A passionate and experienced drummer and teacher, I seek fresh tuition opportunities with new students. A confident teacher with methods of proven success, I am comfortable teaching most modern styles of music to students of all ages and abilities.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
Drum kit/drums & percussion - I teach the following genres/styles:
• Heavy metal
• Drum N' Bass
• R n' B
Also providing specialist technique studies:
• Hand & foot technique - from basic grips to advanced systems such as Moeller method and constant-release kick technique
• Contemporary coordination concepts; independence & interdependence
• Sight reading & rhythm knowledge
In addition, I can also offer my students:
• Gear maintenance lessons, advice and support (this includes full kit set-up and tuning service)
• Assistance with realistic goal-setting, and creating effective and practical practice schedules
• Audition and examination preparation sessions
• Long-term mentoring and advice on further education/career options
- Tell me about your qualifications.
Alongside my private drum studies, I studied mathematics and hold the following:
• MMath Master of Mathematics degree with Class I Honours (University of Warwick, 2007-11)
- How much do you charge?
My fees are as follows:
• 30-minute home-visit session: £20.00 (£15 lesson rate + £5 to cover time and expense of travel)
• 45-minute home-visit session: £27.50 (£22.50 lesson rate + £5 to cover time and expense of travel)
• 60-minute home-visit session: £35.00 (£30 lesson rate + £5 to cover time and expense of travel)
I am also happy to teach longer sessions and run week-long intensive courses - please contact to discuss rates.
Discounts are also available for large block bookings - please contact to discuss.
All listed prices include student handouts and all supplementary lesson material (given either to the student during sessions or sent via e-mail), such as practice charts, summary sheets and playalong tracks.
*CANCELLATIONS: As a general rule, your cancellation of a lesson with less than 24 hours notice may still be charged the full lesson rate. There can be no exceptions (except at my discretion) to this policy due to the fact that you are removing my ability to schedule another student in this time slot.*
- Where do you teach?
Currently I teach my students in the comfort of their own home or studio - I am based in Leamington Spa, so I can cover the whole town. I also have students in and around Coventry, Kenilworth, Rugby and Birmingham. Essentially, if you live in Warwickshire then the chances are I'll be able to visit you!
I am also in the process of building my own home studio and tuition space - once this is complete I will also be offering lessons here, too.
- When are you available?
I am readily available for tuition throughout the summer period, and I am flexible to suit each student regarding lesson times and dates.
From September onwards (during school term times), I am unavailable Wednesday and Friday afternoons (~4pm - ~7pm), and Saturday mornings due to teaching commitments elsewhere. Outside of these hours, I am again flexible with times and dates.
I strive to meet all of my students' requires, so please feel free to enquire about my availability - I will always try to arrange things to cater for you as best I can.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
I am able to cover and enjoy teaching most modern styles of music to students of all ages and abilities, from 6-year-old new starters right through to veteran touring players twice my age, and everything in between!
I am happy and confident in delivery any kind of drum lesson to any kind of student, whether it's your first drum lesson and you need to throne lowered so that you can actually reach the pedals, right through to instruction on contemporary coordination concepts, independence and interdependence, and cutting edge, high-end 21st century drumming techniques.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
I do not force my students to enter any sort of grade exams or follow their systems, as I feel my own teaching method combined with the Drumsense programme provides a comprehensive and enjoyable learning experience, in which all areas in syllabii such as those of Rockschool and Trinity Guildhall are covered.
I feel my method not only covers that material, but also educates the student on a much deeper level (covering subjects which some grade exams do not), and also holds (in my opinion) far more relevance to modern day music, having a much more readily available contemporary application. In fact, many of my students who have followed my methods have requested to occasionally be entered for such exams (for school entrance, etc.), and are immediately fluent with the material - all passed with distinction.
That said, I am happy to follow Rockschool and Trinity Guildhall syllabii from the outset if you wish.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
I am also available for tuition via Skype, and already teach many students in the USA, Canada via this platform. This is useful for mentoring, progress reports, exercise dictation for the more advanced player and general career advice. I also use this platform to monitor some of my students who currently board at specialist music colleges.
As with tuition in person, this service also includes emails of exercises and practice routines in .pdf form, and I can also offer online tuition via video exchange - that is, the student records themselves playing and talking about their progress/asking for help etc., and then I record a video response back to that student, commenting on their initial video and providing support.
Please contact me to further discuss this service/rates.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
"Excellence is a habit, not a virtue."
- What kind of experience do you have?
A passionate and experienced drummer and teacher, I am looking to expand my student base and seek fresh tuition opportunities with new players and students. I have several years of tuition experience (both privately and through music schools), and also a wealth of live and studio experience with various artists.
A confident teacher with methods of proven success, I am able to cover and enjoy teaching most modern styles of music to students of all ages and abilities (from 6-year-old new starters right through to veteran touring players twice my age, and everything in between!) and specialise in contemporary rock and advanced drumset playing.
Below is some more information regarding my tuition experience and my educational method:
• I've been teaching privately for several years, initially around the Coventry and Birmingham area before relocating to London and establishing a student base in areas such as Ladbroke Grove, Holland Park and Euston. Whilst visiting these students in person, I continue to teach students in the USA and Canada – via Skype (please contact me to discuss online tuition). Now back in Leamington Spa, I continue to visit my London students and schools a couple of days a week and am now available for tuition in Warwickshire again.
• Able to travel pretty much anywhere in Warwickshire, I currently teach my students in the comfort of their own homes (though I am currently taking steps to acquire my own teaching space) from my own materials, which have been carefully assembled and are based on experience amassed from not only teaching, but also live and studio performance.
• More recently, I have become a fully certified instructor of Colin Woolway's Drumsense teaching programme, which I have integrated into my own methods to provide a comprehensive and enjoyable learning experience.
As a tutor, I offer:
• A clear, structured learning approach with an emphasis on focus and setting goals
• All rhythmic theory and technique to advanced levels
• Years of experience teaching all ages and levels across a full spectrum of styles and subjects
• Genuine enthusiasm for helping beginners take their first steps on the instrument
• Relaxed, informal attitude and commitment to helping my students develop to their own full potential
THE RHYTHM STUDIO:
Aside from my private Drumsense tuition, I am also currently a leading member of the Rhythm Studio (Ladbroke Grove, W10) drum faculty. My responsibilities and contributions here have included (but are not limited to):
• One-to-one and group drum instruction across a broad spectrum of ages (with students as young as 6 and some as old as 50) and abilities, having taught those who have never held a stick before right through to seasoned touring professionals.
• Course instructor and content contributor of the Rock and Pop Academy course (tiered, graded syllabus of music performance skills), I alone have taught and assessed the drumming portion of the course since its inception. I am responsible for all instruction and grading of all students in the drum stream, with much of the course material being based on my personal teaching method which I have been using with my students for several years.
• I am the first member of teaching staff to deliver group drum lessons. After much success and great popularity, this developed into the aforementioned Rock & Pop Academy drum syllabus.
• I also pride myself in holding a 100% pass rate with Distinction for all my students who enter into Rockschool grade examinations with The Rhythm Studio.
• Admission assessments
• Progress reports for children
• Helping with organisation and co-ordination for all school showcase concerts
• Running classes for underprivileged children through the Rhythm Studio
• Member of the Faculty Band
• Keyholder and money handler
GUEST TUITION APPEARANCES:
• Guest tutor by invitation at the 2010 International Guitar Foundation (IGF) Rock Camp at the Guitar Institute in London, delivering a self-written one hour masterclass; 'Rhythmic Subdivision & Manipulation in a Contemporary Metal Context'.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION/OTHER DETAILS:
• Confident and experienced performer and educator
• Several years of teaching experience, and also a seasoned touring player, having toured nationwide with a variety of bands and artists
• Studied privately for many years with world-reknown instructors such as Thomas Lang (private tuition and Bootcamp attendee), Benny Greb (Mastersession attendee), Travis Orbin and Tony Nash
• Specialist drumset technique instructor, teaching modern concepts such as advanced foot technique and multi-pedal/double bass drum playing, contemporary coordination, independence and interdependence, and also rudimental studies with a view to increasing improvisation skills and creativity
• Able to record and/or program professional drum tracks to order
• Strong knowledge of modern day electronic drum sets, e.g. Roland V-Drums and Yamaha DTX
• Now a member of the Vic Firth artist roster as a member of the company Education team
I also hold the following additional certificates:
• Ful enhanced DBS certficate
• Bush Fire Safety and Awareness Training Course - pass mark 100%
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
Yes, I hold a clean, up-to-date Full Enhanced DBS Disclosure Certificate.
- Where and with whom did you train?
Over the years I have been lucky enough to study with some of the world's greats. I first studied basic technique with Tony Nash in Bournemouth, UK in 2004, before becoming absolutely driven to ensure my life revolved around music and drumming.
Whilst at Warwick I then progressed onto more serious studies, taking lessons with Travis Orbin and Derek Roddy via video exchange, and then attending the Benny Greb 'Master Session' camp in Germany. More recently I have studied with world-famous drummer and educator Thomas Lang via ArtistWorks, Cristiano Castellitto of Berklee and Tommy Igoe.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
Yes, I am a full member of the Musician's Union (MU).
- Tell me about some of your current students.
My current students span a range of ages from 6 to 52, and I am at present working with all manner of student levels - I have some students who have only been holding the sticks for a couple of weeks, and one who plays in a busy touring band all over the world.
I work closely with my students to come up with a learning path for them to help them realise their own personal musical visions (whether it's to be a hobbyist player who plays in pub bands on the weekends, or to be leading the new breed of modern-day superdrummers) which also gives them a solid foundation and all-round command of the instrument itself.
Below is a selection of testimonials from students (and their parents) past and present:
"If you ever need help with technique, like myself, or indeed anything to do with the drum kit then Leigh is your man. He is attentive, precise and lets nothing slip through the net. Whether it's rudiments, sight-reading, or simply learning your favourite track, Leigh will get it done quickly but accurately, leaving nothing untouched. All genres of drumming are covered, and Leigh has introduced me to drummers and techniques that I did not even know existed, bringing the more contemporary and engaging style of teaching into play."
• Maxwell, 16
"Leigh has given me a few lessons in the couple of years that I've known him - he is an amazing teacher and an awesome guy. Not to mention his awesome drum skills! I aspire to one day become as good as he is; as a drummer, and a teacher."
• Alfie, 12
"I don't think Jack could praise you highly enough as his teacher, mentor and role model. What can it mean for a boy of twelve with a bit of ability and a pretty rigorous classical music foundation to meet a drummer who takes seriously his obsession with music and has the knowledge to challenge him intellectually, the skill to challenge him technically, and the personal resourcefulness to be his friend while channelling all his wilful intensity? At fourteen, Jack is still at it, getting more serious, and you are still his hero and have never let him down so far! I hope you both keep drumming forever."
• Katherine on my lessons with her son Jack, 14
"Leigh has inspired our 9 y/o son to play the drums brilliantly. Oscar played his first gig at a pub in Kilburn and nailed it. Brilliant tuition - cannot recommend highly enough. Leigh's next challenge will be to do the same with my daughter and may be even get Dad going!"
• Barry on my lessons with his son Oscar, 9
"Leigh has encouraged and given our daughter confidence to play and enjoy drumming. She loves learning from Leigh and looks forward to every lesson - he has helped our daughter to focus and put together a live performance that we are proud of. He is an inspirational teacher as well as a great musician!"
• Tomomi on my lessons with her daughter Amelie, 11
• Holds a full CRB Enhanced Disclosure certificate
• Musician's Union Member
If you ever need help with technique or anything to do with the drum kit then Leigh is your man. He is attentive, precise and lets nothing slip through the net. Whether it's rudiments, sight-reading, or learning your favourite track, Leigh will get it done quickly and accurately. All genres are covered, and Leigh has introduced me to techniques that I did not even know existed, bringing the more contemporary and engaging style of teaching into play.
Leigh has given me a few lessons in the couple of years that I've known him - he is an amazing teacher and an awesome guy. Not to mention his awesome drum skills! I aspire to one day become as good as he is; as a drummer, and a teacher.
I don't think Jack could praise you highly enough as his teacher, mentor and role model. What can it mean for a boy of twelve with a bit of ability and a classical music foundation to meet a drummer who has the knowledge to challenge him intellectually, the skill to challenge him technically, and the personal resourcefulness to be his friend while channelling all his wilful intensity? At fourteen, Jack is still at it, getting more serious, and you are still his hero and have never let him down so far!
drum lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|