My teaching method is learner centered in the sense that I allow the student to construct knowledge for themselves (Constructivist Approach) and I merely act as a guide. By doing this I ensure that the student truly understands what he/she is learning and that 'parrot learning' is avoided.
As far as possible, I base my lessons on realistic situations in order to highlight the importance of the subject matter in real life. By focusing on the relevance, the student is more inclined to develop a sense of interest and find the subject matter to be useful.
I believe that learning stems further than what is said in the textbook. My aim is to have my students truly learn something, be it from a textbook, from something I tell them or from something they discover for themselves. Nonetheless, learning is something that can happen everywhere and I try to make learning English as pleasing as possible for everyone I encounter.
I have recently emigrated from South Africa to South Wales. I am currently in my third year of my Bachelor of Education degree, which focuses specifically on psychology and languages.
I have offered private English tutoring from home which yielded an average improvement of 10% in each of my students. Apart from this, I have also served as a full-time teacher for a year where I taught English to Grade 6 (12 year olds) and Grade 7 (13/14 year olds). My teaching proved to have inspired a new appreciation for the language within my students.
The English language is very close to my heart, hence I make an effort to make my lessons as fun and interesting as possible in order to have my students learn to enjoy the language as much as I do. Proof of my love for the language is displayed in the fact that I passed my Grade 12 year (equivalent of GCSE) with 86% and a consistent performance in all English-related subjects thus far in my degree.
Ages 10 - 14
£15 p/hour incl. travel within a radius of 10km
Ages 15 - 18
£20 p/hour incl. travel within a radius of 10km
Long term contracts may be discussed for a better rate.
* Cancellations need to be made 48 hours in advance to avoid being charged for the lesson.
University of South Africa (distant learning)
Bachelor of Education
To be completed at the end of 2020
- Grade 12 I passed with 6 distinctions out of my 7 subjects. English being 86%.
- I was the top Public Speaker in my High School having reached numerous provincial levels in competitions as well as my Colours Scroll.
- I received Cum Laude for my academic performance 3 years in a row.
- I was elected as a school prefect in my Grade 12 year.
- I have tutored students privately for a total of 2 years. Students ranged from age 10 - 16 and subjects covered included English and Mathematics.
- I have formally taught at a school in South Africa covering English, Mathematics and Afrikaans for students aged 10 - 13/14. Some achievements & responsibilities included:
• Coaching of the Drama & Debating Club with an overall achievement of 1 Silver, 1 Gold, and 8 Double Gold certificates at the 2018 Eisteddfod
• Guiding a group of learners in the World Scholar’s Cup which resulted in a range of excellent results including Silver & Gold medals
• Planning and implementation of creative lessons
• Absentee monitoring
• Effective teaching of the English Home Language (Grade 6 & 7) syllabus, Afrikaans First Additional Language (Grade 6) syllabus, and Mathematics (Grade 4) syllabus
• Compiling of formal & informal assessments i.e. tests, case studies, reading comprehensions, practical tasks
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, english literature lessons for all!
Taking creative writing lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|