Music Theory Exams (mostly Grade 5 Theory). I am also able to prepare students for GCSE, A-Level or IB Music exams.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
With Music Theory, I am able to tutor online. Students can work through practice exams, or sheets that I prepare, send them to me via email, and then I will send back a copy with detailed feedback. If there are any issues that need discussing more fully, I am able to hold lessons on Skype (or any other similar instant messaging application).
- Do you have a personal message for students?
Whilst there are vital practical and academic challenges posed by all areas of music, one of the most important things to remember is that music is meant to be fun! This is something that I am always thinking about in my lessons. I'm also a great believer in all-rounded musicianship, and try to use a range of techniques, including improvisation and playing by ear to develop this.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- Piano/Composition teacher at Wellington College (2013-Present)
- Piano/Composition teacher at New Beacon Prep School (2013-Present)
- Theory tutor, choir leader and conductor at Blackheath Conservatoire (2014-Present)
- Musician in Residence at Sevenoaks School, teaching composition/theory classes and being a staff accompanist.
- Private music tutor with four years experience preparing students of all abilities for various ABRSM exams.
- Tutor for Enjoy Education, teaching Music as well as Maths/English to a variety of ages and abilities.
- Volunteer at Kampala Music School, Uganda, teaching lessons in piano, theory, jazz piano, composition, arranging and general musicianship.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
I have an up to date DBS check within 2 years carried out by Blackheath Conservatoire. I am more than happy to show this on request
- Where and with whom did you train?
I trained at the Royal College of Music and Manchester University.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
• Bachelor of Music (Hons) First Class - University of Manchester (2010)
• Masters in Composition - Royal College of Music (2010-2012)
Chris taught Grade V Theory over four months to our rather unconfident 15 year-old son, who then passed with flying colours on his first attempt. Chris was easy to deal with and flexible on lesson timings, knew how to get the key points across in an understandable and memorable way, managed any anxiety and lack of confidence and got a great result.
Chris taught my 15 year old daughter GCSE music over 5 intensive sessions. Music theory is not my daughter's strength - she is more a performer. So Chris had quite a challenge improve her theory from her E grade Mock. As she approaches exams she now feels confident and prepared. He has methodically and patiently revised the set works, practised past papers, and given her a thorough understanding of GCSE theory. I know my daughter found Chris a massive help - he's clearly a talented tutor/musician.
Chris taught me in preparation for my International Baccalaureate Higher Music exams, covering a wide range of topics including the set works, world music, music investigation and composition. His excellent and thorough teaching helped me attain 90% for composition, and excellent marks in other areas. Our lessons were engaging and stimulating, and flexible in format (face to face, via email etc.). I would highly recommend Chris as a teacher, and hope to continue to use his services in the future.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|