I am an experienced, enthusiastic and cheerful tutor who loves to make English accessible to all, whether your looking for help with it as a second language, or are doing GCSE's and for those moving on to A level - or even little ones as they start on their journey to English success in literature and language.I aim to complement school lessons, to work with the curriculum, but my main aim is to instill greater confidence in my students and making the process of learning enjoyable. Planning, organisation and consistency are key to effective learning, and I encourage my students to work in this way. Most importantly English is not to be scared of!! It enables you to succeed across a raft of subjects and in itself it can be a very rewarding subject, and opens the door not only to reading but contextually can shed light upon how certain books/poems/plays fit into the fabric of history. As a second language it can enable you to have a greater choice of employment. I can help with all these aspects. Feel free to contact me and discuss your needs, and I can tailor your learning with a bespoke lessons just for you!
The rate maybe subject to a small variation if travel is involved. This can be negotiated prior to a lesson being booked.
I have a six year history of tuition and have worked in a number of places and in different ways. I have taught in a mosque, a well known public school, online, in state schools, in language schools, home schooling groups, and on a one to one basis. I have spent some time with children who have been adversely affected by their social situations and require some serious intervention and have got them to pass GCSE English Language and Literature. I have taught well over 40 students individually with nearly all of them having a successful outcome. My teaching of English as a Foreign Language has also been successful and has incorporated teaching a variety of nationalities. I have been told on many occasions that my lessons are enjoyable and that I have a motivational personality, which is my personal aim: to transfer my passion for the subject onto my students in order for them to be successful.
AMANDA ELIZABETH SMART
11 Barnham House
Mobile: (concealed information)8
Home: (concealed information)5
Self employed private tutor:
English Made Easy:
English tuition in my home, student’s homes, online or in a school environment.
• Ability to work in diverse environments.
• Work effectively in conjunction with national curriculum: GCE, A Level, IELTS, Entrance Exams.
• Observation of school and work rules. • Adaptation of variety of teaching methods to suit each pupil.
• Management of class behaviour and individuals as required. Work well within school or parental
• Organisational skills.
• Crisis intervention.
• Technical ability for online work.
• Proficient use of computer systems.
• Ability to work independently- or occasional team teaching. • Management of business finances.
• Planning and delivery of high quality lessons. Commitment to student growth and academic
• Functional skills, EFL, English Language, English Literature specialisms.
• Punctual and flexible.
• Self motivated and tenacious.
• Motivational and engaging for students.
• Affable, patient and calm teaching manner.
Invigilator: University of Southampton
• Invigilation of university degree exams.
• Flexible, reliable and punctual.
• Ability to implement change of circumstances as necessary.
• Can work independently and as part of a team. • Confident moderation of very large exams and delivery of necessary instructions to students.
• Can moderate computer aided exams.
• Can moderate additional requirements exams. • Adherence to legalities of university policy
Fareham Academy: Fareham, Hampshire.
Setting up of reading space from scratch in a secondary school with no previous library. This included balancing library budgets, book orders, using a variety of library systems to monitor stock control and cataloguing. The purchase and integration of external materials to engage
students, such as wall designs, topical reading material and information, and including other reading materials such as magazines, blogs and podcasts.I also included subject and author collections that mirrored the national curriculum. I implemented the Accelerated Reader programme and worked closely with the English department to encourage and assess the reading abilities of students, and to monitor progress. I also organised author visits and book readings, and visits to other libraries to see operation of alternative library set ups.
• Word and excel proficiency.
• Book ordering and distribution.
• Use of Dewey classification system.
• Accelerated reader implementation.
• Inspirational ideas and library design.
• Organisation of the library space.
• Organisation of external trips related to the library.
• National book week events.
• Good relationships and engagement with students to encourage good reading habits.
The Randolph School of Language.
Certificate of Teaching English as a Foreign Language (CELTA)
• Extensive organisation.
• Intensive course.
• Extremely motivated.
• Ability to grasp different skill set than previously known. • Worked well with a team.
• Class teaching.
• Lesson delivery.
The University of Southampton
I am currently completing an MA (Hons) in English Literary Studies. I do this in combination with my work as a private tutor.
• Self motivation.
• Well organised.
• Effective use of computer systems.
• Visits to appropriate institutions for research purposes.
• Extensive researching capabilities.
• Ability to work mostly on own.
• Regular attendance of seminars, lectures and supervision.
The Open University
BA (Hons) in English Literature (2:1)
Management of degree studies with home life as a single mum. Organisational skills were paramount to my success. Regular attendance of seminars and lectures. The degree was computer based and I used new integrated online services run specifically by the OU to submit essays and use online forums and other resources.I did particularly well in the examinable component of the degree.
• Self motivated.
• Combination of studying with home life.
• Management of student and home finances.
• Independent thought.
• Desire to succeed.
Associate member of The New Era Academy of Speech and Dramatic Art.
Dragon Naturally Speech Recognition Software
Word Mind mapping programmes REFERENCES.
(concealed information) (teaching agency ref)
(concealed information) ( invigilation ref)
(concealed information) (private tuition ref)
(concealed information) ( online or home tuition agency)
(concealed information) (library ref)
I have built my career around the educational specialisms that I have achieved since my
children have left home. I am a committed, engaging, reliable and hardworking individual with a proven track record in helping students achieve their academic goals. I have
worked in many different academic environments from public schools to a mosque: and
have therefore been exposed to a variety of cultural diversity and needs. I have also
worked with very low ability learners as well as high achievers and those with behaviour
disadvantages such as ADHD and Aspergers.I am equally able to work and motivate
online as well as in the classroom or in homes. I am currently finishing my MA in English Literary Studies. My particular research field is Irish female short story writers. I am
doing this with a view to a PHD in the future. I am a very personable individual who has excellent communication skills that really help to engage my students. I am proud of my
achievements both personally and publicly and hope to continue to run my tuition business with continued success.
• Current DBS update service subscribed.
esol (english) lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, vocabulary - english lessons for all!
Taking oral comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£25||Not available||£20|
|5 hours||£23||Not available||£100|
|10 hours||£22||Not available||£200|