My goals as a teacher in Chinese studies are to impart knowledge of Chinese language, culture, economy and society, and to help students gain competence in further study and employment. There are two main principles guide me through the six years’ teaching.
Firstly, effective teaching should be student-centered with the consideration of individual needs. Language teaching should take into account students’ needs. An effective teacher needs to be flexible, creative, and resourceful.
Secondly, good teachers not only deliver knowledge, but also motivate students. A motivated student assumes responsibility and ownership for their own learning and goes beyond any requirements to pursue their own interests and goals inspired by the course. Therefore inspiring students with motivation is the key to ensure successful learning.
I have very good teaching experience in Mandarin language and Chinese cultural studies area. During the last 6 years I had worked in three UK Universities and taught Mandarin modules from beginner’s level to advanced level. I am also an experienced teacher for school age children. Each year I recommended high achieving students to summer shcool, scholarship or job opportunities in China.
10/2003 – 12/2007 Ph.D. in Social Science, Department of Civic Design, University of Liverpool, UK
09/2000 – 06/2002 M.Sc. in Social and Environmental Studies, School of Environment, Tsinghua University (University of Cambridge Equivalent in China), Beijing, China
09/1996 – 07/2000 B. Eng. in Environmental Science, School of Environment, Tsinghua University (University of Cambridge Equivalent in China), Beijing, China
04/2016 – current Vice Director (UK-based) of Xijiao Cambridge International Education Research Institute, Xi’an Jiaotong University, China
1. Develop academic cooperation between XJTU and overseas HEIs
2. Manage business plan of UK branch
3. Apply for internal and external Research funds
4. Manage research projects in Contemporary Chinese Studies and International Educations
09/2015 – 08/2016 Senior Lecturer in Chinese Studies & Programme Leader, Department of Modern Languages, University of Chester, UK.
1. Assumed academic leadership of Chinese studies
2. Delivered core undergraduate Chinese language and content modules:
3. Designed new modules and new Single Honours programme in Chinese Studies
4. Managed study and work placement in China
5. Supervised research projects
09/2012 – 06/2015 Lecturer in Chinese Studies, Liverpool Business School, Liverpool John Moores University, UK.
1. Designed and delivered four level 6 undergraduate modules:
2. Marked/assessed assignments and examinations and provide feedback to students, participate assessment boards.
3. Mentored international students as their personal tutor
4. Participated in cooperation programmes with partner universities in China
5. Supervised undergraduates degree dissertations
6. Co-supervised Ph.D students’ research projects
02/2011 – 09/2012 Tutor/Programme Manager, Liverpool Confucius Institute, University of Liverpool, UK.
1. Designed and Delivered Chinese language and culture modules
2. Managed intensive language training programmes and summer school programmes
3. Supervised students’ applications for scholarships and internships in China;
4. Built and maintained network with partnership organisation in the UK and China.
02/2010 – 01/2011 Lecturer, Shangqiu Normal University, Henan Province, China
1. Taught postgraduate modules in social science subjects
2. Served on 2 university committees and acted as chair of the research Committee.
3. Developed and delivered engaging lectures to undergraduate and graduate students.
4. Planned, evaluated and revised course content and course materials.
02/2005 – 10/2006 Part-time Research Assistant, Department of Civic Design, University of Liverpool, UK
World Bank funded project: Strategic Environmental Assessment Implementation in China.
05/2002 – 07/2003 Environmental Officer, State Ministry of Environmental Protection, China.
1. Conducted survey within wide range of industrial enterprises, analysed data and wrote report for policy making purpose.
2. Organised training workshop and conference about new environmental performance assessment initiative
3. Implemented innovative programmes to increase industrial sector's environmental performance
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£25||Not available||£25|
|10 hours||£22||Not available||£250|