I base my teaching around individual programming concepts, using anecdotes and other examples to help the student completely understand/grasp the concept. Once the concept has been fleshed out and broken down, I will set basic exercises that help familiarize the student with the concept and ensure they fully understand it through this application.
I am currently a 'Technical Intern', primarily doing software development, at an SME. After this internship, I return to University to finish my degree in Computer Science.
Last year I was a volunteer for CodeClub, a charity that focused on helping enthusiastic Primary school children develop their interest for programming. I was a supervisor at these sessions, and found great joy in helping the children solve their programming problems and understand different coding concepts.
Prior to this I have voluntary experience in charity shops and also tutored a Year 11 Computing student when I was in college. I also worked as an Associate Software Developer for my University.
Role: Technical Intern
Company Name: Khaos Control Solutions Ltd
Dates Employed: Jul 2017 – Present
My role at this company is fluid: I have been exposed to many areas of the company and have experienced the entirety of the software life-cycle; gaining an understanding of how a bespoke product goes from a customer request to a solution that's integrated into the customer's business, and is relied on day-to-day thereafter.
Khaos Control employs AGILE principles. Each morning I attend a SCRUM meeting where the SCRUM master ensures every member of the team contributes to the meeting and tries extricating any individual from their problems. Each member speaks about their ongoing projects and any obstacles they face. Other members contribute to one's discussion, helping members where they can in regards to achieving their goals.
- As support tickets are raised by customers, I am responsible for working on tickets by understanding the customer inquiry and making appropriate developments in the source code.
- Customers suggest developments for the system. Myself and other developers collaborate to break-down difficult problems to help understand how the problem can be solved. We then develop the idea and dispatch the improved system to customers.
- Developed parts of the macro testing - more areas of the system are automated in regard to testing, resulting in less manual testing. More development time is a result of this.
- Created automated macro regression tests that run on the system to ensure that developments in the work-in-progress version of the system have not affected core areas of the system.
- Ran 'Phase 1' tests. These are both manual and automated tests that are run at the end of every Sprint to ensure all parts of the system work as intended.
- Part of a 'values' team, which works in organizing company events and team-building exercises. One example of my success here would be how I lead the organisation of a company charity skydive.
University of Lincoln
Degree Name: Bachelor’s Degree
Field Of Study: Computer Science
Dates attended or expected graduation 2015 – 2019
Activities and Societies: Societies include: Cycling Rounders Yoga Expedition Real Ale Muscle and Aesthetic.
Year Two (1st):
- Database Systems (1st)
- Object-Oriented Programming (1st)
- Networks and Network Systems (1st)
- Programming Paradigms (2:1)
- Artificial Intelligence (1st)
- Professional Practice (2:1)
- Group Project (1st)
- Human-Computer Interaction (1st)
Year One (2:1):
- Maths for Computing (1st)
- Operating Systems (1st)
- Algorithms and Complexity (2:1)
- Programming and Data Structures (3rd)
- Problem Solving (2:1)
- Computer Architectures (2:1)
- Web Authoring (2:1)
Role: Associate Software Developer
Company Name: University of Lincoln
Dates Employed: Dec 2016 – May 2017
Working in a small team, myself and two other students developed/revamped the University library's website to adopt the MVC architectural pattern. Furthermore, developments were made to ensure easier maintenance of the site and easier code interpretation for future developers.
Code was also restructured and units re-coded to improve efficiency and performance; this was achieved by implementing more effective coding principles/concepts.
This sort of work introduced me to the importance of working in a small team when coding a project together. We ensured we met frequently and had a great understanding of what each of us was working on at any given point. We would also refer back to the project manager whenever aid was needed. I gracefully tackled various coding/time-management challenges, such as learning the MVC architecture alongside studying for my degree.
Role: Retail Assistant
Company Name: Primark Stores Limited
Dates Employed: Apr 2016 – Sep 2016
Working in a fast-paced environment, ensuring customer's needs were met in a timely and judicious manner, greatly developed my problem-solving and interpersonal skills. In order to meet goals set by my manager, while ensuring I go out of my way to be of service to customers, I had to learn to manage my time and become as efficient - yet effective - as possible.
Delegating tasks and working with others has meant that I am now more adept when working in a team and have the confidence to take the role of team-leader.
My main responsibility as a sales assistant is to deliver a satisfying experience to each customer. This is achieved by: being as friendly, patient, informative and empathetic as possible to ensure the customer feels that their time is important to me and that a connection is established; ensuring I am pro-active around the workplace and understanding fully that the customer is always the main priority; maintaining a clean shopping environment.
Role: Computing Tutor (Python)
Company Name: Voluntary
Dates Employed: Sep 2014 – Dec 2014
Studying the Python language at A-Level, I took my learning a step further by becoming a tutor for a GCSE computing student.
By setting various programming challenges and walking through programs/functions step-by-step, I helped my student develop his understanding of the language. Furthermore, doing this developed my understanding of the language and I also felt great satisfaction from observing how my expertise could help out another person to such an extent.
Role: Retail Assistant
Company Name: TK Maxx
Dates Employed: Oct 2013 – Oct 2014
Maintaining a job while studying at college and having other commitments was a welcomed challenge. Teaching me the importance of organisation and discipline, I was able to prove myself at work and was taken on to work as a permanent member of staff. Furthermore, I ensured my commitments to work did not affect my focus towards college and my studies.
computer skills lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest computer programming lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, C++ lessons for all!
Taking programming languages lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||£10|